Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • After months. finally have correct medication and treatment for the my wife's bed sores. finally healing. But it will take a few more weeks. She is talking now - wasn't for a while.
    got a dog for the granddaughter. Friendly, but chews up sandals, rags (used to be clothes, now rags) and the like. It's like childproofing all over again. O.o
    Got the Covid 19 shots last month.
    Just a quiet time at the old cave. =)B)
    Stay safe. Stay well
    Peace to all

lobsterShoshin1Bunks
  • Good news @Lionduck

Best wishes to your talk again wife ... thanks for kind wishes 🙏🏽💗🌈

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I always moved house too often to have a dog, so kind of grew up without pets, except for a brief period back when I was very young when we had two cats.

Thanks for your good wishes @lionduck and I wish you good fortune with the little rag chewer.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Lionduck , if you need support or guidance for the dog, PM me. Dog behaviourist extraordinaire... ;)

Bunks

Couldn't sleep again last night, so at 3:30am, I got up and...Pasta!

lobsterBunksShoshin1Kotishka
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Tagliatelle perchance?

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    Couldn't sleep again last night, so at 3:30am, I got up and...Pasta!

Wow @federica - looks great! I love home made pasta but hated having to clean up the mess afterwards =)

edited March 2021

@Kerome said:
    Tagliatelle perchance?

No, broader and of varying thicknesses... Papardelle...

ETA: Strictly speaking, Papardelle have crinkled edges, but I only had a pizza cutter... must get a proper crimper!

Haha! Well you guys whinge that we claim your stuff as our own (think Phar Lap, pavlova, Russell Crowe, Crowded House....) so it's time for us to give a little back.

I must admit it took me a while to get used to being able to walk around in long grass in NZ in summer without looking where each and every step landed :)

Shoshin1
  • Thanks @Kerome

What we need is a perfect sauce
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/hire-raspberry-pi-as-a-robot-sous-chef-in-your-kitchen/
    to go with the pasta from @federica

... Then a stealth drone to secretly deliver to Sangha or other deserving hungries.

Must admit for supper I just used readymade Tortellini with a hidden veg source and ready grated cheese. At least the parsley garnish was real ... :3

Yum, Yum, Yab-Yum.

Bunks

I usually eat my pasta cooked and then wokked with a packet of veg and garlicked shrimps...

Bunkslobster
  • When you are awakened to the smell of salmon (yes, it is usually served on a silver tray I found).

BunksShoshin1

I can imagine how delighted the motorists were to be confronted with this spectacle...!!

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited March 2021

I was on the home stretch down hill, after visiting a friend then having a cup of tea in the village...Cruising down the hill with mouth open and gulp I swallowed a bloody fly, coughed and spluttered all the way home ...
    Note to self "KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT" when riding bike...🤐

Bunks

That can happen when you’re going faster than usual... e bike madness...

BunksShoshin1
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

and here I was sure that you were a vegan.

BunksShoshin1
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2021

I have transitioned into using snowboarder helmets on my ebike because of the full face shields that are built into many of them. One single hornet in my eye at high speed cost me 3 broken ribs, a dislocated hip and a wide swath of road rash. A boarders helmet might be too warm an option in the middle of summer but it is a real temperature comfort for the rest of the year in addition to the tinted shield offering some added sun protection..

JeroenBunksShoshin1

Happy Equinox everyone!

federicaKotishkaShoshin1lobster

Oh an oldie but goldie!!

Bunks
  • I think I may be zenophobic:

• fear of raking sand
    • inability to sit still
    • extreme allergy to para-dixies

https://journeybacktothesource.com/are-you-zen-so-why-do-you-get-upset/

Exhausted with gay pleasures, I embrace my wife.
    The narrow path of asceticism is not for me:
    My mind runs in the opposite direction.
    It is easy to be glib about Zen – I’ll just keep my mouth shut
    And rely on love play all day long.

Ikkyu Sojun

Shoshin1Kotishka
  • ..I swallowed a spider to catch the fly.....
    I found this little fellow on the carpet floor right by my bed

It's a white tailed spider another bloody Aussie import ...

BunksKotishka

Yeah... one reason I’ll never be totally comfortable in Australia, too many venomous spiders.

@Shoshin1 said:
    ..I swallowed a spider to catch the fly.....
    I found this little fellow on the carpet floor right by my bed
    It's a white tailed spider another bloody Aussie import ...

:) You're welcome

lobsterShoshin1
  • A warm sunny Autumn's day ..Cooler days are on the way....

Bunkslobster

@Shoshin1

A warm sunny Autumn's day ..Cooler days are on the way....

Lovely! Is that Great Barrier Island in the distance?

• @Bunks said:

No @Bunks it's the Coromandel Many visitors to the island think it's Gt Barrier, but Gt Barrier is further out to the left, little Barrier is in front of Gt Barrier both are out of sight....

Bunks

@Shoshin1 said:

@Bunks said:

No @Bunks it's the Coromandel Many visitors to the island think it's Gt Barrier, but Gt Barrier is further out to the left, little Barrier is in front of Gt Barrier both are out of sight....

You could catch a ferry from Waiheke to the Coromandel from memory? Is that still the case?

Shoshin1
  • Yes from Orapiu (where your exes uncle lived)...
    I took this photo this morning on my jolk...Sunrise over Oneroa Bay...

I couldn't download it from my old phone camera so I had to take a photo of the photo with my new phone camera...It's not as clear as the original...

Bunks

I don’t know if anyone here still uses Facebook intensively but the things I have been reading about their engagement algorithms pushing people towards extreme views, and this being measurable over time by facebooks internal tools, really make me wonder whether they are a bunch of crooks who don’t care about doing the right thing.

