Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Which book are you reading?

TozanTozan Turkey Explorer
edited May 2021 in Sanghas

I'm reading Dhammapada and selected letters and teachings of Master Seung Sahn in a book named Dropping Ashes on the Buddha.

BunksShoshin1

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I am reading Osho’s The Mustard Seed, about Jesus and the Gospel of Thomas which is one of the Gnostic texts found at Nag Hammadi in 1945.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I'm currently reading "The True Teaching on Amida Buddha and His Pure Land" by Josho Adrian Cirlea.

TozanJeroenAlex
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I'm reading Ocean of Dharma 365 teachings on living life with courage and compassion, The Everyday Wisdom of Chogyam Trungpa...

And 86 tricks to ace organic chemistry by AceOrganicChem.com

TozanBunks
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited May 2021

I had been contemplating beginning just such a thread as this for some while, but my basement's been flooding, the house been trying to return to the soil, and time has been sadly lacking.

I submit Metazoa: Animal Life and the Birth of the Mind by Peter Godfrey Smith.

. . . focuses on the evolutionary developments that shaped our brains, and no matter how much you think you know about these developments, his book will deepen your understanding . . . ―Elizabeth Marshall Thomas, The American Scholar>

Also, Sediments of Time by Meave Leakey, and Lab Girl by Hope Jahren.

ps - @lobster might like the first book - it's got crustaceans in it.

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I also just finished reading Digging for treasure at Nag Hammadi by Bram Moerland, a book about what we can tell about the gnostics from the papers unearthed at Nag Hammadi in 1945. It is a pity that so little of the gnostic beliefs have been preserved — due to the diligent book-burning by the early Christian church — but it seems to have been a more mystical set of beliefs than Christianity turned into. You get quite a different picture of Jesus from there.

Bunks
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I'm in the middle of Together We Are One by Thich Nhat Hanh. He has so many that I'm usually reading one.

I found a book on a shelf at work that I've been reading a few pages of each day called The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

It's a fun romp so far.

BunksShoshin1Jeroen
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran

My daughter gave me that book ...Yes it is a fun read....

Bunks
  • ShanYin37ShanYin37 Ontario, Canada Explorer

"Quit and Stay Quit". Not technically a Dharma book. I have a big handful of Dharma books that I'm not sure helped me with much over the course of my path.

Bunks

@ShanYin37 said:
    "Quit and Stay Quit". Not technically a Dharma book. I have a big handful of Dharma books that I'm not sure helped me with much over the course of my path.

It depends what you think of as help. I’ve read a fair few sutra anthologies, which I wouldn’t immediately say were tremendously helpful but still they showed me a few things that increased my ability to recognise wisdom.

• ShanYin37ShanYin37 Ontario, Canada Explorer

Suttas and Suttras were something that got me inspired to live life mindfully and peaceably and wisely at the beginning of my journey.

@Kerome

Did you ever find that they help to think and question and analyze skeptically and logically?

Bunks
    edited May 2021

@ShanYin37 said:
    Did you ever find that they help to think and question and analyze skeptically and logically?

I admired the logic, it fitted well with my scientific training. Some of it was beautiful. But at the same time I found it rather dry. I think modern teachers do a good job injecting more joy into the original texts of the Pali cannon.

But I agree with you, the quality of dhamma books is rather variable, and reading them is always like sifting the mud for dust-flakes of gold. Which is why I have become quite selective and try to pick books where a seam might be found.

• TozanTozan Turkey Explorer

Shoshin1
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

An older book that has been sitting on my shelf for some time .. a long-ago Xmas gift (published in 2007, so probably a lot more info since then):

"Train your Mind, Change Your Brain: A groundbreaking collaboration between neuroscience and buddhism" by Sharon Begley, foreward by the Dalai Lama.
    A dry, but interesting read.

Bunks

I have been reading this…

It’s a wonderful book about a strange world of halls and vestibules and staircases, a giant house which is like a labyrinth, and it’s inhabitant, Piranesi.

• AlexAlex UK Veteran

Ajahn Sumedho’s “The Four Noble Truths”

And of course I’m continuing to read Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj’s book I Am That.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Zen and the Art of Saving the Planet by Thich Nhat Hanh.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2021

They still have books?
    Well I never … read that is … ;)

I like to read/study trees, cuts out the middleman …

Walker