Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sutta Central

Rob_VRob_V North Carolina Explorer

Does anyone here find Sutta Central helpful for systematic dhamma study?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I personally haven’t used Sutta Central very much, when I have need of suttas it is usually when I am looking something up and I use Access To Insight for that.

That said, the articles and study guides on Access To Insight have been useful to me. I found them a good way to explore some selections of suttas that I hadn’t seen before.

My main way of approaching the sutras has been through anthologies, relying on others to make selections, rather than trying to systematically start reading the Tipitaka.

• Rob_VRob_V North Carolina Explorer

@Kerome said:
    My main way of approaching the sutras has been through anthologies, relying on others to make selections, rather than trying to systematically start reading the Tipitaka.

Me too until recently. But I've had issues in most facets of life by believing what others say something or someone said ("our god is a living god" comes to mind), or forming my opinion based on another's opinion.

I have no intention of reading the tipitaka, just the suttapitaka; the rest makes little difference to me. It makes the goal seem more attainable.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Rob_V said:

@Kerome said:

Me too until recently. But I've had issues in most facets of life by believing what others say something or someone said ("our god is a living god" comes to mind), or forming my opinion based on another's opinion.

It’s still the words of the Buddha, even if someone else picks the exact translation. The thing is, even the suttapitaka is a large body of text, and from a few trials it is a bit hit and miss what parts of the suttas are relevant for a western follower.