Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist quotes

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I will give you everything that you are, and take away everything that you are not.

— Gautama the Buddha

(I know there are a lot of fake Buddha quotes on the internet, but this one kind of resonated with me, so I thought I would take the risk of putting it here).

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Expectations are at the heart of all disappointments in life
    Mike DeMeo - Facebook

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existence is defined in terms of control.”

― Terence McKenna

Bunks

“Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behaviour and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong.”

― Terence McKenna

BunksKotishka

“The cost of sanity in this society, is a certain level of alienation”

― Terence Mckenna

Bunks

Watch your thoughts (vaci saṅkhāra) – they become words (stronger vaci saṅkhāra.)
    Watch your words – they become actions (kāya saṅkhāra.)
    Watch your actions – they become habits (gati.)
    Watch your habits – they become your character (stronger gati.)
    Watch your character – it becomes your destiny (future births.)

— Unknown (seen at Puredhamma.net)

lobster

“We have been to the moon, we have charted the depths of the ocean and the heart of the atom, but we have a fear of looking inward to ourselves because we sense that is where all the contradictions flow together.”

― Terence McKenna

Just by tasting a tiny drop of the Buddha-dharma is enough to lift ones spirits
    Anon

• "The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds can change the outer aspects of their lives"

~William James~ (honorary Buddhist =) )

lobsterDhammika
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited January 2021

I was taught a five-syllable version of this, but Venerable Amoghavajra in his commentary on the Prajñāpāramitā transmits a four-syllable version.

I learned a ā aṁ āḥ aṁḥ (pronounced "a, aa, an, aku, anku") from Venerable Innen at a Tendai saṁgha in Perth, Ontario. Venerable Amoghavajra transmits the four syllables a ā aṁ āḥ.

惡引 [āḥ]

The syllable of āḥ is the heart of the mantra, comprised in all of four syllables with this one substance.

1. 阿 [a]

The syllable of a has the gnostic heart [bodhicitta] as its meaning, for like it, this syllable is the precedent of all these syllables, like how, in the Dharma of the Great Vehicle, the drive towards utmost complete gnosis has the gnostic heart as its precedent.

2. 阿引 [ā]

The syllable of ā has action as its meaning, here the Four Wisdom Seals. Gathering limitless merit and wisdom, the true purpose of highest awakening is attained. This one is of limitless length and high in tone.

3. 暗 [aṁ]

Attaining the dhāraṇī-gateway of the samādhi of mokṣa itself, that samādhi of boundless wisdom, the four demons of affliction themselves receive of the abhiṣeka of the Dharmarāja of the Three Realms [Vairocana Tathāgata] and of all Tathāgatas and themselves turn the wheel of the Saddharma.

4. 惡引 [āḥ]

Āḥ is nirvāṇa. Through eliminating the two kinds of hindrance, that is to say the hindrances of the passions, one attains the fourfold perfect tranquillity (of the four syllables of this mantra). The first perfect tranquility is the pacified self-nature. The second is nirvāṇa with life residue. The third is nirvāṇa without life-residue. The fourth is nirvāṇa itself as "no abode." The first three are the common man, the śrāvakabuddha, and the pratyekabuddha. The fourth alone is the Buddha, and the Buddha alone, the vehicle with neither identity nor difference. The four syllables, when realized, are mokṣa fourfold, holy wisdom, of the very self-awakening of Vairocana Buddha whom the myriad bodhisattvas and wheel-turner kings are but a manifestation of.

(大樂金剛不空真實三昧耶經般若波羅蜜多理趣釋 T1003.610c06)

Avoid all evil
    Do only good
    Purify the mind
    This is the teaching of all the Buddhas

lobsterShoshin1JeffreyDhammika
  • This one sounded "Buddhist" to me:

"Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose.
    From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: that man is here for the sake of other men —above all for those upon whose smile and well-being our own happiness depends, and also for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy."

Albert Einstein

lobsterBunksShoshin1

Time Dimension and Space
    Are Simply Illusions
    Don't mistake
    What's unreal
    As real
    Life is a game
    A performance
    A show
    We are simply here
    To play our roles
    Don't mistake
    The show as real
    Don't be attached
    To our roles here
    Too much
    All is temporary
    Transient and fleeting
    When the show
    Is over
    We are back
    To where we belong
    The Pure Land of
    Amitabha Awaits
    He's been waiting
    For us for ten kalpas
    Time to come home
    After this short journey
    Called life
    You've done well
    Time to remember
    Your true identity
    Your true nature
    You are in fact
    Timeless
    Infinite Light & Life
    As old as the Universe
    No beginning no end
    Neither born nor die
    You've been here
    ALWAYS
    Starseeds
    Children of the Buddhas
    Time to come home
    Our Compassionate Father
    Amitabha Buddha awaits

🙏 Namo Amitabha Buddha 🙏
    🙏 Namo Amituofo 🙏

• Jiawen
    Shoshin1lobster
  • Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change

~Brené Brown~ (Honorary Buddhist quote )

Jeffrey
  • “Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken. Awaken! Take heed, do not squander your life.”

Dōgen

lobsterBunksShoshin1Dhammika

"The path of awakening is not about becoming who you are. Rather it is about unbecoming who you are not."

— Albert Schweitzer

lobsterDhammika

“Calmness of mind does not mean you should stop your activity. Real calmness should be found in activity itself. We say, "It is easy to have calmness in inactivity, it is hard to have calmness in activity, but calmness in activity is true calmness.” “

― Shunryu Suzuki

Jeffrey

“We should not attach to some fancy ideas or to some beautiful things. We should not seek for something good. The truth is always near at hand, within your reach.”

― Shunryu Suzuki

Dhammika

“Whether you have a problem in your life or not depends upon your own attitude, your own understanding.”

