Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited April 2021

Hasta la Vista babies! I’ll be back. Or at least that’s what that image is saying to me.

Shoshin1
  • Hey NB! Please, the Moon is looking beautiful. I was thinking on doing a Full Moon sit... Don't I will go so far, but has anyone got any experience with full night sittings?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said:
    Nice to see our tax dollars being put to good use..... O.o

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-16/st-basils-greek-church-taxpayer-funding/100068128

Power corrupts. Absolute Power. corrupts absolutely. Seems the good old RC Church is not the only one with plenty of dirty linen in the closet...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@コチシカ said:

Trying to figure out the name of the "good monk" briefly interviewed by the end of the video. Had roasted potatoes with spicy sauce for dinner and I can't sleep.

Galan ni Sayata.

Kotishka
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@コチシカ said:
    Had roasted potatoes with spicy sauce for dinner and I can't sleep.

Now that’s a recipe for disaster... I know in Spain they often eat potatoes that way but I’m not a fan.

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited April 2021

Another beautiful rainbow this morning...

after I arrived home it bucketed down....

lobsterKotishkaBunksFosdick
  • Moons and Rainbows. And sleepless time. Good tip about spicy tats to keep awake. Tea and coffee for those wishing to practice at night …

Here are some more tips
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asceticism

• @Kerome

This famous recipe is known as "papas arrugadas con mojo" and it is common here (Canary Islands). It is delicious, but not for dinner. I usually have porridge or no dinner at all. The contrast was...interesting. Up, down the hatch, and down the fire hole!!!

BunksJeroenShoshin1

It’s a public holiday in the Netherlands, for the king’s birthday. Everyone gets the day off work, there is a free market in which everyone is welcome to come and sell their things, there’s traditional cakes and beer, and people are encouraged to wear a bit of orange in their clothing. All quite cheerful, even under the coronavirus rules.

Shoshin1Bunkslobster
  • Orange masks? :mask-emoji:

• It was a pink supermoon last night...and this was the moon during this morning's meditation...

BunksKotishkalobster
  • Ah! Blessed view! Mine today too, celebrated it with a puja. I think Lobster would've liked it. It was an eclectic mix.

Happy Spring to everyone. !

BunkslobsterShoshin1
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@コチシカ said:
    Ah! Blessed view! Mine today too, celebrated it with a puja. I think Lobster would've liked it. It was an eclectic mix.

And Autumn 😊

KotishkaShoshin1
  • It was a beautiful sunrise and high tide ...I was mindful of my steps as I made my way along the beach....
    Now I'm off to work...filling in for the manager, she's on a week's leave....

WalkerBunkslobster
  • Ah! Blessed view! Mine today too, celebrated it with a puja. I think Lobster would've liked it. It was an eclectic mix.

Oh moon
    I have stretched into spring
    namaste reflecting son of Sun

Prayer is gratitude and vice reversa

Kotishka

• Shoshin1lobsterBunks

I think we got a timely reminder that computing should be fun...

lobster

Confucius say:

Man who opens wasabi sachet with teeth gets mouthful of pain O.o

lobsterShoshin1

It was a chilly Autumn morning, and by the time I had reached the beach, the sun's warm rays had replaced the chill...

It's now a sunny warm Autumn day......no doubt more chilly mornings to come...

WalkerBunkslobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@コチシカ is that Bodhi Minnie Mouse on your alter/altar?

Kotishka
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited May 2021

It is an elk. Why is he in the altar? Perhaps an alter ego.... Also next to it there's an owl figure I made when I was 4. Haha!

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@ コチシカ The altar is very much an expression/representation of self/Higher Self/Flowering Bodhi.

So I often use a computer as a shrine or on a shrine. It is a binary thing … one day 1, one day 0 …

Kotishka

Found this magnet on the fridge the other day. I got it at Alcatraz about 15 years ago. Never really read it before but I realised it’s exactly what’s promised to a monastic when they ordain.

I always remember Ajahn Brahm telling the story about visiting prison to talk to the inmates. When he told them about his lifestyle (e.g. sleeping a few hours a night on the floor, eating nothing but rice in Thailand) he said they were all feeling sorry for him haha

JeroenShoshin1WalkerKotishka

When baking a cake involving flour, eggs and butter, it is a good idea to melt the butter before making the cake dough. That is all.

BunksKotishka

Or use purpose-made cooking/baking butter.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

JeroenKotishka

@federica said:
    Or use purpose-made cooking/baking butter.

But not, under any circumstances, to use spreadable butter as a substitute for real butter, because the spreadables are approx 20% oil, so that when they melt you are left with gloop which will not bake. Good tip from my mom, who ruined a nice cake that way.

federica

Last weekend I happened to look out my bedroom window and spotted a falcon gracefully cruising over the vineyard looking for lunch...At first it was quite close to my window (circling around to the large tree on the left), but by the time I got the phone it had moved away....

