Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• @how
    Yes. I originally drove for 20 years starting in 1966. Hung up the spurs at the Mrs's "request". Let license laps (opps!).
    I elected to take the MSF course as a refresher and to correct bad habits.
    Failed the first time because I was mentally not at the course (heavily distracted).
    Life said "tisk! tisk!" and gave be a light "Karma kick" { :)=)
    Second time around - alert, on station and had fun. B):3
    Now I have to stand in line for bout 2.5 hr, take the written DMV test, and select my "death missile" of choice. (or a scooter).

lobsterhowBunksShoshin1
  • Not random nor useless. I just read this and wanted to pass it along for consideration without starting a discussion.

“A revolution on a world scale will take a very long time. But it is also possible to recognize that it is already starting to happen. The easiest way to get our minds around it is to stop thinking about revolution as a thing — ‘the’ revolution, the great cataclysmic break—and instead ask ‘what is revolutionary action?’ We could then suggest: revolutionary action is any collective action which rejects, and therefore confronts, some form of power or domination and in doing so, reconstitutes social relations—even within the collectivity—in that light. Revolutionary action does not necessarily have to aim to topple governments.”

– David Graeber (Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology)

lobsterShoshin1
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I will be more hopeful for the potential of any revolution to address sufferings cause when it is accompanied with no less of a call for our internal transformation of attitude than it asks of everyone elses. Often the most revolutionary action is actually the addressing of our own karmic inertia to any issue instead of obfuscating our own contributions to the status quo beneath a banner of activism through focusing on what changes one thinks that the world should first make.

BunksShoshin1lobster
  • Bravo @how

Exactly right.

I will be posting the 'wisdom of DJ Trump' shortly, just as I have posted goodly quotes from A Hitler, the well known little corporal.

Come to think of it, here will do:

• Be positive
    • Can do or be terminated (fired)
    • Reality is what you make it
    • Self and family first
    • Don't do drink or drugs
    Bunks
  • Just having a nice cuppa Zen

lobsterJeroenVastmind
  • Wonderful advice @Shoshin from Bodhi tea box. <3

Reminder or heedless ignoranting? Everything or rather us as everything (Mind), is like this. For example this is a thread of fun irrelevance but:

• Am ordering bulbs for winter and Sprung (like Spring on early day release)
    • Iz comedian a funatic? Yallah Be Praised.
    • No news is good news. Another addiction to be passed up ...
    Shoshin1Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I like the Zen tea package. Good advice!

Shoshin1Bunks
  • The tea is quite refreshing...

Bunks
  • Beautiful Spring day...just spent the afternoon walking with a friend along the beach having a nice Dharma chat on anger, patience, attachment, impermanence and emptiness....

Walkerlobster
  • widescreen tv and walking on the spot ...

BunksShoshin1
  • Met a man sitting at a table.
    He said:
    If you think you know - You don't
    If you think you might know - you might be wrong
    If you thin you might not know - you might be right
    If you think you don't know - you do
    I left him as he continued to contemplate his chilli dog.
    =)

BunksShoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited September 2020

After work on my way down to the beach for a walk...I couldn't resist capturing this view and its colouring...

It rained a bit whilst walking along the beach, it was a good time to test out my jacket's waterproofing....

BunksWalkerlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

There’s going to be an Apple Event tomorrow around this time. I always enjoy them, the combination of new gadgets and technology is pleasant to me. They are probably going to announce new iPhones, new Apple Watches and new Macs with ARM processors. But others may find this information random and useless...

Bunks
  • "President" Trump visited California supposedly to get a direct assessment of the forest fires. The Californians tried to get him to admit that Global Warming is real. His response? " It will get cooler". O.o
    It is shocking to think that possibly 200,000 voters or less can decide the election. The electoral college can override a significant majority of American voters. Go ahead, have those triple scotch straight up.

BunkslobsterShoshin1

I feel the need for a bit more solitude these days...

lobster
  • https://mobile.twitter.com/markgeronimo_/status/1305837740190134272

@Kerome said:
    There’s going to be an Apple Event tomorrow around this time. I always enjoy them, the combination of new gadgets and technology is pleasant to me. They are probably going to announce new iPhones, new Apple Watches and new Macs with ARM processors. But others may find this information random and useless...

