Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What movies are you watching?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I saw this film Youth with Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel and Rachel Weisz. Directed by Paul Sorrentino, it was a pretty good comedy-drama.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited September 2020

@lobster said:
    Thanks again @Kerome <3

Followed the dutch link, used the CWDUTCH password. CrazyWise is a great find for those of us who are on the crazy <> sane spectrum or are trying to support ourselves, family or friends ... in other words everyone ...

gonna look at:

• recovery movement
    • families healing together
    • peer counselling

and some of the other great leads <3

I’m glad you enjoyed it @lobster, it is a very informative film with a lot of great tips for those trying to cope and their family members. The Mad in America website is a great place to keep up to date about these things, you saw it’s founder Robert Whitaker in the film although I’m not sure if they mentioned the website.

If you are interested in families healing together, then perhaps family constellations is also something you would want to take a look at. Some members of my family have had good results with it.

• I found it very helpful @Kerome
    A friends daughter who is a nurse is having a hard time. I am shielding someone who needs to use this inspiring potential.

An early advocate for the post psychiatric big pharmacy is featured in Mad to be Normal
    RD Laing
    ... might be time to watch that ...

JeroenStu_the_Blessed
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

John Wick. I watch very few, if any, violent films, but I have a deep and abiding admiration for Keanu Reeves as a decent and unique big star..

The first of the trilogy was by far the best.... But I believe there is more to come, even now...

• @federica I like violence in films. It is the one time I listen to some of the terrifying styles of music some of us listen to. I am not recommending this for everyone, I find it has a cathartic calming effect on me.

Enjoyed Enola Holmes. Rather a romanticised view but uplifting for all styles of feminists ...

JeroenStu_the_Blessed
  • Just watched CrazyWise ...interesting....Thanks for the link @Kerome and thanks for the password @lobster....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said: ... Enjoyed Enola Holmes. Rather a romanticised view but uplifting for all styles of feminists ...

I wasn't that impressed with it, I must say. I rather hoped it would be a bit more gritty, with greater action substance. Massive potential frankly, watered down and wasted...
    Mycroft was made out to be a person very different from the original Novels, and Sherlock was frankly, a waste of time...

edited September 2020

@Shoshin1 said:
    Just watched CrazyWise ...interesting....Thanks for the link @Kerome and thanks for the password @lobster....

You’re welcome. Given the number of people who have some contact with mental health in their lifetimes (some 40% I vaguely remember) it’s a good film to watch for everybody, those who have had the experience, and those who have family members or friends or may still have an experience.

What I find especially shocking is the treatment around medication. Adams experience in the film is not that unusual from what I’ve seen and read, the psychiatrists just seem to treat it as a “try them out, something will fit” grab-bag of stuff. To be on 12-15 different kinds of pills is stunning and can be dangerous due to toxicity.

There were more things in the film which shock and surprise, but contact with the world of the spirits doesn’t seem to be valued anymore by modern society. The reason that people with special experiences got chosen as shamans was because normal people thought, maybe you know something I don’t. In this time of the internet everybody seems to have gotten used to knowing everything.

edited September 2020

I was watching The Fisher King, a fine tale of madness, romance and the Holy Grail, set in New York. With Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams, directed by Terry Gilliam.

lobster
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Just watched The Last of the Mohicans for the first time in many years. Beautiful cinematography, which, for me, nearly always heavily outweighs story line in importance.

lobster

Last night i watched Loving Vincent, a movie made entirely of paintings in the style of Vincent Van Gogh, about a letter to be delivered after his death.

Vastmind

I was wanting to rewatch The Big Lebowski, but just viewing the trailer has brought a lot of it back to me. It’s probably my favorite comedy. Great acting by Jeff Bridges and John Goodman, directed by the Coen Brothers.

• I'm watching The Revenant, I started to watch it last night, but didn't realise how long it was....so I've just finished watching the end now...The bear attack scene was interesting...

• The Revenant is an emotional roller coaster. Very intense.

I am watching Star Wars, The Rise of Skywalker. Also too long for a single sit ... unless a jedi zennith ...

Jeroen

I was rewatching Kung Fu Panda, one of my favorite animated films. It has a surprising amount of mysticism in it. Jack Black, Ian McShane, Dustin Hoffman, Angelina Jolie... all star cast... Directed by Mark Osborne.