And this afternoon I stopped at Blackpool to read my book, it's been an Aotearoan day, the clouds covered the mainland in the distance....

...the seagull didn't seem to mind...

lobsterFosdickBunks
    edited May 2021

Autumn colours...

When the Pixie sitting on the toadstool saw me it sprinkled some magic pixie dust and disappeared... Or was it just my imagination.....

At the beginning of the jolk I came across this one, it was whole when I first saw it, but on my return something had eaten part of it...

Bunks
    edited May 2021

Sadly I came across a dead seabird (looks like a great egret) which had been wash up...there seemed to be something attached to its body a chewed or pecked at piece of polyurethane attached to a strip of thin plastic ...Could have been part of a fishing net...or other junk thrown into the ocean...

And at the far end of the beach on my homeward journey, the mind decided to play a trick on me, by changing a partly submerged tree branch in the water into a three metre long crocodile, making its way to shore...

I was on the menu for its breakfast.... 😱😬

BTW there are no crocodiles in Aotearoa...only in my mind....

BunksKotishka
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

having trouble typing - dog in play mode - oh well.

Recently my wifi has been playing up, and I’m having to connect my iPad to my phone’s hotspot mode in order to get a reliable connection. Technology sucks.

The tree branch (my imaginary croc)

It was bitter cold this morning 12C..Okay not bitter cold but bloody cold, the coldest its been so far this Autumn....However the day was nice, turned out to be warm and sunny....But it will be a cold one tonight...It's 4pm and starting to get cool....

WalkerBunks

Discovered vermin — little insects — in my kitchen making merry on the counter when I came down for a 2 am cup of Clipper snooze tea. I was very unbuddhist in demolishing them.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2021

Finally did a number of soil tests on my raised garden boxes after bringing in 4 cubic yards of commercial grade garden soil and watching my transplants stay in snooze mode for the last month. Not even a single weed showed up.
    Turns out that this soil, while being perfectly ph/phosphorus & potash balanced, has no measurable levels of nitrogen present.
    It looks as though when a company mixes in sawdust that is too green to its soil, it can denude that soil of available nitrogen as it composts.
    Who Knew....well I guess they should have known.

BunksJeroen

@Kerome said:
    Discovered vermin — little insects — in my kitchen making merry on the counter when I came down for a 2 am cup of Clipper snooze tea. I was very unbuddhist in demolishing them.

kakkerlak ?

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I've finally managed to get most of the sopping wet and highly odoriferous carpeting stripped out of the basement. Everything stinks, and anything that goes down a drain in the rest of the house ends up on the basement floor. Cockroaches would love it, but - what a pity - we don't have any. Back is killing me. Excellent opportunity to intensify my practice in the, arguably futile, quest for equanimity.

lobsterJeroenShoshin1

@Shoshin1 said:

@Kerome said:

kakkerlak ?

No, little silverfish… that corner of the counter is where the biscuit tin and the bread bin stand, and sometimes crumbs fall there. I think that’s what they were after.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Ah ha @Fosdick

One of the hell realms is in your basement. <3
    I will be sending some metta from the Purelanders, who have it far too easy. o:)

Have you considered moving your incense, shrine, mushroom growing to this hallowed practice area? B)

Jeroen

Amituofo @lobster 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️❤️❤️

That old tree branch close up...

not so scary now are you...

Well the island is experiencing Autumn's whacky weather patterns...The day before yesterday the morning was quite chilly (the coldest morning so far), yesterday morning it was quite warm (like a summer's morning...the day's temperature reached low 20s ) and this morning it was quite chilly again, however it's hot and sunny now....

Bunks
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

@lobster - that image was surprisingly helpful. Now, upon inhaling the miasma, I see glowing Buddhas. Incense is a fine idea. Samsara is Nirvana. But I'm not going to move my altar.

Jeroenlobster

@lobster said:
    mushroom growing

You know you have been listening to too much Terence McKenna when on the mention of mushroom growing you immediately think of Psilocybe Cubensis.

This morning sun's rays breaking through on either side of the cloud...

Drop in temperature this morning and rainy too...

lobsterBunksFosdick

Beautiful skies, @shoshin1.

surprsingly warm on my walk today. The forecast thundery showers failed to materialise, but the sky gave a dazzling display of expressive cloud formations that, had they been in a painting, would have been greeted by disbelief and derision...
    The dog opted for a swim in the filthiest part of the river he could find. I think he just did it as an excuse for a warm bath once home, which he loves. Clean, pooped out pooch...

Bunks

Shoshin1lobsterBunksFosdick

Drove to Palm beach lookout and started to read Zen Mind Beginner's Mind...again (no pun intended ;);) 🙂 then stopped on my way home to admire the tranquil view of Oneroa bay...
    It's been a beautiful Autumn's day where the weather can't make up its mind..._shall I thunder clouds or shall I blue sunny skies....

Tuis on the branches above my head singing love songs to each other...

lobster

@Shoshin1 - is Oneroa Bay on the Island?