Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Update on elder talk

So I was told to take partial vows to prepare for full lay vows for intermediate program called basic program. That means killing bugs at work needs to stop regardless of what my boss says as my job is kill them. I can’t stop my job either because of circumstances. I was told to dive deep into the studies if I wanna become a nun or a real acceptable laynun. And to to trust those in my sect sangha to trust my medical team my family who means well and society who is questionable but means well. To find the right meds and to take meds right. To do my therapy fully as I have been struggling. And that does not guarantee fully a nunship but it proves to my sangha I am trying and deserve being a nun. I was told to foscus on my sects beginner course the new tibetan buddhist sect. As I am not ready for discussion of the basic course. That means my actions my mouth need muzzled. I will do it. But be for warned that doesn’t mean I won’t tit for tat defend myself . Again let this be a new beginning.

Bunks

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Welcome back <3

Don't be none the wiser but Nun the Wiser … (top tip) :mrgreen:

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Good luck @paska

• @paska you may find this of interest.... A different Buddhist perspective on pest management...

It appears that although negative kamma, the killing of insects would be like a salt cube in the River Ganges and not seriously lead to any significant negative results, especially if done in defense of your home and family. For example a person who kills termites, wasps, or poisonous insects that entered his home after attempts to remove them failed

Insects and Pest Management

Bunks
  • paskapaska Explorer

I was told by a nun in fpmt Buddhism that killing insects would violate vow of murder I have to take in order to be take intermediate program and later advanced program. That being said what about winter and spiders 🕷 if I rescue them and take them out side.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Being a nun is a worthy goal in its own right, regardless of whether you end up teaching. I think it was Ramana Maharshi who said, “your own enlightenment is the greatest gift that you can give to the world.”

paskaBunksFoibleFull
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

It is not whether or not we kill a human or an insect. It is OUR imprints, OUR act of taking ANY life ... that creates negative imprints within us. In the view of Buddhism, insects do not have less value than humans. Supposedly we have all had lives as an insect, and may again ... especially if we kill an insect. I remember my Lama telling us that if we kill a spider, this sets the karma for us to have 500 rebirths as a spider.
    Of course, I cannot speak from personal knowledge about any of this, but that is what our Lama told us.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@FoibleFull said:
    It is not whether or not we kill a human or an insect. It is OUR imprints, OUR act of taking ANY life ... that creates negative imprints within us. In the view of Buddhism, insects do not have less value than humans. Supposedly we have all had lives as an insect, and may again ... especially if we kill an insect. I remember my Lama telling us that if we kill a spider, this sets the karma for us to have 500 rebirths as a spider.
    Of course, I cannot speak from personal knowledge about any of this, but that is what our Lama told us.

This last point of yours is very much a Tibetan Buddhist belief.

In the Theravadan tradition these kind of ideas don't exist. It's more our habitual tendencies that determine our rebirth.

Not saying either is right or wrong, just adding for clarity.

Carry on...

lobsterShoshin1paska
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited June 2021

@FoibleFull said:
    I remember my Lama telling us that if we kill a spider, this sets the karma for us to have 500 rebirths as a spider.

It is quite something, to believe anyone when they tell you they have knowledge of what happens to you after your death. I leave the question to one side, answering neither ‘I know’ nor ‘I do not know’. I believe in Ehipassiko, come and see for yourself.

BunkslobsterFoibleFullpaska
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Spiritual adulthood.

Too often, with teachers, the only justification required for them saying that something is true, is them thinking that the holding on of such a belief will be of dharmic help.

Where one can probably trust that such a belief is offered with good intent,
    the help that it offers never actually required it to ultimately stand alone as a truth.

BunkslobsterShoshin1FoibleFull