Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The healing power in your heart

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I liked this article in Lions Roar, it’s Pema Chodron talking on heart qualities.

The natural warmth that emerges when we experience our pain includes all the heart qualities: love, compassion, gratitude, tenderness in any form. It also includes loneliness, sorrow, and the shakiness of fear. Before these vulnerable feelings harden, before the storylines kick in, these generally unwanted feelings are pregnant with kindness, with openness and caring. These feelings that we’ve become so accomplished at avoiding can soften and transform us. The practice is to train in not automatically fleeing from uncomfortable tenderness when it arises, and with time we can embrace it.

JeffreypersonDimmesdaleNirvana

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2020

I luvs my Mind but never think too much with it.

Rather I like the Piece and Quit ... eh PeaceHeart and Quiet Mine ...
    Balanced Body Bodhi Just Balance

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It is interesting how one can experience the power of the heart to reconcile aspects of one’s inner life that are at war.

lobster
  • DimmesdaleDimmesdale Illinois Explorer

From my subjective experience, I think this is connected with the idea of "space." That is, within the heart there is a still presence that enlarges itself and at times explodes in the form of love.... This feeling of space is so important and inviolable to me, that you can retire into this 'heart space' as it were. The more one experiences intimacy with oneself, the more one uncovers this inner sanctum, and hence one experiences freedom... That also gives one the freedom to love. And it is a virtuous circle that way. intimacy-freedom-intimacy-freedom.... touching the face of infinity..

lobster
  • Heart Space is a useful term <3
    With stillness comes space to fill. With what?
    In Zen what arises?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@コチシカ said:
    I would like to give my heart the best birthday present possible: to quit smoking.

With you all the way. Would you like us to support you? Encourage you? I do a nice line in nagging...!

• KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited October 2020

All support is welcome. Including nagging @federica :chuffed:

My partner is also happy that I'm finally acknowledging this, but it has taken many months of "slowing down" and meditation to realise -what @how defined as having the mind as the jailer-.

The plan @lobster has been going on for almost one year. But right now what I need is to drop something which brings something which is generating immense suffering.

Unfortunately, I've realised a lot of my friendships have moved around this figure -the man that smoked, rolled big joints of grass, and would stay up all night- but Buddhism has made me realise that a well-cooked red curry at noon tastes better. In a way... it is not ignoring, but more like having to let go.

Anyways.... IT BEGINS!

Today is my birthday! 28 turned 29!

Shoshin1lobsterhow
  • Anyways.... IT BEGINS!

Here is a virtual present. Happy Cake Birthday

Kotishka
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@コチシカ said:
    Unfortunately, I've realised a lot of my friendships have moved around this figure -the man that smoked, rolled big joints of grass, and would stay up all night- but Buddhism has made me realise that a well-cooked red curry at noon tastes better. In a way... it is not ignoring, but more like having to let go.

Anyways.... IT BEGINS!

Congratulations @コチシカ, I hope your resolve stays strong.

Kotishka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@コチシカ said:
    All support is welcome. Including nagging @federica :chuffed:

Glad to hear it. Brushing teeth is a psychological trigger to not eat, and keep your mouth clean. As I am following a Fasting lifestyle, I have cut down brushing my teeth from 130 to 63 times a day. Getting there!

🤐 😆

Actually, you are now in your 30th year....!

Kotishka