Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What movies are you watching?

Comments

• I watched The Babadook because of the hype. I was expecting to be scared after the movie. All I felt was depression.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2021

Lupin. Netflix. French, dubbed skilfully into English. Only 5 episodes in the 1st series but more is in the pipeline... theoretically scheduled for April '21... as there are over 60 stories, there's plenty of potential material. Extremely good. My erudite, educated, and intellectual 88-year-old mother found it excellent, and her disappointment at there being merely 5 episodes was palpable.

Oh. Where are my manners?
    Happy New Year, everyone.

lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

On the recommendation of a friend I watched Gran Tourino with Clint Eastwood last night.
    Fairly forgettable...

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited January 2021

I'm a bit into the series Warrior. The story idea comes from Bruce Lee and the main star mimics some of his fighting style. What is the most interesting to me though is the story backdrop is the early Chinese immigration into the US. This era of US history hasn't really been depicted or covered much in popular fiction.

The characters and story are somewhat boiler plate western/gangster, but the production value is high and the martial arts action is well done.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I was watching this. Disney’s Moana which was quite good fun, if a bit syrupy in the beginning.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited January 2021

I thought this was excellent, a docu on YouTube which consists mostly of people talking to camera and being amazingly honest about subjects such as love, being a woman, abuse and money.

• I think we may have been in a movie ...

Will be watching this instead

• Saw the first of this animated series headspace-guide-to-meditation
    https://www.vulture.com/article/headspace-guide-to-meditation-netflix-series.html

Very good so far ...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yesterday evening the old fella and I watched a film called "A Monster Calls". It's about a boy whose young mother is terminally ill with cancer... and the upheaval of emotions he goes through, accompanied throughout the film by a Yew tree that comes to life. Weird? Not really. Charming, thought-provoking and quite emotional.
    Louis MacDougall, who plays the boy, is superb. Sigourney Weaver, as his grandmother, is brilliant, in an understated way...

lobster

I was watching this, called Dark Shadows, with Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Chloe Grace Moretz, Helena Bonham Carter and Eva Green, directed by Tim Burton. Just goes to show that a strong cast and a good director can’t make a turkey into a swan. It was not a good movie. Avoid.

• eh ... not really interested in what not to watch :p

try this instead ... fun!

That does look much better @lobster, good find!

• Jeroenlobster

@lobster said:
    eh ... not really interested in what not to watch :p

I thought the combination of Tim Burton and vampires might prove interesting to some people. It wasn’t Burton’s best film by a long shot but for those into such things it might be ok.

@Shoshin1 said:

Beautiful short film @shoshin1 though rather sad. It caused me to shed a tear or two and made me all emotional...

Shoshin1
  • Mind bending time travel...

Yesterme yesteryou yesterday

lobster
  • I enjoyed this film ...

even though it is not out yet :3

LBArt23

This was quite a fun film. No violence and some pretty funny bits. French Kiss, starring Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline, directed by Lawrence Kasdan.

edited March 2021

Okay, this just came into my YouTube feed and it looks amazing. Princess Bride is an all time classic that I've watched dozens of times and here is a home movie style remake of it done for charity and full of A list celebrities like Adam Sandler, Hugh Jackman, Shaq, Javier Bardem, Brian Cranston, and on and on. It looks to me like a couple celebrities were given a short scene and then they were all pieced together.

Pedro Pascal (the actor who played the Red Viper, Oberyn Martel, in Game of Thrones) put it up on his channel. It's only been up a couple months and whether it can stay is unclear (due to copyright, the company that had the copyright is now defunct). So I guess I'm saying if it seems interesting watch it sooner rather than later.

ETA: I'm a bit into it now, this looks like what Hollywood might have been up to in the early days of the pandemic. :) ETA2: Yes, apparently that's exactly what it is!

• Jeroen

Amazing camera shot... not too long ago this would have been impossible at any price, it was done with a drone.

Shoshin1
  • Mind bending time travel...

Thanks @Shoshin1 very simple, very gentle ...

@Kerome said:
    Amazing camera shot... not too long ago this would have been impossible at any price, it was done with a drone.

I didn't realize this when I first watched but then I saw a news story about it. I live like 10 miles from there, and used to live within walking distance.

edited March 2021

Saw this, it was quite good fun, kind of a supernatural romance between a ghost and a real person. Liked it enough to rewatch it again. Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo, directed by Mark Waters.

This I thought although it is a romance is a bit unusual, it has a pretty gritty feel to it. Lots of raw humanity. But a good movie, I enjoyed it. Frankie and Johnny with Al Pacino and Michelle Pfeiffer, directed by Gary Marshall.

lobster

@person said:
    Okay, this just came into my YouTube feed and it looks amazing. Princess Bride is an all time classic that I've watched dozens of times and here is a home movie style remake of it done for charity and full of A list celebrities like Adam Sandler, Hugh Jackman, Shaq, Javier Bardem, Brian Cranston, and on and on. It looks to me like a couple celebrities were given a short scene and then they were all pieced together.

Pedro Pascal (the actor who played the Red Viper, Oberyn Martel, in Game of Thrones) put it up on his channel. It's only been up a couple months and whether it can stay is unclear (due to copyright, the company that had the copyright is now defunct). So I guess I'm saying if it seems interesting watch it sooner rather than later.

ETA: I'm a bit into it now, this looks like what Hollywood might have been up to in the early days of the pandemic. :) ETA2: Yes, apparently that's exactly what it is!

