Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Weeping Buddha

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

So, I’m at my friend Deb’s house last weekend, and I’m catching her up on things going with me, and she says “ you need to sit with my weeping Buddha for awhile” I said “what?, never heard of it”. I thought I had seen every Buddhist trinket and item out there....but this was brand new to me. Never seen one. It was teak wood, and she handed him to me and said, “ you need something tangible to give your worries to.” Needless to say, I ordered my own that night.

The statue of the Weeping Buddha displays Buddha in a Bent over position, covering his face with his both hands.
Behind this statue, there is an ancient legend about the two warriors who fought with each other in many battles.
In one such war, both were fighting and neither of them was losing the battle.
As an aggression continued, the older warrior losing his wits killed the younger warrior.
When he removed the mask of the Dead warrior, he was presented with the face of his son.
The grief and pain of killing his son landed up in complete torment and misery to the father, forced him on the ground.
Crying in agony, the father buried his face in his hands of what he had done.

The symbol of Weeping Buddha symbolize that Buddha is crying for the suffering of the World and his angst for the persistent sorrow in our lives.
Rubbing this Buddha statue’s back gives peace and strength. They are believed to take away your pain and be a source of happiness and joy in our lives.
Holding his head in his hands, the statue signifies to share your feelings and grief with him.
Weeping Buddha is a sculpture representing a sense of introspection of one’s self, own mind.
Not the physical introspection, it’s the mental analysis of our true being.
Another Symbolism of Weeping Buddha is for a Shy Yogi, who assumed this “weeping” position to be the best pose to awaken the third mystical eye.

It is believed that weeping Buddha takes away trouble that’s inside your mind, heals all the pain and grief buried down, and gives you strength to live a happy and loving life.
He is also believed to bestow peace and love in our lives.

— Weeping Buddha— Original Source

Steve_BShoshin1Jeffrey

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

• I had one, posted a pic here but can not find. I seem to remember I gave it away.
    Never heard your story before. Thanks for that ... <3

Vastmind
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Never come across these before. Thanks @Vastmind !

Vastmind
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited January 2021

So I don't think this wooden design is "traditional," I could be wrong, but that doesn't mean it's worthless as a statue or that the story of the Buddha crying doesn't have use and meaning.

They say that when Guanyin as a bodhisattva once gazed upon a turbulent lake, it brought back to her horrible memories of the cauldron of the Avici hell. In a moment of despair, she wept, and through the power of her bodhisattva vow, when her tear struck the earth, Tara was born, saying "I will be your companion."

Maybe the weeping Buddha is a cultural echo of this story?

VastmindpersonBunks
    edited January 2021

Yeah, traditional never came to mind, TBH.

Hence the phrase ‘ancient legend’ in the post.
    A cultural echo? Legends/stories/symbols usually are. ;)

@Vimalajāti

lobster
    edited January 2021

I do want to clear something...it's not my story, and the cite in the OP looks weird saying 'original source' , even tho that's it..... :p

-- https://originalsource.com/blogs/statues/weeping-buddha

another version:

https://www.buddhagroove.com/what-does-the-weeping-buddha-signify/

https://theopenmindcenter.com/the-story-of-the-weeping-buddha/

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

You could try a different slant (as advised by Ajahn Brahm):

Write your problems on toilet paper with a brown pencil. Carry them around a little if you like but then ceremonially flush them down the toilet.

Bye......:)

VastmindlobsterShoshin1
  • @Bunks said:

ceremonially flush them down the toilet.

Bye......:)

...Shit happens ;)

Bunks