Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

East Asian Buddhism

The fact is that one person who considered himself a Buddhist told me that Buddhists living in China, Japan, South Korea and Singapore are solipsists who do not believe that other people have consciousness, feelings, emotions and sensations. But I do not believe it. It scared me. So I want to ask you:

Do modern Buddhists living in China, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore(more than 400 million people) believe that all the people they see, all the people they talk to have thoughts, consciousness, feelings, sensations and feel emotions?

All the main modern schools of Buddhism in China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and Vietnam believe and teach that all people in our world, all the people we see, all the people we talk to have thoughts, consciousness, memories, sensations, feelings and emotions?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Interesting question.

There are very few members on here from East Asia so you might not get a straight answer.

But I can pretty confidently confirm "All the main modern schools of Buddhism in China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and Vietnam believe and teach that all people in our world, all the people we see, all the people we talk to have thoughts, consciousness, memories, sensations, feelings and emotions".

Johnny54Jeroen
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran

"This" may help ....It's an old thread on Solipsism vs Buddhism;;;

• Johnny54Johnny54 London New

@Shoshin1 said:
    "This" may help ....It's an old thread on Solipsism vs Buddhism;;;

Thank you. I read this, but did not understand. I need to know: When Buddhists see people, do they believe that these people have thoughts, consciousness, feelings, emotions, sensations?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I certainly do believe that other people have an independent existence, thoughts, feelings and so on. The evidence is too strong to believe otherwise.

I have not yet come across a modern Buddhist school which preaches solipsism.

• Johnny54Johnny54 London New
    edited May 2021

@Kerome said:
    I certainly do believe that other people have an independent existence, thoughts, feelings and so on. The evidence is too strong to believe otherwise.

I have not yet come across a modern Buddhist school which preaches solipsism.

Thank you!
    That is, you say:
    All main modern schools of Buddhism in China(Chan, Pure Land), Japan(Zen, Pure Land), South Korea(Seon, Pure Land), Singapore and Vietnam believe and teach that all people in our world, all the people we see, all the people we talk to have thoughts, consciousness, memories, sensations, feelings and emotions?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes.

Bunks
This discussion has been closed.