Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Conundrum of sorts

Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
edited April 2021 in General Banter

Well folks, I have a old book (published in 1806) "Wonders of the microscope"

when my step father died (back in the early 1990s) it was amongst some old papers in a suitcase...
Anyhow there is an inscription in the book ...

The giver of the book is a "Caroline Frances Hyde",(that's clear enough) however I'm having difficulty trying to decipher the other name...

The first part of the name looks like "Lauretia" the middle name looks like "Chriheliana" and the last name looks like Florida...However my son pointed out that the "F" in Frances is different from the first letter in the last name...So it could be a "P"...

So can any one here work out what the receiver of the book's name is ?

The one who solves it will be rewarded with merits... I just need your merit account details.... ;);)

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2021

Lucretia? I can't distinguish the letters in the second and third names. I wonder what sort of book? Microscope implies a science book?

Shoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited April 2021

Lucretia

Thanks @Jeffrey that's a possibility ....

Yes science with a touch of religion to it, it's a book which was published with school children in mind to learn about the natural world, along with the science, it often mentions the creator's involvement ... there are a few illustrations in the book, a mite, fly and flea

Jeffrey
  • A possible clue to the looped lettering involved

The music is quite catchy

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2021

@Shoshin1 said:
    Well folks, I have a old book (published in 1806) "Wonders of the microscope"

when my step father died (back in the early 1990s) it was amongst some old papers in a suitcase...
    Anyhow there is an inscription in the book ...

The giver of the book is a "Caroline Frances Hyde",(that's clear enough) however I'm having difficulty trying to decipher the other name...

The first part of the name looks like "Lauretia" the middle name looks like "Chriheliana" and the last name looks like Florida...However my son pointed out that the "F" in Frances is different from the first letter in the last name...So it could be a "P"...

So can any one here work out what the receiver of the book's name is ?

The one who solves it will be rewarded with merits... I just need your merit account details.... ;);)

Lucretia Chisholiam Flouda.

It is an F. I think the pens might be different... she began thick, but perhaps thought the ink too thick...The F's do look different, but if you follow the line of the lower F (in Frances) You'll see the flourish in Lucretia's surname follows the same line. It's just that the right-hand loop is broken, in the top F....
    Notice that the 'y's are different too..

https://forebears.io/surnames/flouda

I sent you my merit details in the post, the last time. God, don't say you've lost them already?! You owe me big time!

Shoshin1person
  • Thanks @federica ....;)

Well I found information on the net a while back regarding Caroline Frances Hyde and her husband Robert Walpole ...But zilch when it comes to the other name... So far in my search there is no girl's name resembling "Chriheliana" or "Chisholiam"....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2021

Bear in mind that spelling and pronunciation of names can change. Take Fortesque, pronounced Fanshaw, or Cholmondley, pronounced Chumley... It's possible her name is merely Chisholm. Pronounced Chissum...

Samuel Chisholm - Historical records and family trees - MyHeritagehttps://www.myheritage.com › samuel-chisholm
    Explore historical records and family tree profiles about Samuel Chisholm on MyHeritage, the ... Janet was born on August 27 1802, in Woolwick, Kent, England. ... Samuel had 2 sisters: Lucretia E Umbel (born Chisholm) and one other sibling.

I also looked for Lucretia Chisholm and there are several who might fit the bill...
    Caroline Frances Hyde was born in 1785, so she would have been in her 20's in 1806... we can assume that Lucretia Chisholm might have been a friend of a similar age...

Caroline married Walpole in 1811, when she was 26... quite old by the standards of those days, to be married... she died in 1840, when she was just 55, having had 4 children.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I think @federica take is pretty good.

The middle name looks like Chishelians to me. And the last Flo__da, the more difficult middle letters doesn't look like an i as there is no dot above like the other names all have.

Shoshin1
  • Thanks folks...