Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is your opinion of Pema Chodron?

I love her books with lots of in-your-face advice. Of course her mentor is most certainly a talking point.

Nonetheless, I find her teachings upfront and practical. What do fellow newbuddhists think of her?

TIA.

David

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I’ve always liked her, ever since I came across the title of her famous book, When things fall apart: heart advice for difficult times. She seems really grounded.

• ChoephalChoephal UK Veteran
    edited April 2021

I can tell you one thing about her. She’s one tough cookie.
    Forget any idea you have about her being a chuckling Buddhist granny. I knew her as Deirdre when she was a student of Chime Rinpoche..as was David Bowie. This was before she was a student of Trungpa Rinpoche.
    Rub Deirdre up the wrong way and she will (metaphorically) bite yer legs! 😆
    She is a very gifted communicator of Buddhadharma.

FoibleFullShoshin1Davidriverpoet
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Before I retired, I spent half of my day on mindless data entry. Listened to Pema Chodron talks on my mp3 player. Over and over. She deepened my understanding of HOW to practice Buddhism while going through my daily life, and using those approaches has opened up a lot of insight that has changed how I reside in the moment. I am a better Buddhist for her teachings, even though she is not my actual teacher.

Ren_in_blackShoshin1Choephal
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I would have loved to see her as the new head of Shambhala Buddhism after the dust settled.

I really get a lot out of her books and the few Dharma talks I've caught online.

Kotishka
  • LostieLostie Veteran

Thanks fellow newbuddhists for your comments. I believe Grandma Pema’s writings do bring more to know about Buddhist teachings. No if no buts, just face it as it is. B)