Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pure Land Buddhism

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Can easily be added to any practice you’re already undertaking.....

We need powerful blessings of Buddhas to be successful in our practise as we have little power from our own side. Amitabha will look after all those who engage in this practise, but practitoners must make strong effort to keep moral discipline create merit and purify non virtue this is a fundmental requirement.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@caz said:

@Bunks said:

We need powerful blessings of Buddhas to be successful in our practise as we have little power from our own side. Amitabha will look after all those who engage in this practise, but practitoners must make strong effort to keep moral discipline create merit and purify non virtue this is a fundmental requirement.

Like most things in Buddhist practice, this will depend on what tradition you follow.
    For example, the Pristine Pure Land school follows strictly the teachings of Master Shandao and believe that the idea that we need to follow precepts etc is pure land teachings mixed with other traditions eg chan or Tibetan .
    The mere invocation of Amitabha Buddha’s name (even ten times) with faith is enough for us to be born in the pure land. Regardless of our deeds.
    I am not trying to say this right (I am not enlightened so what would I know!) but I think it’s important for people to know that there are different takes on this.

Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Do you think @bunks that people in the Theravadan tradition eventually get tired of searching and practicing, and then turn to something like Pure Land?

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

@Bunks said:

@caz said:

@Bunks said:

Like most things in Buddhist practice, this will depend on what tradition you follow.
    For example, the Pristine Pure Land school follows strictly the teachings of Master Shandao and believe that the idea that we need to follow precepts etc is pure land teachings mixed with other traditions eg chan or Tibetan .
    The mere invocation of Amitabha Buddha’s name (even ten times) with faith is enough for us to be born in the pure land. Regardless of our deeds.
    I am not trying to say this right (I am not enlightened so what would I know!) but I think it’s important for people to know that there are different takes on this.

Id be highly concerned if any Buddhist tradition didn't think that keeping moral discipline wasnt essential, good karmic virtue is required for higher Samsaric rebirth let alone rebirth in the pureland. The merit you have the more that Amitabha has to work with.

KotishkaDavid

@Kerome said:
    Do you think @bunks that people in the Theravadan tradition eventually get tired of searching and practicing, and then turn to something like Pure Land?

Probably not. Most Buddhists are tied to whatever tradition is passed on by their culture or family.
    Which is why coming at it from a non cultural perspective is both a blessing and a curse.

Jeroenlobster

@caz said:

@Bunks said:

@caz said:

@Bunks said:

Fair enough, but what would we know 😉

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

There's actually a group in my city of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada that practices Jodo Shinshu or Shin Buddhism or True Pure Land Buddhism.

They practice at the same church my local Zen group practice at (when pandemic free).

I'm not sure what the difference would be between it and the other Pure Land schools but it always surprises me how many variations of Buddhism there are.

Bunks

If anyone is interested, feel free to join the twice daily nianfo chanting sessions via Zoom with my dharma friend Jiawen. It is 8am Beijing time and 3pm Beijing time every day.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89505814648?pwd=RDh1MkRXUUIzckQ4MEx0MkxJZmkwdz09

Namo Amitabha Buddha 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️❤️❤️☀️☀️☀️

AlexNirvanalobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Probably not. Most Buddhists are tied to whatever tradition is passed on by their culture or family.
    Which is why coming at it from a non cultural perspective is both a blessing and a curse.

But there still only seem to be about 500 million buddhists, which means that not all of the population of the Far East is Buddhist. After all there are something like 1 billion Chinese just by themselves. It makes you wonder how big a part of their lives the religion is.

I last read that Chinese funerals often include three different kinds of blessings for the dead, Buddhist and Taoist among them. There are some interesting customs at funerals there, like burning paper possessions to “give” them to a dead person in the afterlife.

Bunks
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

Hello ! I’ve been missing a while. Went somewhere else, but now am here. Typical, I start studying Theravada and you go to Pure Land ! PL not greatly represented in UK. I tried one of the 2 vessels I’m aware of in UK and found it bit too odd for me - lay people all wear red to emulate the Monks, who themselves have basically just moved into a big house, but the practice has no apparent real bloodline other than some British bloke thought it a good idea before disappearing to France. I do like the concept though, needs better delivery here. I wish you the best with it, I’m highly cogniscent that it’s the Worlds largest and simplest Buddhist practice and simplicity is surely what the Buddha intended. Metta 🙏

Bunks
  • @Bunks :)

Do you think reciting Amitabha's mantra while playing the harmonium can be / is a respected practice?

