Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Poor

As we know, the Sangha are impoverished. Their riches are banked elsewhere.

Poverty, sometimes comes our way. What a blessing.

• Are you covid cloistered? Blessed.
  • Are you making do with less? Blessed.
  • Death nearby? Blessed.

I am drinking green tea with jasmine. It is quiet. Nothing more.

JeffreyFosdickDimmesdaleShoshin1Alex

Comments

• DimmesdaleDimmesdale Illinois Explorer

I recently started splashing myself with cold water in the shower. Not that big a sadhana yet, but hey it's a start. I desire the Cold. It brings me to life, not lulls me to Sleep, like warmth......

Then again, maybe in this time of Covid I am more of an ascetic than I give myself credit for!

JeffreylobsterAlex
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2020

@Dimmesdale
    While not the same...

I often e bike along various sea shore trails and where I used to see one occasional quick ocean dipper each month, since Covid 19 I have been noticing a steady increase in folks not only immersing themselves but also then staying still neck deep for extended periods of time in our icy North Pacific winter ocean waters.
    Wondering what specific practice this was, I've asked a number of them why they are doing it.
    No one referred it to any name or practice other than "sanity" or "because it's where I feel most present".

While somewhat awed by their fortitude and the answer's similarity to what I'd say about my own meditation practice, something in their eyes reminded me more of a woman I once knew who used to say the same thing about why she used to burn herself with lit cigarettes.

Admission of ignorance!
    I think I have limited comprehension of just how deeply Covid 19 might be hurting everyone, everywhere.

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It’s early morning and I woke from sleep to feelings of my body energy leaving me, a few minutes ago. I decided to have a cup of camomile tea on the couch in the living room, while sitting quietly in the dark.

lobster
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I am poor in every way imaginable, and mostly not in a good way. But maybe one day I will discover riches in the depth of privation.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Being poor is not a bad thing, as long as it doesn’t weigh on you. Having constant money worries can be debilitating, but if you can earn enough to not have to worry then being poor is ok. I’ve heard it said many times that being rich is a spiritual disadvantage, that for living a spiritual life it is much better to be poor.

Was it not Jesus who said, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of god.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2020

@Jason said:
    I am poor in every way imaginable, and mostly not in a good way. But maybe one day I will discover riches in the depth of privation.

Setting up and maintaining a site to help others towards suffering's cessation sounds like those riches have already found you.

lobsterShoshin1JeffreySuraShine
  • Admission of ignorance!
    I think I have limited comprehension of just how deeply Covid 19 might be hurting everyone, everywhere.

Involuntary asceticism, imposed or perceived poverty = suffering/dukkha.
    Voluntary being aligned with our poor selves = The Way

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@how said:

@Jason said:

Setting up and maintaining a site to help others towards suffering's cessation sounds like those riches have already found you.

I'm not really the one responsible for that. @Brian and @Linc deserve the credit for setting up and maintaining Newbuddhist.com. I just hang out here a lot.

• I decided to have a cup of camomile tea on the couch in the living room, while sitting quietly in the dark.

Ah hah!
    The dark is one of the riches of those too poor to afford candles.

We had a bit of a wind during the night. Oh wait it is still night/holy night ... all is calm.