I saw The Rise of Skywalker recently, I thought it was a so-so final feature of the series of nine. It was not bad, had a few good moments. But I still think the original trilogy of Star Wars films were the best.

I have been watching this in little pieces, it is the Apple keynote presentation which introduced the iPhone to the world. It was an amazing product and to think this was only 2007, just 13 years ago and now everyone has one in their pocket. Also fun to see Steve Jobs on stage.

My Octopus Teacher.

If you've not seen it, you really, really should. It's breathtakingly extraordinary.

VastmindlobsterJeroen
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2020

^^^ Yes!!

Has anyone watched Hope Frozen? It's on Netflix right now.
    A Buddhist scientist in Bangkok freezes his daughter's brain.
    It's fascinating from a science POV...but so sad from a human POV, I think. You can see and feel the pain the rest of the family has been put through by this in what seems to be a severe issue with letting go.

Another one is Dick Johnson is Dead. Also on Netflix right now.
    A documentary about a woman who is taking care of her Father with Dementia and "re-creates" ways in which he could die in order to prepare herself for his death. Comical at times, and very touching.

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2020

The Revenant is an emotional roller coaster. Very intense.

I still can't get my head around how a person can be mauled to near death by a Grizzly bear , fall off a cliff on horseback, sleep naked inside a dead horse's stomach in mid winter, and being stabbed mutable times...
    Oh and be submerged in icy cold water...They must have made um tough back then... ;)

lobsterJeroen
  • eh ...
    Telling us the story is a spoiler for most people
    Are you implementing the first Nobel Truth as a service @Shoshin1? >:)

VastmindShoshin1Jeroen
  • @Shoshin1 said:

The Revenant is an emotional roller coaster. Very intense.

I still can't get my head around how a person can be mauled to near death by a Grizzly bear , fall off a cliff on horseback, sleep naked inside a dead horse's stomach in mid winter, and being stabbed mutable times...
    Oh and be submerged in icy cold water...They must have made um tough back then... ;)

There was a lot of suffering going on....

lobsterJeroen
  • @federica said:
    My Octopus Teacher.

If you've not seen it, you really, really should. It's breathtakingly extraordinary.

Thanks @federica
    Will look out for it as one of my gurus was an octopus ... :3

http://web.archive.org/web/20070206172234/http://pages.britishlibrary.net/edjason/alchemy/ollioctopus.html

Looking forward to other films that people have tried ...

@lobster said:

@federica said:
    My Octopus Teacher.

Thanks @federica
    Will look out for it as one of my gurus was an octopus ... :3

snip

Looking forward to other films that people have tried ...

Well this octopus will be another.

edited October 2020

I was watching this film, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, it was pretty good. About a boy trying to find the lock which fits a mysterious key. Drama. With Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock, Max von Sydow and John Goodman. Directed by Stephen Daldry, the director of Billy Elliott.

Last night I watched the first half of this movie Erin Brockovich with Julia Roberts and Albert Finney. It was not bad, in a big corporation gets sued by pretty woman kind of way.

It's a true story; Erin Brokovich appears in the film itself, as a waitress - named Julia.

She was a constant source of information to the film makers and was very insistent that they told it exactly as it happened, I believe. Erin stated afterwards that the film was 98 - 99% accurate. A morsel of artistic licence was required, over legal issues. She wanted Julia Roberts, which is just as well, because Julia Roberts jumped at the chance. She earnt over $20m for the film, making her the highest-paid actress, to date.

She is a now fully, self-taught lawyer. As of 2003, Erin Brockovich-Ellis was still with Ed Masry's law firm and had been given the title Director of Research.

In reality, Erin Brockovich-Ellis is dyslexic.

Hinkley's toxins made the real Brockovich sick from the chromium poisoning she was investigating. Steven Soderbergh decided to leave that aspect out of the film as it would make Erin out to be too much of a martyr. "It was a tough call, because Erin really did get sick and was hospitalized for a while."

lobsterJeroen
  • Wot? An avant garde koan/SF film/documentary ...

Ah ha!

• Nichiren and the Great Mongol Invasion. It is a good movie about Buddhism. It is set in Japan, and it can be found on YouTube. You'll have to read the English subtitles because it does not have English voice acting.

edited October 2020

Something a bit more mainstream, this was a thriller I watched last night. Called Proof of Life, about a kidnapping. It was ok, with a young Russel Crowe and Meg Ryan. Quite realistic.

