Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monkey Chatter

As we know the Monkey Mind controls us. What to do? Here are my tips, be glad to hear yours:

• Put monkey in a cage with skilful distractions
  • Relax into discipline change
  • Leave the cage open
BunksShoshin1

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Calm with doses of meditation. Gently tease out the emotional hang-ups. Bring peace and equanimity.

lobsterShoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Be present. Keep the monkey quiet by feeding it blissful silence. Moment, by moment.

Shoshin1
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Labelling it the monkey mind or something similar seems like a good first step in de-identifying with the thought stream. Once we stop identifying with it, we can better make use of it because it is a very handy tool if we can learn to put it down.

Same with our phones, lol.

lobsterShoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Hang on, I've go another call coming in...."

DavidlobsterJohnCobb
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I like @Davids comment.

Part of our attention/consciousness is dictated by input for example gibbering in symbiosis with our social apps/phones/tvs etc.

So in a sense we formally cage our monkey with mindfulness and/or meditation …

JohnCobbDavid
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited June 2021

My mind was once full of noisy monkeys who really liked to chat-
    never stopping for a minute even when I sat…

However when I focused upon the breath when monkey chatter became unkind
    The monkeys had a little grumble then departed quickly from the mind

The monkeys are always welcome back now the mind's no longer their zoo
    But on their best behaviour for they know what mindfulness can do

I do like all sentient beings, even monkeys who like to chat-
    but they can take their gossip elsewhere-for I’ve had enough of that

lobsterJohnCobbDavid
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

lobsterDavidShoshin1
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Not unlike myself, the monkey is getting old and tired and does not jabber so much as she was once accustomed to do. He is also, perhaps, getting wiser - if I can use that term - and not everything she says can be dismissed out of hand, but must - from time to time - be mindfully examined.

@lobster - what did you mean by "leave the cage open"? My monkey perked up her ears at that, and implored me to ask about it.

BunksShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Fosdick
    https://coaching-journey.com/coaching-story-monkey-trap/

The Buddha in her 'discipline cage' is neither trapped nor going anywhere even if doing walking meditation.
    https://unfetteredmind.org/tilopas-advice/

Fosdick
  • Sitting with all the monkey chatter can become overwhelming at times

However with a bit of training/taming

BunksDavidlobsterLionduck
  • between those monkeys and those parrots..But the macaws cancel them all out.