Tara1978
  • wonder whether they are a bunch of crooks

Know that they are:

• a private data collection agency
    • profit uber alles
    • manipulating (lobbying) to not pay taxes
    • bringing in 'pay to be elected' political crooks/regimes

The same can be said for Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger (all owned by Facebook)
    https://makeawebsitehub.com/facebook-alternatives/

Tara1978

@Kerome said:
    I don’t know if anyone here still uses Facebook intensively but the things I have been reading about their engagement algorithms pushing people towards extreme views, and this being measurable over time by facebooks internal tools, really make me wonder whether they are a bunch of crooks who don’t care about doing the right thing.

Ya think?! No surely not!

@federica said:
    Ya think?! No surely not!

Many businesses are run by people focused mostly on profit, but they stay within the law. Then there are a few who exceed the bounds of where the law is or should be. People who exceed ethical limits in their pursuit of profit, and I think Facebook have become one of those.

When you know your engagement algorithms are pushing people towards more extreme views, and then not to do anything about it, is beyond what I consider ethical, and goes into culpable skullduggery.

howShoshin1Tara1978

I have been banned for 25 days for calling someone a brainless idiot. The fact that he was effing and jeffing everywhere, using single letters and sounding ignorant ("U r f***Ing moron, u don no nuthin dipshit" type of stuff) and is still posting on line.... Ok, right....

Gotta ;love those algorithms!

lobsterBunksTara1978
  • @federica it is important to understand how social media computer programming interacts with humanity.

The bottom line is addiction. They must get people repeat using. By banning BUT if still using, we may be dependent.

I go to government sites and and they expect me to be using Twitter, Facebook or Instagram for them to contact me. Que?

Two recent data collection sites (aka social media) I tried for a while were TikTok (or CrackCrock as I think it should be called - very addictive) and Reddit (which has recently changed, did not really stay long enough to evaluate, will keep account for now)

AAAND another thing. I received a text from my bank informing me that a payment - attempted on 2 cards of my accounts - had failed. I didn't recognise the payments. I got into the chat room with my bank, Turns out Amazon was trying every which way to exact payment for a Prime account... The bank attempting to take the payment is in LUXEMBOURG. Where taxes are minimal. Shafting tax-avoiding bunch of B.......

Tara1978lobsterBunks
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited March 2021

Earthing....

Ah that's better, I feel more grounded..
    One might ask.....What on earth is earthing ???

Touching base with Mother Earth (recharging the batteries...so to speak :) )

lobsterBunks

Are those your pants @shoshin1? Very colourful I must say

• @Kerome said:
    Are those your pants @shoshin1? Very colourful I must say

Yes, my new favourite lightweight colour my world summer pants...

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Good news, good news! Our local library will open again on April 7 after being closed for more than a year in honor of Corona virus.

lobsterBunks

It's that time of year again!!

Robert Browning - Home Thoughts From Abroad.

Oh, to be in England
    Now that April's there,
    And whoever wakes in England
    Sees, some morning, unaware,
    That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf
    Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,
    While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
    In England—now!

And after April, when May follows,
    And the whitethroat builds, and all the swallows!
    Hark, where my blossomed pear-tree in the hedge
    Leans to the field and scatters on the clover
    Blossoms and dewdrops—at the bent spray's edge—
    That's the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over,
    Lest you should think he never could recapture
    The first fine careless rapture!
    And though the fields look rough with hoary dew,
    All will be gay when noontide wakes anew
    The buttercups, the little children's dower
    —Far brighter than this gaudy melon-flower!

Bunkslobster
  • Did a bit of earthing on the beach (hmm or should that be sanding) anyhow it was beautiful warm and sunny Autumn's day lots of boats were in the bay (Easter weekend) and the local eccentric inventor ( he is also the guy who puts out and maintains all the chairs and table along the beach ) rode past on his homemade electric bike...he was inspecting the chairs and tables ...

Later in the afternoon I was snacking on baby carrots and was shocked to find part of a finger in the packet....well it looked like a finger....

federicaBunks

When I get older losing my hair
    Many years from now,
    Will you still be sending me a Valentine
    Birthday greetings bottle of wine?
    If I'd been out till quarter to three
    Would you lock the door
    Will you still need me, will you still feed me
    When I'm sixty-four

You'll be older too
    And if you say the word
    I could stay with you...

I could be handy, mending a fuse
    When your lights have gone
    You can knit a sweater by the fireside
    Sunday mornings go for a ride
    Doing the garden, digging the weeds
    Who could ask for more
    When I'm sixty-four!

Every summer we can rent a cottage
    In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear
    We shall scrimp and save
    Grandchildren on your knee
    Vera, Chuck and Dave...

Send me a postcard, drop me a line
    Stating point of view
    Indicate precisely what you mean to say,
    "Yours sincerely, wasting away!"
    Give me your answer, fill in a form
    Mine for evermore
    When I'm sixty-four!

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Hmmm. 64? oh shit! A poem suggesting that I'm 3 years past my "best before" date.

Kotishka

I'm just about to hit the 'Use By' milestone!

BunksShoshin1
  • Well it's Easter Sunday and I hadn't been for a skinny dip in a while so I headed to the beach after the early morning jolk...(it's clocks back so not so early)...Anyhow I was surprised at how warm the water was, the weather's quite cool first thing of morning, but warms up during the day...

I didn't stay long as lots of people were starting to arrive (mainly tourists here for the long weekend0...
    Walking back up I spotted something in the water, it seemed to be spinning around making circles in the water...It turned out to be a swimmer off one of the boats off shore..

Crazy...over the last couple of months there's been quite a few reports of sharks around the island...and this person's way out in the deep blue sea...shark bait...

I must admit at first I thought a shark was attacking the person, he/she seemed to be in one spot splashing around going under, then popping up again, before heading to the boat...