Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wisdom in the Dharma

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran
edited September 2020 in Buddhism Today

I have recently been wondering about the function of wisdom in the dharma. I read a primer on it on the Dutch-language Boeddhaforum website which contained many sutra references, and while some of it was rather circular such as “wisdom helps develop the path, the essence of wisdom is right view, therefore wisdom accords with the path” there were other references which pointed to wisdom as a separate quality which helped develop the dharma.

The primer was in Dutch but I’ve gotten together a Google Translate powered English version for you, here is the link:

Wisdom in the Dharma Primer in English

Perhaps some people will find it an interesting read, although it is quite long.

Wisdom is better than any wealth.
Because through wisdom you obtain the ultimate goal.
Because people commit bad deeds through ignorance
While they live on life fail to reach the goal. (MN82)

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Here I thought the function of wisdom in the Dharma simply describes what leads anyone towards suffering's cessation.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@how said:
    Here I thought the function of wisdom in the Dharma simply describes what leads anyone towards suffering's cessation.

That is another case of a self-referential description, it doesn’t describe what wisdom is or how to develop it. There are a lot of instances where it is referred to in the sutra’s, and some clarify this a little.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Wisdom is a word. To a Buddhist it's described as the path and the means from moving from selfishness to selflessness, from harmfulness to harmlessness or the 4NT/ 8 FP/DO/ converting greed, hate & delusion into compassion, love and yes...wisdom.
    To protest about a lack of a description for what wisdom is or how to develop it is like a fish protesting that he has no proof that water exists. The entire Buddhist Cannon is the embodiment of what you claim you can not see.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

You could certainly apply a larger definition of wisdom in that way. A narrower definition though is tricky to pin down, and when you investigate the sutras for what they have to say about it you end up with, as the primer above shows, a somewhat fragmentary image, but of an important concept that does have influence.

Perhaps it’s impossible to really get it clear.

how
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Asking an illusionary conglomeration of karmic vibrations to use one of its most self compromised sense gates to come up with a narrow definition of its own existence (or what I call wisdom), is a pretty tall order.
    The real answer to wisdoms definition, which is obscured only by a mind more interested in it's own empire building than in wisdom's true source, is unlikely to ever be understood unless a spiritual practice is able to demote said mind off it's own throne and have it back collegially sharing life's stage with all the other sense gates.
    For me, both narrow and wide definitions of wisdom arise simply from the equation of equanimity.

Shoshin1Kotishka
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

This is modern psychology's take on wisdom, what it is, how it is gained. I haven't seen any in depth comparison with Buddhism's understanding of wisdom, but to my mind it looks to match up well enough.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/wisdom

I read it, there are a few different peoples views cited in that article, but no consensus emerges.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

The Pali term panna is often defined as reason, wisdom, insight, knowledge, recognition, and discernment. It's a type of knowledge that comes from the combination of experience and reflection. In Buddhism, wisdom begins by asking the following questions:

What is skillful, venerable sir? What is unskillful? What is blameworthy? What is blameless? What should be cultivated? What should not be cultivated? What, having been done by me, will be for my long-term harm & suffering? Or what, having been done by me, will be for my long-term welfare & happiness? (MN 135, Thanissaro)

According to MN 43, "The purpose of discernment is direct knowledge, its purpose is full comprehension, its purpose is abandoning."

And it culminates with insight into and direct knowledge of the four noble truths, the knowledge of release, and the "cessation of this entire mass of stress and suffering" (AN 10.92).

I see wisdom as stages. The first is seeing the benefit of trying to be as harmless as possible. The second is exploring the mind and its relation to experience, peeling apart our experience of the world like a banana tree. And finally, the stage of "aha, it's like this."

lobsterShoshin1Jeffrey

@Kerome said:
    I have recently been wondering about the function of wisdom in the dharma. I read a primer on it on the Dutch-language Boeddhaforum website which contained many sutra references, and while some of it was rather circular such as “wisdom helps develop the path, the essence of wisdom is right view, therefore wisdom accords with the path” there were other references which pointed to wisdom as a separate quality which helped develop the dharma.

The primer was in Dutch but I’ve gotten together a Google Translate powered English version for you, here is the link:

Wisdom in the Dharma Primer in English

Perhaps some people will find it an interesting read, although it is quite long.

Wisdom is better than any wealth.
    Because through wisdom you obtain the ultimate goal.
    Because people commit bad deeds through ignorance
    While they live on life fail to reach the goal. (MN82)

I think it's a pretty good primer on wisdom utilizing many of the references in the Pali Canon.