:p 🙏🏽😌

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2020

@Kerome said:
    I feel the need for a bit more solitude these days...

I feel the need for peeps ... in moderation. Everything in moderation except meditation ... oh I dunno ... ;)

In other useless announcements to everyone but me, got my smart tv to display/mirror what is on my iPad ...
    Yesterday I nearly fed the iPad to the dog [good thing for the dog we do not have one]

• Beautiful poem!

• The song is from Peter pan

Written by Jack Lawrence and Frank Churchill

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The crocodile is Captain Hook's great nemesis.
    She swallowed his hand after Peter Pan chopped it off, and liked the taste of it so much that she now follows Hook around, hoping to eat the rest of him.
    The croc also swallowed a clock, thus giving off a tell-tale ticking sound as she approaches.

• Waiheke Island 'full of activists and lunatics

Doug McKay, chairman of the Bank of New Zealand and Eden Park Trust, was about to make a presentation to Auckland Council's Finance and Performance meeting via Skype Thursday morning when he made the blunder.

"Waiheke was a... spot, when I was running the council and it's just full of activists and lunatics," McKay said during submissions from the Waiheke Health Trust.

"And the other people who go over there just go over for the weekend. You know, lock up their baches and go away. These lunatics stay there."

Well okay, I have to admit there are some weird & whacky people living on the island...Some wonderfully weird & whacky, whilst others are just plain nutjobs...

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Shoshin1 - that’s gold! My ex wife’s Aunty and Uncle lived on the island. They were fairly normal (apart from being alcoholics!)
    One day they took us for a walk to another beach. There was an old shack on the beachfront with no access apart from a steep path up to the road.
    Living there was this wacky Welsh guy who’d retired from being a journalist years before and had worked all over the world. You could tell he was extremely intelligent but just needed to drop out from society. Eccentric for sure! Haha

Shoshin1
  • Eccentric for sure! Haha

Yes you're right there @Bunks ...Waiheke has it all....Some of my best friends are normal...

Also from the article....(Former Auckland councilor and Waihekean Mike Lee)

"When I was at sea in the 70s and 80s the sailors called it 'Cadbury's Island - full of fruits and nuts'. We Waihekeans just ignored it," Lee said.

BunksJeroenWalker
  • Today is software freedom day.

I use Puppy Linux.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

It’s funny how looking for things sometimes confronts you with how things are different from how you remember. I was searching for my wok in amongst all the stuff that is still packed from my last house move, and I vaguely remembered it being on top in a big box. Makes for easy searching I thought. In the end I found it in the bottom of a large box of pots and pans... on the second pass through, because on the first pass I just looked in the top of the most likely boxes.

Bunks
  • Well it will soon be time for the old birthday suit to be aired out...

...and it really does need airing out... it's a bit off colour and starting to smell...;)

BunksWalker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It could probably do with ironing, as well... 🤭

Shoshin1BunksWalker
  • At the time of rebirth, I requested a wrinkle free one, but I guess I didn't have enough wholesome karma credit/merits in the account ...Oh well I guess you get what you pay for ;);)

BunksWalker
  • The week that was...
    First a white tailed spider had taken refuge in one of my tops, sitting on top on the washing machine...It wasn't pleased to see me, when I accidently disturbed it...

A misty morning this morning when walking into the village...

The mist rolled in partly obscuring people walking along the beach...

WalkerFosdick

Oooo the white tailed spider! Many an old wives tale has been told about her.
    I’m not convinced any of them are true mind you.
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.lifehacker.com.au/2020/05/how-dangerous-are-white-tipped-spiders-really/amp/

Shoshin1
  • Yes @Bunks the poor wee things were made out to be the spiders from hell by the local media ...There was a big scare back in the early 90s , people were panicking thanks to the media's account of people losing their arms & legs due to white tailed spider bites, back then I was a member of the NZ entomological society and an arachnologist friend who had studied white tails told me the spiders were getting an undeserving bad rap, she went on to say it was the bacteria found in the soil in Oz which the spider gets on the fangs which cause the problems and that particular type of bacteria was not found here...The spider has been in NZ since the 1920s,( had made itself at home in most Kiwis homes...a naturalised Kiwi) but it was only after the media attention people starting to notice them and panic...

