Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Moral laws ie blue laws legal or illegal

What say you. We’re secular but morals are important but selective discrimination ie LGBT are illegal. I am tired of them because they effect me. But I believe in morals.

Comments

• paskapaska Explorer

As my practice I view morals as needed but

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

What are blue laws? Sorry, I’m lost...

• paskapaska Explorer

Like Christian laws against LGBT it’s hard to love when you a LGBT person is discrimination

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Christians have laws?

Can I ask which country you live in @paska ?

• paskapaska Explorer

Usa

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I guess you mean state laws? I understand some of the US states have some odd laws.

• paskapaska Explorer

I am sorry this is supposed to be about Buddhism. I talking about religous based laws clocked science. Such as the transsexual sports ban. Or trans woman in men’s prisons.

Or even better the heart beat law for abortion ie abortion gives women their rights. I am not saying abortion is right or should be performed except to save a life and rape. But a child born in extreme poverty and parents can’t afford the baby. Hmm. I am not pro life mind you but opened minded to some degree. These people the hypocrites whine about morals being done and are the ones who commit a lot ill morals. I am tired of such laws. Why should a Buddhist follow Christian law in a secular nation. I am all for morals mind you but can we calm down about morals in government these days . This effects my compassion which effects a practice. How can a angry person be buddhist practioner let alone a teacher.

• paskapaska Explorer

I guess I will see these laws as buddha teachings and my karma but it still is crappy .I will move on and suffer like some great tibetan saints did and became enlightened. I won’t bring up politics again outside Buddhism

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited May 2021

Oh I dunno @paska everything has a time and a place. If you want to talk politics maybe some of our American members would like to respond.

I find that in politics I usually side with the Greens, who have a young, eco-minded attitude which cares about things like inequality. Over here they have about 10% of the vote, but usually they aren’t part of the governing coalition because their goals are quite different and not so much about the economy.

The political coalition governing the country has in recent years been led by the centre-right VVD, which is a fiscally-responsible capitalist-materialist party with mostly pragmatic ideas, and they kind of set the tone. I’m more of an idealist myself.

That being said, this thread would probably have been better off under the category General Banter, rather than Buddhism Basics.

paska
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That being said, this thread would probably have been better off under the category General Banter, rather than Buddhism Basics.

Moved.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@paska are you viewing to have a discussion on laws in the USA or are you just having a moan? Because every post you have created so far seems to be a complaint...

For the record, nobody here cares whether you're gay, straight, transgender, transvestite, pink, blue, black, turquoise or ginger.
    You're safe here.

You inhabit a particular body, at a particular time, in a particular country.
    There is no better place than where you are and there is no better time than now.

Because the only instant you can affect, is here and now.

So choose your thoughts, words and actions wisely.

Residing in a negative state is not skilful or conducive to following the path judiciously...
    You can choose to be happy or otherwise, but consider your state of mind, and decide whether it is a positive step in the right direction...?

JohnCobb
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

Many so called moral laws (Blue Laws, etc.) are immoral. While they are technically legal, having been passed by governments supposedly representing the people and enforcing community standards, they often do not reflect the community and impose a narrow and rigid "morality" by a few upon the many, to the detriment of all.
    If my religious belief is that only black clothing and straw sandels are proper dress while all other dress is immodest, as the maker of rules, I can thus enact a law to ban all clothing not in compliance with my code, I may have legal authority to impose my clothing restrictions upon you, but I do not have the moral right to do so.
    Legality and morality all to often do not match.

Shoshin1
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

This is a very interesting topic.

Cultures create laws to enforce compliance with the culture. We collectively as a culture decide what behaviors are to be included and what behaviors are to be outlawed, laws are passed, and then enforced. In most if not all of the states in the US, assault and public nudity are both illegal, and if you commit either of those you could (and likely would) be prosecuted. This is because MOST people in the culture wouldn't do these things, so the majority enacts laws against whatever the culture decides is undesirable.

Religious viewpoints are often fervently held, so religious teachings tend to be similarly fervent. I've certainly heard plenty of examples of intolerance in church. But the Christian faith is the predominant religion of the culture I inhabit, so its teachings are familiar and therefore their sinister nature is hard to notice. The fundamental evil in less familiar religious teachings is easier to notice because we're not inured to it. Sharia law seems blatantly evil to us, but we're sublimely blind to the mirror image: our teachings, our culture, seem just as blatantly evil to them.