Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good pain

Tsk, tsk did you think this was about sexual diversion?
No pain, no gain (Jane Fonda)

In the yogic path, very different to soft taoism mmm ..., we come across good and bad pain.
For example bad pain is sitting in fool lotus, in agony whilst thinking one is meditating on bliss ...
Phew serotonin rush when the pain stops is bad ... belongs to sado-masochistic practices ... You knew right?

However to relax into discomfort is a spiritual practice.

Here are some of my discomforting teachers that I learn to let go in:

• Yoga, not too tight, not too loose. Gently, gradually. Less is more.
  • Food. If I buy junk, I eat it. Fruit and veg taste goodly.
  • Because I enjoy meditation, I should do more? Nope. Do smarter.
  • People, especially family too much? How to be kind ... especially if you are the black lobster sheep. Practice.

What dukkha needs your attention?

ChoephalyagrpersonVastmind

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I really wanted to go on a health push this year, try to lose some weight, go for a serious gym routine, get fit again. But COVID has made that impossible. So that has to wait.

yagr
  • @Kerome said:
    I really wanted to go on a health push this year, try to lose some weight, go for a serious gym routine, get fit again. But COVID has made that impossible. So that has to wait.

Perhaps the gym must weight wait. Hmm, it seems I wrote that first sentence while possessed by @lobster. Anywho, I will have you know that I went on a diet on July 1st (sans gym) that lasted 98 days - till October 8th when I met with my doctor. Lost 68 pounds (31 kg, 4.9 stone). You got this!

Bunks
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2021

I do stretches and a calisthenic 1/day sometimes miss days. Calisthenics: push ups, squats just body weight, sit ups. I do one of those each exercise first I do some stretches including improvised reaching upwards and downwards and swaying while breathing and slow moving things like that.

lobsteryagr
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@yagr said:
    Anywho, I will have you know that I went on a diet on July 1st (sans gym) that lasted 98 days - till October 8th when I met with my doctor. Lost 68 pounds (31 kg, 4.9 stone). You got this!

That’s really impressive. I don’t have that much to lose, if I drop 20 kg I will be at my target weight, but I’d like to get really fit again, as I was ten years ago. If you think about it, 20 kg is 20 liters of water that you’re unnecessarily storing around your body and carrying along with you, it’s a lot of volume and a lot of weight if you think of just carrying that much from the supermarket to your home.

But my body doesn’t react very well to diets, I’ve been on 4-5 different diets over the past fifteen years and I tend to lose some, like 5 kg and then it stops, and it slowly comes back when I change my eating habits again. It’s about a lifestyle choice.

yagr

I’ve also strained a thigh muscle walking in the cold,,, no yoga until it feels better.

Bunks
  • Pain ain't my thing.
    However a good hot steaming mug of Chocolate -Ahhhhh! =)<3

lobsterJeroen
  • Chocolate drink counts as essential food @Lionduck ;)

Diets are useless @Kerome. Lifestyle change.
    Try seated yoga sequence @Kerome.

I think 'swaying whilst breathing' sounds doable @Jeffrey
    My mother who is moving into dementia, did 14 minutes of totally focussed qi ong yesterday. She nearly fell during a quite hard balance exercise. Was very impressed with her sustained physical efforts and concentration ...

I am certainly finding my yoga practice is improving my well being. Still doing meditation but have dropped doing it on Zoom. More convenient to not use computer ...

Lionduck