Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Secret Symbols of Dharma

Oops there are none :3

As we know Gautama revealed all her secrets but some sects do otherwise. So naughty!
Notably Tantra, Tendai, Shingon and Zen.
Wait ... Zen? Sure, no teacher, no flower raising symbolic moment ...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_Sermon

I think a holy lasso would be fitting for Wonder Women ...
http://viewonbuddhism.org/tantra_symbols.html

What symbols catch your focus?

Comments

• I'm not sure that I am following, but maybe a scythe? Like Shiva the Destroyer type thing? I think destruction is deeply underrated. I think there is a lot of hacking needed to be done to get to the truth of things. And I like to hack.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I don’t usually read much into the symbolic content of imagery, unless it’s very obvious like Christian or Judaic symbols. So I suppose you could say they catch my attention.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm probably in the majority in saying Yin/Yang. There is so much depth in such a simple image.

lobsterFosdick
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@person said:
    I'm probably in the majority in saying Yin/Yang. There is so much depth in such a simple image.

Maybe you’d like to talk a little more about what you see in the Yin-Yang image? I was considering it a while ago and came to the conclusion that it is a representation of duality and absolutes, which are shown fitting together to make up the whole. I’m not sure I can get behind that message.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2020

I was just reading up about Buddhas ringing staff. Nice timing that this thread came up right now. Different Buddhas have different sets of rings.

If I was a Buddha, I would incorporate healing drumming into the practice.

@person said:

I agree. To me it reinforces the interconnectedness I feel with everything. It reminds me that opposition is convention. Yin is not the opposite of yang, it is complimentary as they are a part of the same cycle. The only opposite of yin is no-yin and just so, even yang has yin.

Maybe you're a little zennier than you thought.

personlobster
  • @person said:

lobster
  • NeridaNerida Denmark Explorer

I have a pendant of the Eightfold Noble Path very similar to this one.

lobsterJeroen
  • Ok going to do a secret google search. Will report back!

DavidlobsterJeroen
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited December 2020

@Kerome said:

@person said:

Maybe you’d like to talk a little more about what you see in the Yin-Yang image? I was considering it a while ago and came to the conclusion that it is a representation of duality and absolutes, which are shown fitting together to make up the whole. I’m not sure I can get behind that message.

I think maybe your coming at this purely from an ultimate perspective, so yeah from that sense yin/yang I think is a symbol of the conventional world.

It exists in the cosmology of Taoism that sees the Tao as something undefinable, beyond this and that and all the 10,000 things.

It shows how things in the world are interdependent, how one changes into the other as it grows and how each contains the seed of the other within them. It also expresses a cyclical view of the world rather than a linear one.

JeffreyDavid
  • Ringing staff is new to me. In our poverty stricken Capitalist cities, this might be the ideal way to do food deliveries from food banks. Collecting food is a little passé.

Monkey drums are used in Tantric chod practice.

Welcome to NewBuddhist @Nerida, you are our latest cymbal wearer ... ;)

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@person said:
    I think maybe your coming at this purely from an ultimate perspective, so yeah from that sense yin/yang I think is a symbol of the conventional world.

It exists in the cosmology of Taoism that sees the Tao as something undefinable, beyond this and that and all the 10,000 things.

It shows how things in the world are interdependent, how one changes into the other as it grows and how each contains the seed of the other within them. It also expresses a cyclical view of the world rather than a linear one.

I see the yin yang from the Buddhist perspective which works well for my practice and is basically the same way Taoists look at it. When Taoism and Buddhism met, Zen happened and I can see why.

Speaking of symbolism and the yin yang, I am probably too attached to my shrine but have been working on it for years. The yin yang medicine balls were the first addition so I've had them for 29 years now. You can't really see him but on the lower level, behind Buddha is a tall statuette of Lao Tzu because he likes to lead from behind, unseen.

lobsterpersonJeffrey
  • Beautiful shrine @David <3
    I am too ashamed to show mine. :3

oh go on then ...

@lobster said:
    Beautiful shrine @David <3
    I am too ashamed to show mine. :3

oh go on then ...

It's just something I've loved doing for a few years, any shrine can be beautiful. It could be a leaf. I work on mine and watch it unfold like a painting I'm working on.

lobster
  • NeridaNerida Denmark Explorer

@lobster said:

Welcome to NewBuddhist @Nerida, you are our latest cymbal wearer ... ;)

Thanks but I've been here for a while now :awesome:

• Yes sorry @Nerida I sometimes forget that we have lurkers ... an unkind term ... howdy to our exponents of 'silent exploration' <3

Talking of the silent clash of virtual cymbals ...

In one sense we are an expression of our being. Wearing symbols such as the wheel, footsteps of the Buddha, holy umbrellas or shells to hear the sea is a reminder that the world of Tantra is constantly revealing ...

For example: chakra or wheels, circles divided, yin yanged or brush stroked are all around us. What is a straight line but an arc on an infinite circle ...
    https://www.breadloafmountainzen.org/infinite-circle/

To put it another way. Give us this day our daily dharma

Nerida
  • Rob_VRob_V North Carolina Explorer

I didn't think this'd be a particularly hard question to answer. I was wrong.

I have a shrine, such as it is. It's even housed in its own room. I light candles. I burn incense. I have a riser I sit on (I have a hard time getting off if the floor from a lotus position). I have a homemade set of mala beads I use at times. None of it means anything in particular to me. I meditate where I am, usually without all this stuff. Frequently without getting out of bed.

• ... any shrine can be beautiful. It could be a leaf.

Ah ha!
    ... it is autumn/fall here ... countless shrines descending from bodhi trees

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said: Maybe you’d like to talk a little more about what you see in the Yin-Yang image? I was considering it a while ago and came to the conclusion that it is a representation of duality and absolutes, which are shown fitting together to make up the whole. I’m not sure I can get behind that message.

Actually, that's not so. Yin and Yang are far from being so, because it depends on what you consider to be Yin, and what you consider to be Yang. By comparison.
    For example, Yin is inward, cool, dark, feminine, solitudinous, contracting, and Yang would seem to be the opposite of those qualities. Outward, warm, bright, masculine, gregarious, expansive....
    So gymnastics would be Yang in the description of its energetic qualities.. but only if you compare it to something like, say, Ballet... But Gymnastics is Yin when compared to Cage Fighting... Nothing is ever completely, absolutely Yin, or Yang. They are moveable feasts, and certainly not dual, neither absolute. And you cannot label something as being either Yin or Yang, unless there is a converse comparison... but even then, neither is static or fixed.

how

Certainly @federica when you look at the deeper meaning of the concepts. But when you just look at the image of the symbol, it’s that harsh white contrasted with a dark black, sharply delineated.

• @Kerome
    @Federica is explaining a deeper understanding of duality as you say B)

... as yin yang spin, at the point of maximum yang they become yinified. Their seeds ebbing and flowing ... as in @Shoshins animated representation.

A symbol worthy of the name, contains fluidity and unfolding.

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

@lobster said:
    As we know Gautama revealed all her secrets but some sects do otherwise. So naughty!

Did she? Did she tell Vacchagotta about anatta, for instance? She kept it a secret, because it would hurt Vatsagotra's feelings!

• LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited December 2020

Some Not so secret signs of the Dharma:
    Smile
    Laugh
    Extend Hand
    Embrace
    Accept
    Encourage
    Sit down
    Stand up
    Support

Stay safe all
    Peace to all

JeffreyShoshin1lobster

@Lionduck said:
    Extend Hand
    Embrace

Well... offer to bump elbows at least.

lobsterShoshin1Lionduck