Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

BodhI IPhone

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited October 2020 in Buddhism Today

Due to social pressure, covid needs and zombiefication I am now the owner of a just about working Iphone Se 2020.

Need some advice please. B)

• What sort of cage is best for it? Seems to exist on a diet of sims or is it sins and can not be used in the UK for wifi calling without the right carrier. In other words it barely functions as a phone.
  • I am loath to take it for walks in case it starts barking, ringing or shrieking [other useless vibrations available]
  • Seems to work better as a camera than a communication tool.
  • I am an experienced Ipad user and have placed whatsapp monitoring on it, enabling some voice and phone features at great privacy costs ...

Any advice welcome <3

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited October 2020

Spend some time getting to know it, when my father got the same iPhone it took him a week to install things and configure stuff to his liking after years of android phones. It’s a good device though, nice and fast and good for web browsing.

I could say loads more after years of using iPhones... always available for questions...

• Hmm ....an "I" phone...is it a must have ego thing ??? ;);)

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

You can install Apple’s Pages, Numbers and Keynote apps which work surprisingly well on touch devices. They interact with your iCloud account, so that your word processing documents, spreadsheets and presentations are saved on a cloud drive and can be accessed on iPad if you are using the same Apple ID.

You might want to disable saving photos up to iCloud, it can use up a lot of space on your cloud drive. You get 5 gb for free, but videos and Live Photos can eat that up.

Google Maps still has better coverage than Apple Maps. I use it for bicycling routefinding and for finding shops and things. There are a lot of things marked on there which are not on Apple maps.

I find the IMDB app very handy for accessing the Internet Movie Database. It’s great for when you want to find what an actor or director has been doing recently. It also has some nice widgets.

I use Apple’s Books app a lot because you can save pdfs from the internet to its library, so I have all kinds of books stored on there.

• Thanks @Kerome
    Have disabled Icloud. Anything on the cloud is not secure.
    Not really interested in route finding, presentations etc. The phone can be turned on and dial ambulance or police. So I took it on a walk but turned off practically everything apart from camera ...

My previous emergency phone (Landline is gone) was Android. It was an old one, which I had been given and optimised. Sadly only lasted a couple of months. I much prefer IOS to Android as I am used to IOS. Even though Android is Linux based I had to learn the Google illegal (proprietary) version. Securing it to the degree I expect was not possible.

'Do no evil'.
    Google meaningless motto ...

Anyway appreciate the suggestions. Many thanks <3

edited October 2020

My pleasure @lobster ... the SE is a nice phone, my dad has one. A few more things.

There are a variety of meditation apps. Things like mindfulness bells, guided meditations, lists of affirmations, sleep aids... it might be useful, I never really looked into it. Headspace seems to be popular.

The phone can also be used to do some health monitoring. You can input your weight and height and medical data into the Health app, so that first responders can see your ‘medical passport’ and emergency contacts in case of an accident. It also measures steps, so you can see if you do your 10,000 steps a day.

Its worth keeping the phone up to date and installing the updates, sometimes you get nice goodies with a new os version, such as the Translate app which allows you to chat in a limited way with a person speaking another language. Updates are also important for security.

Have you discovered Sign in With Apple? It seems pretty good, even to the extent of anonimyzing your email address.

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited October 2020

@lobster said:

• What sort of cage is best for it? Seems to exist on a diet of sims or is it sins and can not be used in the UK for wifi calling without the right carrier. In other words it barely functions as a phone.

iPhones grow up best when abused. "No one will ever love you with a battery life like that." It will encourage them to have a longer-lasting battery. You can be friends with your iPhone when it's grown. For now, you are the boss.

• I hardly ever use the phone @Kerome
    Just need it in case of emergencies.
    Did not really want to tweak another Android device, hence the SE.

I do tend to abuse Siri @Vimalajāti
    She is not real on the whole just an algorithm ... B)