Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I had a lovely Chicken Tikka Massala yesterday, the first time I ate out in nine months.

Bunkslobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Kerome said:
    I had a lovely Chicken Tikka Massala yesterday, the first time I ate out in nine months.

Lovely! Hard to beat I reckon.

I’m meeting a friend at a Thai restaurant for dinner tonight. Still deciding what to have.

• How's the weather where you are @Bunks ?

@Shoshin1 said:
    How's the weather where you are @Bunks ?

It’s fine thanks @Shoshin1 - but there’s a lot of storm damage north of me.

The monastery doesn’t have power now and is basically cut off (trees across the road) which worries me a bit.

They have a lot of trees down and one of their sheds collapsed.

I offered to come help this weekend but there’s not much point as

a) I can’t get in there
    b) until someone with a chainsaw gets in there we can’t move any of the trees or dismantle the shed.

Shoshin1
  • @Bunks said:

@Shoshin1 said:
    How's the weather where you are @Bunks ?

It’s fine thanks @Shoshin1 - but there’s a lot of storm damage north of me.

The monastery doesn’t have power now and is basically cut off (trees across the road) which worries me a bit.

They have a lot of trees down and one of their sheds collapsed.

I offered to come help this weekend but there’s not much point as

a) I can’t get in there
    b) until someone with a chainsaw gets in there we can’t move any of the trees or dismantle the shed.

Impermanence making itself known @Bunks ...

May they all be safe and well... <3

Bunkslobster
  • It's a beautiful warm sunny day on the island...a bit chilly first thing....

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I followed his recommendation to begin with a warm shower and turn it to cold, and start with 30 seconds. He accepts that people need to go at their own pace, but even so, he encourages people to challenge their own pre-conceived ideas and 'fears' and go that step beyond their comfort zone. It's effective.

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Tee hee my shower does not work on warm.
    Easy. As for the breathing method. I just used deep breathing.

meanwhile …
    caught a pic of a sparrow in a neighbours pear tree, gathering nesting material.

BunksShoshin1Fosdick
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

2nd vax done today. Yaaayyy!

Shoshin1lobsterBunks
  • That's good news @how...

how
  • Natural bird bath

Puddle in driveway

Went to Newbury Buddhist Monastery yesterday to help clean up after the storm.

Shoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh my goodness! That is SOME weather damage! Hopefully everything is reparable... Reminds me of the storms we had here, in 1987... With winds gusting at up to 100mph, there was massive devastation across the country and 18 people were killed. About 15 million trees were blown down. People still talk about it. Rather like the heatwave of '76...

Bunks
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited June 2021

Was that the storm when Sevenoaks became SixOneoaks ?

Bunks
  • Beautiful sunrise this morning, captured it's gradual appearance as I jolked along the beach...

JeroenBunkshowFosdick
  • Beautiful colours in the sky this morning...like a rainbow trying to break through...

Bunks

Beautiful photos, @Shoshin but I bet they don't do the real thing justice, by a long shot...

Shoshin1
    edited June 2021

Yes true @federica, the colours were spectacular... I'm having to use my old phone's camera, my new phone is too big to carry on the jolk..

And this morning a weather bomb hit (came across from Oz) Strong winds and heavy rains

Then a window of opportunity opened, break in the rain, so I took it and headed out for a jolk...

Spectacular dark storm clouds like a gigantic dark space ship slowly moved across the island ...

...well worth getting soaked for....

It's surprisingly warm for this time of year around 17/18C...

BunksJeroenFosdick

Just saw a tornado hit Auckland @Shoshin1 ! Hope everything ok in your part of the world.

Shoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

We got three pear trees for free during the corona period, they were rather scraggly by we planted them and two are now making new leaves, one appears to be dead.

BunksShoshin1
  • @Bunks said:
    Just saw a tornado hit Auckland @Shoshin1 ! Hope everything ok in your part of the world.

All well here thanks @Bunks just strong winds, the tornado hit Papatoetoe in south Auckland, sadly a person died when the wind lifted him up in the air and threw him against a container, lots of shipping containers had been blown over....

Bunks

• Group of iceberg swimmers in training for the mid winter bay to bay swim in a fortnight...They will be swimming from Little Oneroa bay to Oneroa bay

Bunks
  • ShanYin37ShanYin37 Ontario, Canada Explorer

Started doing some volunteer work.

Shoshin1Bunkslobster
  • When you do volunteer work, you'll be paid in satisfaction & fulfilment $$$....

Bunkslobster
  • ShanYin37ShanYin37 Ontario, Canada Explorer

On top of having tasks to focus on with my hands, instead of playing video games.

Shoshin1Bunkslobster

Today (21 June) and tomorrow (22 June) are the winter solstice here in the South and the summer solstice in the North.

May all my Dhamma friends on here be well, happy and find peace.

Shoshin1lobsterFosdick

Yes, we're celebrating mid-summer with wonderful balmy, sultry temperatures of 16 degrees C! I can't tell you how thrilling it is to be still dipping into my "winter wardrobe" for something appropriate to wear!!

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

There I was at 4.15am checking out the midsummer in one of our local London commons. I believe it is still legal to graze your flock of sheep on these grounds. Sadly no sheep. Anyway it was mostly deserted. One cyclist, no joggers. Practically no one. Suits me.

Anyhow realised that brisk walking is a form of hyper ventilation as used by Win Hof. What if at the end of my walk, I breathed out and carried on walking with no breath?

