Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thay (Thich Nhat Hanh) has stopped eating

DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Hello all;
Apparently Thay has stopped eating and is in decline. His 94th birthday is on October 11.
Plum Village has asked those who benefit from his teachings to sit or walk for Thay and to offer our forgiveness to others as a way to continue his energy of peace.

He imagines the next Buddha will be the Sangha and I don't doubt that.

Shoshin1BunksWalkerKotishkaJeffreypegembaraNeridarocalaLina_SanDobsJohnCobb

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2020

He's one of the good ones. The world will be a little less bright when he's gone.

BunksVastmindNeridaJohnCobb
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

He was a great teacher, I think the mindfulness movement would not have been the same without him.

BunksrocalaJohnCobb
  • Thich Nhat Hanh taught me how little I listen and care about my body and mind. His calm, peaceful, yet powerful presence has left us a great baggage of teachings.

Let's try and practice those teachings more.

Lots of Metta!

David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

An update;
    This is not the first time in the last while he stopped eating and then started up again. So, it appears some of us jumped the gun out of concern and I was one of them. Sorry, everybody.

He turns 94 on the 11th though so that's nice. There are online celebrations through Plum Village and Blue Cliff Monestary if anyone is interested.

JohnCobb
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2020

When the elderly stop eating, it's usually a sign that their system is closing down.
    My Father followed that route.
    I'm glad it seems to have been a false alarm, but we should prepare.
    I think it's safe to say he has less time ahead of him, than behind him.

ETA: THIS may be of interest to some; even pertinent.

With Metta and tranquil thoughts to all.

DavidVastmindAlex
  • Peace is every step <3

DavidJohnCobb
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I tried to find an official message about this, and just found...

Thầy’s health is still very variable, with times when he is weak, and other times when he is stronger. Although his spirit remains bright and strong, in the last month or so, Thầy’s body has been notably weaker, and he has lost his appetite.

And this photo...

https://plumvillage.org/about/thich-nhat-hanh/thich-nhat-hanhs-health/autumn-news-of-thay-in-hue/

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2020

@Kerome said:
    I tried to find an official message about this, and just found...

Thầy’s health is still very variable, with times when he is weak, and other times when he is stronger. Although his spirit remains bright and strong, in the last month or so, Thầy’s body has been notably weaker, and he has lost his appetite.

And this photo...

https://plumvillage.org/about/thich-nhat-hanh/thich-nhat-hanhs-health/autumn-news-of-thay-in-hue/

I don't know how to do those links but they updated the story just today and thankfully, he is currently stable with no immediate cause for concern.

• He does look younger than a lot of biologically young people. Also, those happy monks! :)

Only if you don’t look at the wrinkles, or at the way his hands lie in his lap. I think he looks quite fragile.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:
    Only if you don’t look at the wrinkles, or at the way his hands lie in his lap. I think he looks quite fragile.

He reminds me of my dad in his last days... that kind of 'faraway' look... I expect he's quite slow and hesitant... not to say he's not 'all there'... but everything is gradually slowly, inexorably winding down, and switching to auxiliary power...

JeroenKotishkaDavid
  • Thay (Thich Nhat Hanh) has stopped eating

Maybe he is not hungry? o:)
    https://vietnamdiscovery.com/top-vietnam/best-vietnamese-foods/

how
  • Here is something I saw on Facebook of Thich Nhat Hanh talking about birthdays from 2014. I thought it quite good and I just like his presentation and mannerisms also. Humor and calmness.

DavidVastmind