Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Journal

Rob_VRob_V North Carolina Explorer

Chances are I won't keep this up, but meantime feel free to comment or add your own entries.

My meditative style is generally quiet. I am blessed to have a separate room for meditation. It is my sacred space. In it is a shrine/altar on which I burn incense (air), in salt (earth), candles (fire) ine which rests over a glass of water.
I sit on a padded riser (I have a hard time getting off the floor) and a 4" cushion. Some mornings I listen to Thanisarro Bhikkhu for a few minutes, sometimes not. Sometimes if its later I may chant a short 'namo tassa...' and take refuge, but usually it's too early and it'll get the dogs going. So I try, usually unsuccessfully, to focus on the breath alone. I usually resort to grabbing my mala beads and using the 4 Nobles Truths and the Eightfold Path of the Nobles as a sort if mantra. I'll do 108 of those sitting, and another 108 walking. I'd like to bragg and say I do this all the way through, every single day. That'd be a whopping lie. I often do both, 4 or 5 days a week. Sometimes.

So for today's journal; meh! '_(°•°)_/' I've had better. Couldn't seem to concentrate this morning. My mind kept wandering into fantasy land or planning mode (the same setting in my brain...). I did manage to have the discipline to complete the session though, so there's that. Ah well, even a bad session is better than none I guess.

Metta!
🙏

JeroenpersonlobsterJasonBunksShoshin1marcitko

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2021

Had a best friend for much of my life who was a Dharma brother. He was committed to a daily meditational journal recording as part of his means of addressing some heavy karmic demons but worried that if his wife ever read them, that his marriage would be irreparably damaged. He asked me one day if some of what he wanted to privately journal about, could be attributed as my thoughts instead of his, to mitigate that possibility.
    I said if those journals were private then sure.
    8 years later he died. One of the last things he asked from me was to check in on his wife after the dust settled from his death to make sure she was ok.
    That visit occurred after she took his journals out on a solo wilderness camping trip to burn them.

That visit put me in the presence of someone who surprisingly now not only viscerally hated my guts but apparently seemed to revel in that hatred.

I am guessing that some of those journals got read before being burned. I said nothing.

Jeroenmarcitko
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited January 2021

Hmm. Difficult — I’m sure she would have recognised his handwriting. But a good warning about the difficulties of maintaining a meditation journal.

@Rob_V i think the journal is a brave effort, I hope it goes well

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Rob_V said:
    Chances are I won't keep this up, but meantime feel free to comment or add your own entries.

My meditative style is generally quiet. I am blessed to have a separate room for meditation. It is my sacred space. In it is a shrine/altar on which I burn incense (air), in salt (earth), candles (fire) ine which rests over a glass of water.
    I sit on a padded riser (I have a hard time getting off the floor) and a 4" cushion. Some mornings I listen to Thanisarro Bhikkhu for a few minutes, sometimes not. Sometimes if its later I may chant a short 'namo tassa...' and take refuge, but usually it's too early and it'll get the dogs going. So I try, usually unsuccessfully, to focus on the breath alone. I usually resort to grabbing my mala beads and using the 4 Nobles Truths and the Eightfold Path of the Nobles as a sort if mantra. I'll do 108 of those sitting, and another 108 walking. I'd like to bragg and say I do this all the way through, every single day. That'd be a whopping lie. I often do both, 4 or 5 days a week. Sometimes.

So for today's journal; meh! '_(°•°)_/' I've had better. Couldn't seem to concentrate this morning. My mind kept wandering into fantasy land or planning mode (the same setting in my brain...). I did manage to have the discipline to complete the session though, so there's that. Ah well, even a bad session is better than none I guess.

Metta!
    🙏

Good on you! Hope it’s beneficial

• add your own entries ...

Seems like a plan B)

Meditation Journal (Stardate 2218)

1. Woke up asleep. Developed attentive awareness. Sat around awhile with @how Zoomeries. Mind about as still as a barrel of mad monkeys - usual junk.
    2. Did chores as mindfully as possible.
    3. Did moving meditation Qiong sequence followed by 10 minutes of yogic body awareness.
    4. Solved all the worlds problems with a Zoom call with friend.
    5. Breakfast.

"I'm giving her all she's got, Captain! She cannae take anymore."
    Montgomery Scott

Bunks
  • Rob_VRob_V North Carolina Explorer

@lobster said:

add your own entries ...