― Shunryu Suzuki

Dhammika

“A mind full of preconceived ideas, subjective intentions, or habits is not open to things as they are.”

― Shunryu Suzuki

Dhammika
  • “It will take quite a long time before you find your calm, serene mind in your practice. Many sensations come, many thoughts or images arise, but they are just waves of your own mind.”

~ Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

JeroenJeffreyShoshin1Kotishka

Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths.
    It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it.
    Once we truly know that life is difficult - once we truly understand and accept it - then life is no longer difficult.
    Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.

M Scott Peck

Shoshin1lobster
  • I accept it @Bunks
    but I don't like difficulties
    that is why I make things easy:

• eat healthy AND tasty food AND well within my budgie budget (not much meat on budgies)
    • do yoga like it is tai chi and tai chi like it is yoga
    • trust the devil/mara (to lie)
    • support the 3M's - Mirth, Music and Masks

... and now back to the quotes

https://tenor.com/view/marilyn-monroe-happy-laughing-icant-believe-he-just-said-that-gif-14360032

DhammikaBunks
  • “So, don’t be in a hurry and try to push or rush your practice. Do your meditation gently and gradually, step-by-step. In regard to peacefulness, if you become peaceful, then accept it; if you don’t become peaceful, then accept that also. That’s the nature of the mind. We must find our own practice and persistently keep at it.”

~ Ajahn Chah (from the book “Bodhinyana”)

JeffreyBunkslobsterKotishka
  • One day Ajahn Chah held up a beautiful Chinese tea cup:

"To me this cup is already broken. Because I know its fate, I can enjoy it fully here and now. And when it's gone, it's gone." When we understand the truth of uncertainty and relax, we become free. The broken cup helps us see beyond our illusion of control.

~ From "The Wisdom of Uncertainty" by Jack Kornfield
    https://www.awakin.org/read/view.php?tid=2448

Shoshin1BunkslobsterKotishka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

There's Mind-full and Mindful.
    Makes one 'L' of a difference.

(My own. And I'm proud of it if only for the fact that a good friend and Member gave it the thumbs up through snorting his coffee.)

JeroenBunksDavid
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

There is no birth and no death, no coming, no going. We only think there is.

Thich Nhat Hanh

BunksJeroen
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

“Ignorance can be compared to a dark room in which you sleep. No matter how long the room has been dark, an hour or a million years, the moment the lamp of awareness is lit the entire room becomes luminous. You are that luminosity. You are that clear light.”

~Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

BunksShoshin1Kotishka

To a bee, a flower is a fountain of life;
    To a flower, a bee is a messenger of love.

— Khalil Gibran

KotishkaBunksDavid

There is no One, just the All.

• anonymous
    Bunks
  • I fetch fuel and draw water...Oh how phenomenal

~A Zen moment~

Bunkslobster
  • BunksShoshin1

Why do you think that you are active? Take the example of your arrival here. You left home in a cart, took a train, alighted at the railway station here, got into a cart there and found yourself in this Ashram. When asked, you say you travelled all the way here from your town. Is it true? Is it not a fact that you remained as you were and there was movement… all along the way? Just as those motions are confounded with your own, so also are all other activities. They are not your own.
    — Ramana Maharshi

A sudden perception that subject and object are one will lead to a deeply mysterious wordless understanding—you will waken to the truth of Zen.
    — Huang-po

lobsterShoshin1David

It is as if, in the middle of one's being, there were a non-being. The Confucians call it the centre of emptiness; The Buddhists, the terrace of life; the Taoists, the ancestral land, or the yellow castle, or the dark pass, or the space of former heaven.
    — The Secret of the Golden Flower

Seeing into one's self-nature is seeing into nothingness. Seeing into nothingness is true seeing and eternal seeing.
    — Shen-hui

Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand the nature of reality.
    — Terence McKenna

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran

Hmm which reminds me...
    Darwinian man though well behaved, at best is only a monkey shaved!

BunksJeroenKotishka

Not to know is profound; to know is shallow. Not to know is internal; to know is external.
    — Chuang-tzu

“Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.”
    — Ajahn Chah

lobsterKotishka

“Don’t be attached to visions or lights in meditation, don’t rise or fall with them. What’s so great about brightness? My flashlight has it. It can’t help us rid ourselves of our suffering.”
    — Ajahn Chah

“Only one book is worth reading: the heart.”
    — Ajahn Chah

lobsterKotishkaTozan
  • TozanTozan Turkey Explorer

" The more you want enlightenment, the further away it will be."
    — Seung Sahn

lobster
  • TozanTozan Turkey Explorer

The Great Way is not difficult
    for those who do not discriminate.
    Throw away likes and dislikes
    and everything will become clear.

— Hsin Hsin Ming

lobsterShoshin1Bunks

This really struck a chord with me.....

_Jodo Shinshu is not a path for saints, but for losers,
    for those who cannot attain by themselves anything stable in the spiritual life.

Josho Adrian Cirlea_

Shoshin1lobster

“The reason for the Buddha's appearance in the world is, above all, to expound the Primal Vow of Amida, wide and deep as the ocean. All beings in the evil age of the five defilements should believe in the truth of the Buddha's words.”

Shinran

David
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Bunks said:
    This really struck a chord with me.....

Jodo Shinshu is not a path for saints, but for losers,

Ah ha! May be ideal … Have Shin, will follow …
    https://bffct.org/bff/resources/shin-buddhism-in-a-nutshell/

Namu Amida Butsu

Bunks

“It is not commonly known that a dimension of raging orgiasmic beauty is just around the corner. It requires not spiritual discipline, but rather courage. Not something that is talked about much in the ashram or the zendo.”

Terence McKenna