Pedro Pascal is also The Mandalorian...

@federica said:

@person said:

Pedro Pascal is also The Mandalorian...

That was him, huh. I've only seen the first season and the brief moment he took off the helmet it did kind of look like him but he was so disheveled I couldn't really tell.

• The Two Popes

Not so much a film but a 2-part documentary on Woody Allen and Mia Farrow.... and the children in between...Extremely disturbing.

• Thanks @federica

I won't be watching that. I am disturbed enough ...
    Terrible story ... However I still find Woody Allen Funny :3

I watched slaxx about homicidal jeans ...
    not as funny as it could have been

Warning the following trailer contains images of killer jeans ... >:)

Saw this, it was a nice comic riff on what happens to lucky and unlucky people. Just My Luck, with Lindsay Lohan and Chris Pine.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2021

@Kerome said:
    Saw this, it was quite good fun, kind of a supernatural romance between a ghost and a real person. Liked it enough to rewatch it again. Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo, directed by Mark Waters.

Romantic comedy? Not my favourite genre but will watch after rewatching
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_(2014_film)

I have been recommended ‘Golden Years'. Will also watch the luck swap movie with Chris Pine ...

Comedy is my favoured genre at the moment.

I'm a foodie, so the latest "Somebody feed Phil" is great fun to watch... I'll tell you what though - he's put a little bit of weight on since his first series... maybe the next one should be titled "Would you all please stop feeding Phil..?!"

edited March 2021

I just saw this. I don’t want to give too much away but it was a really touching, heartfelt film. Sometimes difficult to watch — David’s relationship with his somewhat-schizophrenic father especially — it was an acting tour-de-force and musically just beautiful. It instilled a new respect for Rachmaninov’s third in me. Very much enjoyed it. Shine, with Geoffrey Rush, Armin Mueller-Stahl, directed by Scott Hicks.

• opiumpoetryopiumpoetry Delaware, Ohio, USA Explorer

I really recommend this list of Italian films https://www.imdb.com/list/ls033763778/?ref_=otl_3. If you have never watched Italian films, then you really don't know anything about films.

federica

Fortunately, I know quite a bit about Italian films... but more through birth than study!

@Kerome said:
    I just saw this. I don’t want to give too much away but it was a really touching, heartfelt film. Sometimes difficult to watch — David’s relationship with his somewhat-schizophrenic father especially — it was an acting tour-de-force and musically just beautiful. It instilled a new respect for Rachmaninov’s third in me. Very much enjoyed it. Shine, with Geoffrey Rush, Armin Mueller-Stahl, directed by Scott Hicks.

Geoffrey Rush is a marvellous, versatile, intelligent adaptive actor. He's extraordinary in anything he does. I particularly loved him in The King's Speech... Brilliant gift to stage and screen. And terribly underrated. I mean, terribly.

Really enjoyed this, Pixar’s Soul with the voices of Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey, directed by Pete Docter. All the big themes, passion, what gives life meaning, life after death, life before birth.

lobster
  • Beautiful, tragic, epic, innocent, multilayered ...
    Quite a film ... within a story ... within ...

Shoshin1
  • I've been watching "The Bridge" a detective series about a body being found between boarders...The first one I watch was where a Danish detective teams up with a Swedish detective to solve the case...one of the detectives has Asperger's...The second one I saw was between the UK and France (The tunnel) and the one I'm watching now is between the US and Mexico, the storyline's very similar with each version....two bodies cut in half and the legs from one is added to the torso of the other (different nationalities) and one of the detectives has Asperger's ....Interesting show...

I was watching this last night, The Light Between Oceans with Michael Fassbender, Alicia Vikander and Rachel Weisz. It’s kind of a romance, although it is a bit sad in the end, and it’s a very gentle film.

Arrival, with Amy Adams, Michael Renner and Forest Whitaker, directed by Denis Villeneuve. It’s a good, stylish sci-fi film based on aliens arriving, but it’s a bit different from the norm, surprisingly hopeful.

lobsterperson

Tonight I went back to an old favorite, the western Unforgiven, with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman and Richard Harris, directed by Clint Eastwood. An all time classic, with a deep human take on ‘good’ men and ‘bad’ men.

Walkerperson
  • LBArt23LBArt23 California New

@lobster said:
    I enjoyed this film ...

even though it is not out yet :3

This looks really good!!

edited April 2021

I noticed last night that the remastered version of Andrej Tarkovski’s Solaris was available for a small fee on iTunes. I couldn’t resist it, it was known for a long time as Russia’s answer to 2001: A Space Odyssey and I have never seen it. And it was recently recommended to me as a high-consciousness film. So I watched the first 45 mins, I enjoyed it.

Watched this last night, it was pretty good. 20th Century Women, with Annette Bening, Elle Fanning, directed by Mike Mills. It’s about a boy and his relationship with the three women who are trying to help raise him, anno 1979.

I was watching this last night, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, with Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Ian McKellen, directed by Peter Jackson. I 💗 Middle-Earth!

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2021

:) chaotic, intense, insightful, funny. Fun!

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran

Just watched Predetermination on Netflix

A case of intersexual dependent origination with a twist...all is one and one is all.....more paradoxes you can poke a stick at...
    I Me Myself

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I have been watching a documentary series
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can't_Get_You_Out_of_My_Head_(TV_series)

Great fun. It uses a scatter methodology used in Sufism for impact …