Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

12 Quick Mini-Meditations

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited January 2021 in Meditation

No Time, No Desire to Meditate? No Problem!

When we think of meditation, we usually think of formal meditation, in which the meditator sits quietly for a designated amount of time, say 20-40 minutes, focusing on the breath or another object of contemplation. In mindfulness meditation, when upsetting thoughts, sensations, or feelings interfere, as they always do, experienced meditators learn to notice them, let them pass by, and then return to paying attention to the breath.

Mini-meditations, just like their longer cousins, do involve learning how to be mindful. Mindfulness pioneer Jon Kabat-Zinn defines mindfulness as "paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally.” In addition, mindfulness “is an open, compassionate attitude toward your inner experience,” as Psychology Today blogger Melanie Greenberg writes in The Stress-Proof Brain.

No matter how busy you are, you have time for the mini-meditations in this article— each takes 30 seconds or less.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/changepower/201703/12-quick-mini-meditations-calm-your-mind-and-body

My personal favorite right now is "Notice 5 things".
If you want to tune in to your surroundings, decide to notice five interesting things you can see, hear, feel, or smell. This simple exercise will enliven any routine activity, such as a walk, by inviting you to notice what is unique, new, or previously unseen. It’s literally an eye-opener.

personShoshin1BunksRob_Vlobster

Comments

• These are all skilful memes:

• When positive, write it down. When negative read.
    • Stretch. To the sky with you.
    • Seek some body tension/awareness to relax
    • Bow to the teacher. It may be anything.
    • Wash your hands/face with cold water. S l o w l y ...
    • Imagine yourself relaxing on a beach. Hold. Enjoy.
    • Listen to: silence, chimes, music. Mood modified.
    • Pose

VastmindShoshin1
  • I also find the "Notice 5 things" method useful. A quick mindfulness practice for busy individuals like me.

Here's a few more mindfulness meditation exercises I do at home:

1. The Body Scan
      Run through each part of your body. Pay close attention to them.

2. Mindful Walk Exercise
      This helps observe our thoughts and emotions without reacting to solve them.

3. 5 Senses Exercise
      Use your 5 senses to notice things.

Let's all be aware of the present moment and achieve mindful state.

https://innerwisdomstore.com/blogs/news/3-mindfulness-meditation-exercises-you-can-try-for-anxiety

VastmindlobsterJeroenShoshin1
  • Let's all be aware of the present moment and achieve mindful state.

I always knew there was a plan ... B)
    Being mindful now seems to be mainstream. Awareness/attention/samadhi/nirvana from a Buddhist practitioners perspective is a good beginning, end and begin again ...

“Before I had studied Ch’an [Zen] for thirty years, I saw mountains as mountains, and rivers as rivers. When I arrived at a more intimate knowledge, I came to the point where I saw that mountains are not mountains, and rivers are not rivers. But now that I have got its very substance I am at rest. For it’s just that I see mountains once again as mountains, and rivers once again as rivers.”
    ~Qingyuan Weixin
    https://theconsciousprocess.wordpress.com/2013/06/14/first-there-is-a-mountain/

VastmindJeroen