Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

One Buddha, Many Isms?

JohnCobbJohnCobb Hot Springs Arkansas Explorer

From my understanding, there was only one Shakyamuni Buddha and he handed down a certain set of teaching about the cause, effect, and cessation of suffering. Where did all the different kinds of Buddhism come from? It's confusing when trying to pick a path and confusing when trying to learn.

Comments

• JohnCobbJohnCobb Hot Springs Arkansas Explorer

@Shoshin1 I tried to click the link and it won't let me 😥

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Basically they all focus on aspects of the complete teaching of the Buddha, as far as I understand. Pure Land has just a handful of sutra’s it considers key for example.

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    You could spend the rest of your life shopping around trying to settle on a certain practice but i don’t advise it (speaking from experience) hehe

That said, I think whatever schools of Buddhism you choose to study, there is always something there to learn. It is difficult to really waste your time. It depends on what teachings resonate with you.

BunksJohnCobblobsterShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Kerome is right.

You could visit my website … but probably better to start your own
    https://cundi.weebly.com/

You could call it … well whatever resonates …

hotspringsbuddha.com is probably available …
    I am hoping your name is John Cobb. Good initials …

Hallelujah as we heretics say …

JohnCobbBunksNerida