Instant light headiness after about ten paces and possibility of fainting. Massive in-breath. Yep will try this a bit. If I die or develop super powers, will let you know … ⚰️

The light headiness is similar to being chocked in Judo. Lack of oxygen to the brain. The thing is doing this relaxed AND I am more confident using the breathing of pranayama …
    https://thejoywithin.org/breath-exercises/bhramana-pranayama

Shoshin1Jeroen

Wim Hof does recommend you do NOT do his breathing exercises while engaged in doing something else, particularly driving or swimming or operating machinery. I do simple breathing while walking my dog, but never to the extent of the exercise...

lobsterBunksShoshin1

It seems some folks are getting worried about whether their PCs will run Windows 11. There is a Microsoft-created app which will check your computer over and see if it is ok for the upgrade, which is coming quite soon.

You can download the app here.

Bunks
  • Well it was overcast and rainy this morning...but still not too cold, however the forecast for the this week is a drop in temperature ...

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

At 9:30 this morning it is already 32 degrees C and on its cloudless way towards a high today of 40. I have friends that are further inland that had over 46. C yesterday and it looks like it might go even higher today. Some of the local people still attending the zoom sittings this morning looked like they were wet tee shirt contestants.
    On perhaps a less scary note...
    Even our neighborhood deer haters here are putting out buckets of water in sympathy for their garden adversaries who seem to be suffering from water parchment.
    My bush sugar snaps that the seed package limits to around 3 ft are currently over 7 ft and still climbing. They are probably just mislabeled seeds. My tiny veggy garden now looks like something out of Findhorn.

lobsterShoshin1Bunks

Yeah we heard about the heatwave in Canada, it sounds pretty ferocious. Any temps over 35 C call for staying indoors if you ask me…

• @how it's like the weather in Canada goes from one extreme to the other...stay cool...

Well winter's finally hit the island, today's cold and wet, at the moment it's around 12C expected to reach 14C...

Bunks
    edited June 2021

Dear rest of the Northern Hemisphere. It appears you have our summer as well as your own. Please could we have ours back. We're freezing our bloody balls off here, and it keeps raining. Many thanks. Sincerely, The UK.

lobster
    edited June 2021

Well it was cold this morning around 7C, I had four layers on my torso, three on my arms, two on my butt, bare legs and runners no sock on my feet....

but the beautiful sunrise and clear blue sky melted the cold away...Well jolking also helped....

Bunks

@Kerome said:
    It seems some folks are getting worried about whether their PCs will run Windows 11. There is a Microsoft-created app which will check your computer over and see if it is ok for the upgrade, which is coming quite soon.

You can download the app here.

Microsoft seem to have withdrawn this app for now because it wasn’t giving good enough reasons why many PCs were not given the ok for the upgrade. Basically what seems to be happening is a big push for upgraded security in the hardware. MS are requiring Trusted Platform Module 2.0 and UEFI Secure Boot on the motherboard, and an 8th Generation or later processor (those made after 2016). And a lot of even quite recent PCs are failing these requirements.

But even after Windows 11 ships later this year MS have said they will continue support for Windows 10 until 2025, so you are good for a few years yet before your OS stops getting security patches and you are forced to upgrade.

The Palace of Peace…

Shoshin1
  • Reminds me of this....

"Ommm"

Bunkslobster

How is restoration/repair work going, @Bunks ? Have things settled down?

@Bunks do you still visit the monastery?

• It's Matariki Maori new year...And as of next year it will be a national holiday...bloody about time too...

Also the Ice Berg Swim is on tomorrow....The event organisers are expecting 2000 people at the event...most from what i gather will be spectators ...but i could be wrong...

I went for a walk a long the beach with a friend after I finished work this afternoon, the event organisers have set up shop and a few icebergers were testing the water...

Bunks

@federica said:
    How is restoration/repair work going, @Bunks ? Have things settled down?

Slowly but surely clearing up! Still a bit to do though. But they’ll get there

@Kerome said:
    @Bunks do you still visit the monastery?

Yep, just got back today from five days there. Very peaceful… <3

JeroenlobsterShoshin1
  • The Ice Berg event...on a beautiful winter's day, quite warm and the village was very busy ...lots of visitors over for the event...
    I worked this morning, did a shift for a work friend who was sick.... as you can see I was very busy ;);)

After work I walked down to the beach....quite a few people there...

I walked back to the office to take this video of the 250 metre swim...

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Some monks who were evacuated from their temple in Lytton just sent me this news clip footage of some of the devastation.
    https://bc.ctvnews.ca/exclusive-video-shows-wreckage-left-by-fire-that-tore-though-b-c-village-1.5495032
    They still don't know if their place was burnt or not.
    It looks like the gulf stream over the Pacific ocean has repositioned itself in such a way that more high heat pressure domes may become the new normal of climate change here.

Bunks
  • Wow, the shape of things to come @how.....

edited July 2021

Well last month I officially became a Waihekeian, after 20 years living on the island one can call themselves a Waihekeian local...Mind you I got my Waiheke ID a year or so ago, it's a photo ID for catching the ferries, There's a local's queue and a non local's queue, locals can board the ferry first...This all came about due to some locals who work in Auckland couldn't get on the ferry because if was full of tourists, so now locals board first...

This morning it was around 7C when I started my jolk, a couple of young women (Ice Berger) were just going for a swim, and further along I came across a group of young women who had just finished their early morning swim...

BunksJeroen
  • Very cool morning jolk (cool in every way)

The ocean cloaked in mist-ery

The mist-ery lifting....exposing its secrets...

You can just make out some ice bergers having an early morning swim
    Between the middle boat and shoreline they are on the crest of the wave...