@Omar067 said:
    Nichiren and the Great Mongol Invasion. It is a good movie about Buddhism. It is set in Japan, and it can be found on YouTube. You'll have to read the English subtitles because it does not have English voice acting.

I watched some of this movie, it was a change to see priests as the main characters. You could immediately see that a lot of priestly thinking is about holding onto the expectations of their community. As a commentary on an older style of spiritual life it is kind of eye-opening.

• We have watched Hocus Pocus and the Outsiders. Both were good I thought.

Well i quite enjoyed this, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I’ve long known of the books, but the films are kind of fun as well. So since it was on tv, I watched a chunk of it.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2020

Since getting a 4K TV and being able to stream directly with fibre optic internet, we have been watching films made with HD cameras and just visiting nature, hiking, documentaries, relaxing scenes etc

For eg. just put something like:
    best 4k nature hikes
    into startpage, ecosia or duckduckgo search engine ...
    and click on videos ...

Yes it is amazing how far tv’s have come the last five years. I remember when I was buying a tv in 2013 it was all about full HD, so 1920x1080p, and now you get 4K and HDR on starting TVs for 450 euros. Still I would want to see a new tv to see how it looked to my eye before buying.

• Film about bringing Buddhism to China ...

Kotishka

Watched Lemony Snickets A Series of Unfortunate Events last night, it wasn’t at all bad.

For tonight I have this, Blade Runner 2049. The original is one of my favorite films, and there are some very positive reviews of this sequel.

Netflix. "Queen's Gambit" highly recommended.

howBunks
  • I liked The Queens's Gambit too. It is all about chess superficially but really it is about people ...

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I watched Horrible Bosses 2 last night - childish but pretty funny :)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    Netflix. "Queen's Gambit" highly recommended.

I'll have to check it out...

• Well this octopus will be another.

Yes a gentle and incredible story of interspecies communication. We are not alone.

I was rewatching Kung Fu Panda, one of my favorite animated films.

Animation is so good now:

• Despicable Me
    • The Incredibles
    • Paddington
    • Monsters Inc.
    • Shrek
    • Toy Story

Many have sequels, tri-sequels and beyond ...

Bunks
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited November 2020

In the animation vein. Inside Out is one of the stand outs of the past decade. It's about the inner emotional life of a young girl who's family moves to a new city.

Also, just watched Enola Holmes on Netflix and would recommend that. And if you're into scary films, the Social Dilemma scared the heck out of me. 😟

• I completely forgot everything in this film ... except that I had seen it.

The Last Mimzy

• I completely forgot everything in this film ... except that I had seen it.

I've experienced this on more than one occasion...You get a sense of déjà vu,

@person, I must confess, Enola Holmes left me very disappointed.
    Millie Bobby Brown did her best with a plot that was shallow and a supporting cast that simply didn't fit. Sherlock was insufficiently aloof and haughty, and Mycroft excessively boorish and authoritarian. And they contributed absolutely nothing to the plot. Had they been omitted and merely mentioned as third interested parties by association, that would have been quite enough. As it was, their actual presence was utterly superfluous...
    And the great mystery surrounding her mother was actually... deflating.

No. Sorry. Disappointing.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@federica said:
    Millie Bobby Brown did her best with a plot that was shallow and a supporting cast that simply didn't fit. Sherlock was insufficiently aloof and haughty, and Mycroft excessively boorish and authoritarian. And they contributed absolutely nothing to the plot. Had they been omitted and merely mentioned as third interested parties by association, that would have been quite enough. As it was, their actual presence was utterly superfluous...

Now that you say all that I can see all that. I think I was influenced by Millie Bobbie Brown, I'm a big fan of Stranger Things.

I was watching His Dark Materials season 2 on BBC One tonight, and though it was quite good, I would urge the writers to not resort to using torture as a device to point out how wicked certain people are. It’s quite disgusting.

@person said:

@federica said:

Now that you say all that I can see all that. I think I was influenced by Millie Bobbie Brown, I'm a big fan of Stranger Things.

Me too, that was a really well-made series... that held me riveted... It was not my intention to persuade or dissuade you in your opinion of the Holmes film... Just my opinion... but rivet me, it did not!

person