Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No snow?

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited December 2020 in NewBuddhist.com

Kinda sad to see we didn't have the annual NB snow fall this year. I sure kept signing on...looking for it. Waiting for the usual jokes to be cracked, etc. (For newbies who don't know , the creative folks behind the screen would give us falling snow for the month of Dec)

Global warming? The shit show of 2020? Whatever the reason.......impermanence. o:)

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Snow clogs up the machinery, who knows what bugs it was responsible for.

BunksVastmindLinc
  • @Linc our behind the scenes tech wizard has been updating and improving the forum reliability and simplicity. Hopefully without snow/cocaine ;)

If we pray to the gods and baddass buddhas of the Interweb who snows what might happen ...

Consolation prize ...

Vastmind
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

That was a very snowy video @lobster winter wonderlands galore

• After xmas dinner we streamed a two hour reindeer postal journey through the snow with the Sami people.

Amazing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06t3psw

BunksChoephal
  • Yes, fond memories of the NB snow screen . . .

Vastmind
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

If it was an Australian Christmas video it would be a fly screen.... 😄

VastmindShoshin1SuraShine
  • ChoephalChoephal UK Veteran

A young member of my family who is 28, has only seen snow once in her town in the south of the U.K. Don’t believe the snow scenes on Christmas cards in England! They are folk memories from “The Little Ice Age” that happened in the early 19th century when the Thames froze over each winter for some years.

@lobster said:
    After xmas dinner we streamed a two hour reindeer postal journey through the snow with the Sami people.

Amazing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06t3psw

It’s wonderful. We have enjoyed all the BBC’s “slow TV” programmes. The absence of background music is refreshing in itself. The Sami one is a delight.

• Any snow in your neck of the woods ?

No snow yet, though we had some ice on the ponds a couple of days ago.

No..but that’s normal. It’s a bit chilly out and the forecast is telling of real cold.

• Yes we have pretty snowfall last night outlining the trees branches.

How do you edit a photo to make the file size smaller in Mac Photos?

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited January 2021

I can't help you @Jeffrey but @Kerome or @lobster might be able to...It would be nice to see the snow in other member's neck of the woods...

@jeffrey there is an Adjust Size tool in the Tools in the Preview app. Maybe that helps?

Jeffrey
  • I have Photos on a Mac. It does not have Tools or Adjust Size tool. Has: Photos, File, Edit, Image, View, Window, Help

• Change an image’s dimensions
    In the Preview app on your Mac, click the Show Markup Toolbar button (if the Markup toolbar isn’t showing), then click the Adjust Size button .
    Enter new values for width and height, or click the “Fit into” pop-up menu and choose a size.
    Resize the image by a percentage: Choose “per cent” from the pop-up menu next to the Width and Height fields, then enter the percentage in those fields.
    Force the image to keep its original proportions: Select “Scale proportionally”. If you change either the width or height, the other value changes to maintain the proportions. If you choose a size from the “Fit into” pop-up menu, the image’s width or height may be smaller than the chosen size to maintain the proportions.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/preview/prvw2015/mac

I don't use mac photos.
    If the above does not work, maybe do a search for a resizer or contact Apple Support

Hope that is helpful 🙏🏽 @Jeffrey

Jeffrey

If you save or export an image from Photo’s, you can create a jpeg file and if you right-click on that you will see the option to open it with Preview.

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2021

Thanks I did find the Preview app which I had never used previously! @Kerome I'll try from right click a different time but yes making it a JPEG file helped out a lot! Thanks!

Edit: didn't expect the photo to be big.. under construction

Shoshin1lobsterperson
  • That's a good coating of snow @Jeffrey ...

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

A cold front appears to be passing thru. Forecast calls for flurries for the next few days.

Shoshin1JeffreyJeroen
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited February 2021

Hey it's snowing again on the forum....

Jeffrey

Yeah I see it too... and that while we are getting highs of 16 degrees C all of a sudden. Temperatures have literally gone from -10 to +16 in a few days. Crazy weather.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Screen snow? ??
    Nice to see it's not just my floaters getting worse.

Shoshin1
  • Ah yes, there it is!
    Makes me smile.

• @how said:
    Screen snow? ??
    Nice to see it's not just my floaters getting worse.

At first that's what i thought. :)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Vastmind - please stay safe <3

Vastmind

The snow here is now all gone, and we have balmy warm t-shirt weather. I can’t remember ever having such a rapid transition of temps. All the spring flowers are coming out, and it’s February.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:
    The snow here is now all gone, and we have balmy warm t-shirt weather. I can’t remember ever having such a rapid transition of temps. All the spring flowers are coming out, and it’s February.

same here...1 day, the dog is frolicking in the patches of chilly white stuff, the next, I'm taking my jumper off because it's unseasonally warm! (Don't worry, I have another 5 layers on under the jumper, I'll be fine, y'awl...!)

Shoshin1
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2022

Bumped. :)
    Have we outgrown the tradition, Dad?
    * eyeroll *
    Party pooper.

Steve_B

I’ll keep a weather eye out for it…

• I think I remember a few years ago that the forum uses different software now, so the snow we fondly remember isn't possible any more. Or maybe I'm just imagining that . . .

Vastmind
    edited December 2022

I don't think snow's ever shown up as early as mid-December, our server's still a bit too warm then, but for a few days at the end of the year you might spot some if you keep your eyes peeled.

VastmindJeroenmarcitko
  • Let it snow! Let it snow! :D

• It's snowing for me! Alas, just electronically here on NB, not so much in my town for Christmass.

• Shsssss
    don't tell @how......let him think he's got floaters ;);)

VastmindJeroenKotishka

Is there anyway to turn the snow off? It seems to be bugging on my ipad and it won’t let me copy and paste anything because the comment box is continually moving underneath the on-screen keyboard…

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

We’ve all taken turns shoveling the snow now….ready for it to be over. 😏

Sorry 'bout that, left it on way longer than intended 😅

JeroenKotishka
  • Here in the northern Front Range, we've had snow on the ground for months, which is quite unusual for this microclimate. It's pretty thin now, with large patches of ground showing through, but now there's another storm in the forecast for Wednesday.

The NB snow requires no shoveling, doesn't make the roads icy. It's pretty, and charming, and I hope to see it again next winter.

VastmindKotishkaShoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Linc said:
    Sorry 'bout that, left it on way longer than intended 😅

Apparently, we in the UK are bracing ourselves for the possible return of the "Beast from the East" so we may not be quite done with shoveling snow just yet!

• "Sorry, no snow. The tech crew got stuck in the snow..."

Shoshin1