Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What movies are you watching?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I thought you all might enjoy this docu, very peaceful underwater footage...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Saw this last night, thought it was pretty good. It’s called Collateral Beauty, with Will Smith, Edward Norton, Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, Kiera Knightley, and Naomie Harris. Directed by David Frankel.

Finally finished watching this tonight, a movie called Demolition with Jake Gyllenhaal, Naomie Watts. Directed by Jean-Marc Vallee. It was about grief, and how an emotionally disconnected man comes back to life.

• @how Chinese hermits and Bodhidharma's cave.

Bunks
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I watched Superintelligence with Melissa McCarthy last night.

It's like The Day the Earth Stood Still but funny and well timed in my opinion. That's why I asked my wife to ask the Alexa on our tablet if it has a preferred pronoun.

It said "yes, I use "it" thanks for asking"

If I had to make a list of my favorite well known humans, Melissa McCarthy would be right up there.

• We watched a good series called Dead to Me.

A hotheaded widow searching for the hit-and-run driver who mowed down her husband befriends an eccentric optimist who isn't quite what she seems.

I really liked the characters and writing and I like mysteries.

federica
  • A Science Fiction film based on Rumi?

No question about it ... The Last Boy

• I watched The Last Samurai recently. I like the soul of that film very much, but it's a shame it had to be Hollywooded.

Baraka on YouTube for those who haven’t seen it. Excellent documentary without dialogue or actors.

• Just watched this inetesting doco on YouTube...
    "Do You Have An Unrelated Identical Twin? "

Have you met your doppelgänger ?

• I really liked the characters and writing and I like mysteries.

Ah ha!

Perhaps you might like 'Mank'. I did.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2020

Capital in the 21st Century - the documentary of the book ...

Jeroen
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm enjoying Lovecraft Country right now.

Based on Matt Ruff 's novel of the same name, Lovecraft Country follows Atticus Freeman (Jonathan Majors) as he meets up with his friend Letitia (Jurnee Smollett) and his Uncle George (Courtney B. Vance) to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America in search of his missing father (Michael Kenneth Williams). This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the terrifying monsters that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback.

Vimalajātihow
  • @person

I enjoyed Lovecraft Country very much.

Tried reading the book too. Only got as far as the first 100 pages.

You might like the watchmen TV series too. In many ways it is superior to the film ...

Vimalajātihow

Yes, a thumb up for Watchmen too.

I quite like sophisticated thrillers, and so I follow Christopher Nolan. I just saw his latest movie Tenet, it was not bad. Powerhouse performance by Kenneth Branagh.

• I liked Tenet. It was interesting.

Just watched 'The Help' for the second time. Hard viewing but an excellent film.

Saw this, liked it. Good performances by the leads, great music.

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited December 2020

I couldn't get into Lovecraft Country because I'm too much a fan of Lovecraft's strange fiction, the influence of which was largely missing from Lovecraft Country. Lovecraft Country eschewed Lovecraftian horror for American zombies and werewolves and pop culture. Their shoggoths were a very strange interpretation leading me to wonder if anyone on the production team had ever picked up a Lovecraft book.

That being said, Lovecraft himself was a reprehensible racist man, and it is kind of fitting his name would become attached to a show about racism and people of colour living their lives in a supernatural world that has essentially nothing to do with him or anything he wrote. Very oddly fitting.

I do think the show was poorly named. "Lovecraft Country" is a code word for "where the racists are" and I do like that usage. It is really a fantasy show about racism more than any adaption of Lovecraftian fiction.

lobster

Saw this for a second time, I found it moving and quite sophisticated.

Jeffrey
  • Based on a true story.

Watched this, and for those of my generation, who grew up in the eighties with video games and movies, this film with all its pop references is a lot of fun.

Kotishka
  • Virtual Reality as in Ready Player One ... leading to augmented reality is on its way. I really enjoyed @Kerome suggestion when I saw it.

I really enjoyed Soul. For those looking for a mechanism for reincarnation, Disney/Pixar has the answer. 🌈 Watched it before Christmas dinner. Fun and meaningful. Everyone appreciated Soul. Incidentally we had turkey, chips, cabbage and carrots. Delicious. We had Christmas pudding for supper. 😋

I haven’t seen Soul yet, but am looking forward to it. Pixar makes such wonderful animated films.

This was our Christmas movie, The Mountain Between Us. Great acting by Kate Winslet and Idris Elba. It was pretty good.

• We watched both seasons of Big Little Lies tv series. Phenomenal actresses: Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley, Nicole Kidman, Zoe Kravitz, and Meryl Streep! (season 2). Also Adam Scott gave great performances.

• This is the first example of pixars computer generated animation @Kerome Still brilliant and part of their logo ...