I'm searching for a tutorial. I learnt the basics back when I attended ISKCON and I would like to re-incorporate it into my practice. It is also a great way to make other people join / become aware of Buddhist teachings.

Healing waves.

edited November 2020

@コチシカ said:
    @Bunks :)

Do you think reciting Amitabha's mantra while playing the harmonium can be / is a respected practice?

I'm searching for a tutorial. I learnt the basics back when I attended ISKCON and I would like to re-incorporate it into my practice. It is also a great way to make other people join / become aware of Buddhist teachings.

Healing waves.

Yes! For sure. Most nianfo chants on line are accompanied by music so I say go for it!
    It’s a beautiful practice.
    About 5 of us have started a twice daily chanting zoom group for thirty minutes chanting. With and without music. It’s great!

lobsterAlex
  • @Bunks

Thank you! I will look for this and as soon as I feel confident enough...share it here :)

• About 5 of us have started a twice daily chanting zoom group for thirty minutes chanting.

Wot? :o
    Where is our invite?

NAMO AMITABHA o:)

edited November 2020

Come on @lobster - I invited you on Oct 25th. See above.

I have been leading the morning chanting if you want to hear my dulcet tones :)

I can send the link for both via PM to anyone interested.

Alexlobster
  • @Bunks If you know any harmonium players in your circle that wish to teach me the chords they use... most than welcome. I will if not adapt some Hindu songs into this ^.^

A nice little tune to play just while you’re kicking around the house...

Shoshin1

@caz said:

@Bunks said:

@caz said:

@Bunks said:

Id be highly concerned if any Buddhist tradition didn't think that keeping moral discipline wasnt essential, good karmic virtue is required for higher Samsaric rebirth let alone rebirth in the pureland. The merit you have the more that Amitabha has to work with.

Upon reflection and further study I have realised that you’re absolutely correct @caz - thanks for steering me in the right direction 🙏😁

lobster

Twice daily nianfo chanting. Please feel free to join us. Taking quite a few of the sessions myself 🙏🙏🙏

What is Pure Land Buddhism?

edited November 2020

We will now be having four daily chanting sessions via Zoom.

Starts Monday Nov 16.

4.30am China time
    8am China time
    3pm China time
    9pm China time

All links in the description of the video below.

Alex

Below is a common merit dedication we perform after a nianfo chanting meditation session:

May the resulting merit & virtue
    be distributed everywhere without discrimination
    May we all aspire to perfect Enlightenment
    For the sake of all sentient beings
    May we all obtain rebirth to the Land of Ultimate Bliss

Master Shandao

• I'm reading a Buddhist dictionary and have found there has been a controversy about the power of your wish to be reborn by the power of Amitabha Buddha regardless of what their acts are. It's something that reminds me of faith versus works in Christianity.

Anyhow self power is jiriki and other power is tariki. If Amitabha is the only factor then regardless of your actions you are reborn in pure land. That would be via tariki.

There was a controversy on that to the point that some monks were committing immoral acts insisting that it does not matter because they will be reborn anyways. Some even were caught having sex with the courtesans or what have you and their order was kicked out of the imperial complex after that.

@Jeffrey said:
    I'm reading a Buddhist dictionary and have found there has been a controversy about the power of your wish to be reborn by the power of Amitabha Buddha regardless of what their acts are. It's something that reminds me of faith versus works in Christianity.

Anyhow self power is jiriki and other power is tariki. If Amitabha is the only factor then regardless of your actions you are reborn in pure land. That would be via tariki.

There was a controversy on that to the point that some monks were committing immoral acts insisting that it does not matter because they will be reborn anyways. Some even were caught having sex with the courtesans or what have you and their order was kicked out of the imperial complex after that.

Yes, not hard to imagine that can happen.

There appears to be a spectrum of schools in pure land, ranging from those that believe you can chant just ten times in life with a heart of faith and you will automatically be reborn, right through to those who believe you still need to be a moral person and chant habitually (particularly at death) to be assured of rebirth in the pure land.

• We are going to be rebored?

No!

Jesus, Santa, Fantastical Super Buddhas are not going to save us.

However if we believe in Santa, we can enjoy Christmas ... in this very lifetime ...

@lobster said:
    We are going to be rebored?

No!

Jesus, Santa, Fantastical Super Buddhas are not going to save us.

However if we believe in Santa, we can enjoy Christmas ... in this very lifetime ...

:)

You're preaching from the Ajahn Brahm hymn book.......

lobster

Why doesn’t Amitoufo come?

