Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kagyu Samye Ling monastery, Scotland, caught in the middle of a firing range.

https://www.samyeling.org/news/threat-to-samye-lings-peace/?fbclid=IwAR2RS83zSFFzyImEdT6DVmJz-3UdTbuP9tKz4A3QM_9njHUDzP_BwHxhRgA

The beautiful monastery at Eskdalemuir is having its peace and quiet shattered by firing ranges which have begun operating nearby. On their website is a link to the local council planning department to oppose this move, should you so wish.

Comments

• ChoephalChoephal UK Veteran

Yikes! That’s awful. I have known Samye Ling since it’s foundation and it has always been the most tranquil place imaginable. It is situated in the Southern Uplands of Dumfriesshire about 5 miles from the nearest small town.
    Who would have thought that the world would have caught up with it...
    It’s like a demonstration of impermanence.

• The last time I was there ... as usual the RAF was using the main 'victory stupa’ as a pretend missile target and engaging in a simulated dive bomb attack. I was walking calmly away from the bombing run.

Best real practice of detachment I could wish for.
    OM MANI PEMI BHUM! 🛩

Either that was a more recent development or I have been lucky. The only time the outside world intruded was one occasion when a couple of chaps from the Forestry Commision dropped by to request that certain guests stop lighting camping stoves in the nearby woodland.

Tara1978
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The closing date for submitting an objection IS TODAY 18th March 2021/

Tara1978

I am not hopeful. The Scottish grouse shooting lobby are very powerful due to their connection with the Conservative establishment. Particularly in the House of Lords.

Tara1978
  • Tara1978Tara1978 UK Veteran

@Choephal I am not hopeful either, as you say they are powerful (and wealthy) forces.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I suppose we should be grateful it's here, and not America, though....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

America have bigger guns (and everything)... i suppose one should be grateful it is a firing range and not a bombing range...

• howhow Veteran Veteran

The sum total of human existence from the galactic travel guide.

TERRIAN TRAVEL ADVISERY NOTICE! Like some other hell realms, visiting is not recommended.

Human beings appear to be so fearful of their own mortality that they are constantly perfecting their skills in ending the lives of select groupings of their own species in the delusionary belief that this somehow extends or improves the lifespans of those remaining.

lobsterKotishka