Jeroen
  • ChoephalChoephal UK Veteran

We watched The Silence Of The Lambs, largely because my wife has avoided it for years and she “thought she should see it.”...And of course it scared the bejesus out of her!
    😱 The things we do because we think we should...

lobsterStu_the_Blessed

Exactly, but why did she think she should? Is it some kind of challenge, to see if you can see scary movies without hiding behind the sofa?

She felt that as it was a well known and much referenced cultural phenomenon that she wanted to judge its merits for herself. She concluded that is well a well constructed and well acted movie, she was particularly impressed by Jodie Foster’s performance, but that the degree of violence was gratuitous. She added that she was glad that she had watched it because it is often seen as a an outstanding example in its genre, but that she was not in a hurry to repeat the experience!

JeroenlobsterShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2021

I accidentally watched the be movie 'All in time'. Fortunately it had lobsters and time travellers ...

Apple is offering me its plus service for a year.

No apple for me (get thee behind me jobs).

Talking of scary movies, found 'The night before' ... funny

edited January 2021

I saw this tonight, Moonstruck, with Nicholas Cage and Cher, directed by Norman Jewison. It’s amazing to think that Cher actually won the Best Actress Oscar in 1988 for a romantic comedy. It also won best supporting actress and best screenplay.

• Fortunately I was unable to watch the sound of music ... so instead
    A rock and roll musical comedy ... Suck

Fun for all the family ... >:)

I enjoyed watching Tea With Mussolini and was surprised (which was condescending of me) by Cher holding her own in acting terms in the company of the likes of Maggie Smith and Judy Dench...

@lobster said:
    Fortunately I was unable to watch the sound of music ...

I actually saw some of The Sound of Music over Christmas, the first time in about 20 years that I watched it. It was ok, I kinda enjoyed it.

• I've just finished watching "The Last Man On Earth" (1964) on youtube

Vincent Price at his best...

Jeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2021

The things we do because we think we should...

Tee Hee some movies are largely based on what might happen, could happen or we hope/fear might actually happen.

Wasn't Hannibal Lector a flexitarian? Seemed to remember he was partial to fava beans oh ... and human beans ... with Italian whine ... o:)

edited January 2021

Ahh Vincent Price films... those were the days. But I find the idea of a vampire invasion does not hold much terror for me, disease seems more likely. Have you seen I Am Legend? More of the same, a little goes a long way...

• Yes that was the one with Will Smith, I liked that too....
    Mind you I love the old movies where the actors are over the top with acting ie, how they exaggerate every movement and facial expressions etc ..I love it...

edited January 2021

I was watching this, Delivery Man with Vince Vaughn and Chris Pratt, directed by Ken Scott. It was actually quite good, sweet but not really funny.

edited January 2021

I've been watching an HBO original, Raised By Wolves. It's well produced and directed by Ridley Scott, very futuristic sci fi show, right up my alley. I'm in the middle of it so its hard to say if there are really any valuable messages in it, like some sci fi tries to do, or if its just brain candy for those attached to such things.

The earth was destroyed in a future war between religious zealots and hardcore Athiests. Both factions send arks to Kepler 22b in an effort to continue the human race.

Jeroen
  • I kinda enjoyed it.

It has great subplots. For example failed nun, fleeing nazis ... and the hills ARE alive ;)

edited January 2021

The 5th season of The Expanse started on Amazon Prime. IMO this is an A+ sci fi show.

It takes place a few hundred years in the future when humans have colonized the moon, Mars and the asteroid belt. These areas have been around long enough that the people there now consider themselves distinct social and political entities. It has a very rich world building and story, the characters are real. Its far from campy fluff.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2021

I just started watching The Expanse. I'm on season 2 and enjoying it. Also listening to Tanis, a podcast that's like "TV for your ears."

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

At my wife's urging, we watched Beverly Hills Chihuahua the other night. I don't trust myself to comment on the artistic merit of the thing, but recommend it highly for anyone with an interest in canine anatomy, seeing as how most of the cast was either buck naked or only partially clothed.

I just watched The Big Short. If there ever was a movie that convinced me how utterly, utterly corrupt the banking industry is, it is this one. Watch it for a dose of realism.

And I was watching this, called Kooyanisqatsi... a vaguely hypnotic precursor to Baraka and Samsara, Ron Fricke was the cinematographer.

A nice profile on the website Letterboxd which has been described as “Goodreads for film”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/13/movies/letterboxd-growth.html?referringSource=articleShare

• @lobster said:
    Fortunately I was unable to watch the sound of music ... so instead
    A rock and roll musical comedy ... Suck

Fun for all the family ... >:)

That movie sucks....

• Just watched Lady Chatterley's Lover...I've heard lots about it but I don't recall ever reading the book but from all accounts it was a very smutty controversial book at the time...