80 year old Grandma sought rebirth by standing

Shoshin1

Please join us!
    3pm Sunday China Time.
    Zoom link below.
    https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88087624858?pwd=cW5oeUl1Z2V3cXFJVnVSUEp3a2RNZz09#success

• Tara1978Tara1978 UK Veteran

Thank you so much @Bunks . After many years not practicing any form of buddhism i have recently started to dip a toe back in the water. I was reading about Pure Land on another forum today and here it is again, lots of reading to do. Wondering also about UK based groups, if anyone has links?

AlexBunks
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

@Tara1978 Hi Tara, there is a UK temple in Malvern, they do online zoom sangha meetings :-

http://www.amidashu.org/

I’m just exploring it myself too, I’ve been to a few zoom meetings. Lovely people. Simple practice.

Tara1978Bunkslobster

@Alex / @Tara1978 - I meet with a group four times a day to chant for 30 minutes in English.

Feel free to drop in anytime. I facilitate once or twice a day too. :)

China Time
    4.30am
    8am
    3pm
    9pm

Link below:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88087624858?pwd=cW5oeUl1Z2V3cXFJVnVSUEp3a2RNZz09#success

AlexTara1978lobster

P.S. I think the group you're referring to is Japanese whereas our group focuses on Chinese Pure Land Buddhism (Master Chin Kung).

AlexTara1978

Good morning everyone. Our group will be hosting a 7 day nianfo (Buddha chanting) retreat starting 4.30am (China time) on 20 January 2021.

This coincides with the Enlightenment Day of Buddha Shakyamuni on the Mahayana calendar.

More details in the video below. Feel free to join us 🙏🏻☀️❤️

Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88087624858?pwd=cW5oeUl1Z2V3cXFJVnVSUEp3a2RNZz09#success
    Password: amituofo

Vastmind

Have you had a look at Shin Buddhism @Bunks? It seems an interesting path.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jōdo_Shinshū

Alex
  • Am planting seeds everywhere. Preparing for a garden Pureland this summer ...

Spider plants (for outdoors) Chilli peppers for hanging baskets etc ...

Bunks

Is that your hallway @lobster? An unusual spot for sprouting plants... but not a bad idea for the covid-enhanced summer.

• @Kerome ... Nearest thing to a sunny windowsill available

The nasturtium near the door at the top are now outside, under glass but it may be a bit cold for them ... They are about six inches tall ...

Just put them out ...

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2021

Just discovered the temp above what my thermometer can actually register in my new cold frame and 52 of my new transplants fully cooked. I guess a soil warmer should be off during the day in a small cold frame when it's sunny outside.
    Back to square one again.

Kotishkalobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2021

I should not laugh @how. My nasturtium may have to come in for the night. Coaxing nature is great when it works but I feel for your cooked babies ...

The Buddha speaks of Amitabha Sutra

Kotishka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Whistle or en-chant?

Bodhi Snow, she's the Gal …

I have to say my Pure Land practice has waned over the last few months.

Have left the group I was involved with (let's call it creative differences).

JeroenKotishka

Can’t say that I’m surprised… once you’re used to the deeper forms of Buddhism, something which is at the core so simple is unlikely to satisfy.

Bunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I seem to recall that TNH had a Pureland background?

David

@DairyLama said:
    I seem to recall that TNH had a Pureland background?

From his Wikipedia page…

“Nhất Hạnh was born as Nguyễn Xuân Bảo on October 11, 1926, into a large family in the ancient imperial capital of Huế in Central Vietnam. At the age of 16 he entered the monastery at nearby Từ Hiếu Temple, where his primary teacher was Zen Master Thanh Quý Chân Thật. A graduate of Báo Quốc Buddhist Academy in Central Vietnam, Thích Nhất Hạnh received training in Vietnamese traditions of Mahayana Buddhism, as well as Vietnamese Thiền, and received full ordination as a Bhikkhu in 1951.”

Vietnamese Thien is the Vietnamese version of Zen Buddhism.

David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2021

Plum Village was founded in 1982 but the Order of Interbeing was founded in 1966 . Thay is considered the 8th generation of the Lieu Quan school and 42nd generation of the Linzi branch of Zen.

He does teach of the Buddha Amitabha and the Pure Land however.

https://plumvillage.org/sutra/discourse-on-the-land-of-great-happiness/

Bunks
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran

@Bunks said:

Are you returning to Theravada?

Interestlingly, as you've dropped Pure Land I've picked it up. At the moment nianfo is my single practice.

Bunkslobster

@TheEccentric said:

@Bunks said:

Are you returning to Theravada?

Interestlingly, as you've dropped Pure Land I've picked it up. At the moment nianfo is my single practice.

I never left =)

Enjoy! It’s a lovely practice