Bunks

We don’t have any white tailed spiders here... but we do have deer.

BunksWalkerShoshin1
    edited September 2020

A Doe a deer a female deer?...Oh dear I feel a song coming on....

BunksJeroen

@Kerome said:

Have you ever found one seeking refuge in a piece of your clothing? 😊

Shoshin1
  • Well this morning a weather bomb has hit Aotearoa (NZ) strong winds heavy rains ( some parts snow) , no doubt there will be some flooding and trees uprooted... Auckland harbour bridge was closed for a while last week due to strong winds blowing a truck over as it was crossing the bridge, causing structural damage, so with this weather bomb, they are not taking any chances, they have warned that they will close the bridge at short notice, if the winds get any stronger....

• Weather bomb this morning, sunshine and surf's up this afternoon...

Bunks

@Bunks said:

@Kerome said:

Never. They just wander through the streets and visit people’s gardens, eating all the succulent greens.

BunkslobsterShoshin1

Watched the recent version of Mary Poppins (Emily Blunt).
    Watched the original version of Mary poppins (Julie Andrews).

Notwithstanding Bert's atrocious 'cockney' accent (for which Dick Van Dyke has profusely apologised, bless him!) I know which version I prefer.
    New Mary Poppins will NEVER be the Classic, the older film is.

lobsterJeroen

@Kerome said:

@Bunks said:

@Kerome said:

Never. They just wander through the streets and visit people’s gardens, eating all the succulent greens.

They are however white-tailed, so there is some similarity.

Bunks
    edited September 2020

Just watched the debate between butt in bully boy Trump & Joe Biden, , Trump as usual wouldn't stop talking, butting in every time it was Biden's turn to answer a question, even the moderator Chris Wallace of Fox News was becoming frustrated with Trump's continued interruptions ....

And to top it off here's Trump's nominee for the supreme court...

Yes Margret Atwood's Handmaid's tale does come to mind...

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2020

When I listen to Trump supporters....or even undecided voters.....it sounds like I'm hearing someone saying they believe the earth is flat.
    This is also what an empire in freefall sounds like when it's leader, the system that allowed that allowed that presidency to happen and an ever more poorly educated voting public all lack the discernment skills to see much further than the average lemming in flight in front of them.

lobsterShoshin1FosdickKotishka

I am still amazed that there are so many Trump supporters, but I feel it is not healthy to hold such strong opinions against a person, it endangers ones equanimity. So I try not to get involved.

Shoshin1

@Kerome said:
    I am still amazed that there are so many Trump supporters, but I feel it is not healthy to hold such strong opinions against a person, it endangers ones equanimity. So I try not to get involved.

Yeah I agree. I think it’s dangerous to form strong opinions about leaders (or anyone really) based on media reports. Too many people have an agenda and will say and do whatever is requested to push it

Shoshin1

@Bunks said:

@Kerome said:

Yeah I agree. I think it’s dangerous to form strong opinions about leaders (or anyone really) based on media reports. Too many people have an agenda and will say and do whatever is requested to push it

I don't think we need Media Reports when far too often we get it straight from the Ass's mouth...

"Raglio d'asino non sale al cielo."

Shoshin1howFosdick
  • Thus have I found, just because one does not express one's opinions verbally does not mean that one does not hold strong opinions which can often be expressed in one's unconscious behavioral biases (subtlety or grossly) towards certain people or situations...

howlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

An opinion is just an idea which one holds in any moment. An opinion is unwholesome when one's hold of it depends on a biased consideration of it's values. An opinion is wholesome when it is only held only as long as one is willing to be unbiased in the continuing assessment of its value to everyone.

BunksShoshin1

A Man convinced against his Will
    Is of the same opinion, still...

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited October 2020

and

A fool returns to his folly as a dog returns to its vomit

federicaKotishka