Seems like a plan B)

Meditation Journal (Stardate 2218)

1. Woke up asleep.

Errmmm...neat trick!

1. Did moving meditation Qiong sequence

Qiong interests me, but I'm not patient enough to learn it..

1. Solved all the worlds problems with a Zoom call

Good for you. Someone had to

lobster

@how said:
    Had a best friend for much of my life who was a Dharma brother. He was committed to a daily meditational journal recording as part of his means of addressing some heavy karmic demons but worried that if his wife ever read them, that his marriage would be irreparably damaged. He asked me one day if some of what he wanted to privately journal about, could be attributed as my thoughts instead of his, to mitigate that possibility.
    I said if those journals were private then sure.
    8 years later he died. One of the last things he asked from me was to check in on his wife after the dust settled from his death to make sure she was ok.
    That visit occurred after she took his journals out on a solo wilderness camping trip to burn them.

That visit put me in the presence of someone who surprisingly now not only viscerally hated my guts but apparently seemed to revel in that hatred.

I am guessing that some of those journals got read before being burned. I said nothing.

Worst part? We ALL have those demons, they just manifest uniquely for each of us.

Did a quick 20 minutes after work. I'm trying to get in 2 sessions a day. We'll see.

Mind wandered, but I'd just heard a Dhamma talk by Ajahn Jayasaro about exercising mindfulness and how it's strengthened by bringing it back to the breath quicker each time, so I didn't worry about it.

• Meditation Journal day 2

Zoom participants have been partially redacted to protect the guilty B)

BEFORE

AFTER

Rob_V

It never ceases to amaze me how a still mostly asleep brain can reorder your entire morning in an instant when the alarm goes off so that you can sleep another hour.

I was able to do 25 - 30 minutes before I felt it necessary to pick up the beads. I also had a bit less reliance on the 4NT/8FNP mantra this morning.

Lately, while sitting, I find myself with my head cocked upward and to the right, much like I've observed the blind do. It seems perfectly natural to me, so I don't fight it. Any thoughts on that?

At any rate, an educational and productive session I'd say.

• Lobster meditation Journal (third daze)

• preparing for meditation by being awake
    • drank kefir yogurt and organic milk to ensure gut chakra safe
    • prayed to Allah, Buddha and the usual Super Heroics
    • plan to display (screen mirroring) my fellow Zoomy meditators on TV

Hail Meditation, full of grace,
    the Lord Buddha is with us.
    Blessed art sum amongst women,
    and blessed is the fruit of the earth, Sangha.
    Whole Meditation, Mother of Nirvana,
    pray for us weeners,
    now and at the hour of our awareness. Hrih.

Originalish
    Hail Mary, full of grace,
    the Lord is with thee.
    Blessed art thou amongst women,
    and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
    Holy Mary, Mother of God,
    pray for us sinners,
    now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2021

Lobster meditation Journal Supplemental

• Managed to mirror iPad on TV for zoom meditation. I am lobster of borg, resistance is futile. [ahem]
    • Was able to stand and do some serious bowing to zendo (aka front room), zoomeries, stray cat, Buddhas and any visiting devas.
      https://newbuddhist.com/discussion/26703/nb-meditation-zoom/p1

• Went straight into a Raja yoga routine from Youtube ...

Soon I will be ultra-practitioner (Engage!)

• yagryagr Veteran

I discovered that a growing desire to have something noteworthy to write about in my meditation journal interfered with the quality of my meditations and so I stopped keeping one.

howlobsterShoshin1

@yagr said:
    I discovered that a growing desire to have something noteworthy to write about in my meditation journal interfered with the quality of my meditations and so I stopped keeping one.

I'm not looking for noteworthy, I'm looking for patterns, ruts that I may be stuck in, perhaps some mutually beneficial encouragement as well.

• Ah well, even a bad session is better than none I guess.

Indeed.
    Meanwhile:

02:42am Thors day

• Breath slowed but conscious.
    • Body scanned. Still there.
    • Nothing to report.

https://theartofliving.com/journal-meditation-finding-zen-problem-solving/

• Despite this message from my ISP was able to attend. B)

We are writing as we have some planned works to enhance the reliability of your service and improve network performance in your area.

These works will take place on Friday the 29th of January.

Please expect up to 3 hours of downtime between 05:00 am and 08:00 am and please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused. These works are essential in order to keep our network performing at optimal levels.

(my zoom meditation is in the middle of this and requires the internet at 06.00am) It was down for less than an hour ... phew ...