• ChoephalChoephal UK Veteran
    edited September 2020

The Sanskrit term is prajna. It carries meanings far beyond the English term, it’s not just an ability to problem solve resulting from life experience, or to give meaning to ones actions. It refers to an innate faculty which when realised points to right action. This is Direct Knowledge, knowledge which does not depend on concepts or data.
    In the Mahayana it is invariably paired with karuna..compassion. Wisdom and compassion are often described as the two wings of a bird, both are needed for the bird of Dharma to fly...Forgive the flowery metaphor...🙂

lobsterKotishka

@Choephal said:
    The Sanskrit term is prajna. It carries meanings far beyond the English term, it’s not just an ability to problem solve resulting from life experience, or to give meaning to ones actions. It refers to an innate faculty which when realised points to right action. This is Direct Knowledge, knowledge which does not depend on concepts or data.
    In the Mahayana it is invariably paired with karuna..compassion. Wisdom and compassion are often described as the two wings of a bird, both are needed for the bird of Dharma to fly...Forgive the flowery metaphor...🙂

I think this is a good point. Ajahn Chah taught that wisdom is like a knife, and that right knowledge or understanding must have a solid foundation of goodness (virtue) and mental steadiness (concentration), otherwise it can be used to cut the wrong things, like other people, instead of the right things, like attachments.

ChoephalShoshin1lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2020

As some of you know I am extremely virtuous [and also nearly as humble as the little trump]. Even my farts are virtuous ... I offer them as perfume to the hell dwellers ... It is a tantra thing ...

Really like the points being made. Worth studying for clues ...

Be Good!
    Bodhi Mother Beings to krill

OM MANY PER FU ME HUMMM ...

@Jason said with red link:
    I see wisdom as stages. The first is seeing the benefit of trying to be as harmless as possible. The second is exploring the mind and its relation to experience, peeling apart our experience of the world like a banana tree. And finally, the stage of aha, it's like this

https://buddhismnow.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/itslikethis-ajahn-chah.pdf

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited January 2021

@Choephal said:
    The Sanskrit term is prajna. It carries meanings far beyond the English term [...]

A wide range of meanings indeed, and even a wider range of behaviours:

Śākyamuni Buddha resided within the fourth dhyāna in the heavenly mansion of Maheśvara Devarāja in the company of the limitless host of Mahābrahmā Devarājas of the heavens and with an incredibly multitudinous host of bodhisattvas.

Coming out of deep dhyāna, the Lord spoke of the Sermon of the Lotus Vault, he spoke the Sermon of the Womb of the World-Systems. He spoke of the sermon which Vairocana Buddha spoke, which is the Sermon of the Dharma Gate of the Mind-Ground. Then from Śākyamuni Buddha's body radiated a luminous prajñā (是時釋迦身放慧光) which brightened, in the minds of the assembly, the celestial palaces of the heavens and then on high, ascending to the Lotus Vault, to the Womb of the World-Systems, where they witnessed Vairocana Buddha enthroned with one million lotus blossoms in a bright brilliant constellation around him.

(T1484.997b12 盧舍那佛說菩薩心地戒品 Vairocana Speaks the Sermon of the Bodhisattva Mind-Ground [abridged])

When was the last time "luminous wisdom" shone on you? It's a wonderful image, regardless if it means a visual miracle or an illuminating insight communicated wordlessly.

At 2:50 we have some very reliable documentary footage of Mahāvīra shining a bright wisdom down upon himself. o:) Not counterfeit at all, I'm sure...

• Always other dharmic religions to explore if Buddhism loses its soarkle ...
    https://www.livehistoryindia.com/photo-essays/2019/01/02/jainism-its-cosmic-view

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

The "shining" wisdom got me thinking...

I adapted this out of the Flower Garland Sutra some time ago.

If you see a river, pray that beings gain entrance into the stream and into the ocean of wisdom. If you see a reservoir, pray that beings swiftly taste the one taste of the Dharma. If you see a pond, pray that beings become great in locution and skillful in preaching. If you see a well, pray that beings draw deep from the well of reason to disclose all dharmas. If you see a spring, pray that beings have inexhaustible roots of virtue. If you see a bridge, pray that beings carry all across to safety, as via a bridge. If you see a waterfall, pray that all beings cleanse the stains of delusion.

A lot of people don't like the idea of the words "pray" and "prayer" in Buddhism. If "prayer" isn't for you, maybe "wish" instead? A prayer can be a wish, an intention, a psychic transmission of goodwill. "I pray you make it home safe." "I am sending my goodwill with you that, if it can help at all, you might be safe." Many would say that meditation itself is a kind of "prayer." A prayer to what? For what? Does prayer need an "object?" Many Buddhists also do not like to say "worship," but where does "reverence and wonder" end and "worship" begin? When we observe the Buddha's precepts, they are said to "shine." "Vinayakammāni dippanti," "They make their upholdings of the discipline shine." Shining things are wondrous, no?

I would very much like to be mindful of water like this piece adapted out of the Flower Garland whenever I see a river, stream, etc. We will see how long I remember to "pray" and if I can make anything "shine" this year.

Jeffreyperson