Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

An update from Birken Monastery in Canada regarding the bushfires. They seem fairly well prepared if evacuation is required.

Shoshin1Kotishka
  • It would seem there's never a dull moment in Mother Earth's life.. there's always something spectacular happening, at times she may have a fever and is burning up, or the shivers and cooling down, or floods of sweat pouring over her body...pimples erupting...

Amazing

Every moment is a moment of events and no moment passes by without an event..One can not notice a moment without noticing events taking place in that moment...Therefore, the moment one tries to pay bare attention to is the present moment...

Never a dull moment..

Bunkslobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh, how I would love to join them!!

Bunks

I was kindly given some quite ripe avocado's on Friday and wasn't quite sure what to do with them.

So I came up with the following (not original I fear!) that I've been spreading on toast each morning for breakfast. Delicious!

2 x ripe avocado
    1/2 lemon
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 x habenaro chilli (pepper) finely chopped
    1/8 of a red onion finally chopped

Mash avocado, add juice of half a lemon and blend together with all other ingredients.

Shoshin1lobster
  • Sound's yummy @Bunks ...

My occasional snack is avocado on toast with a sprinkling of savory yeast flakes on top...

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

My breakfast these days consists of a couple of toasted pitta breads with hummus and Chinese stir fry. Better for the body than bread with cheese.

BunksShoshin1
  • On this morning's jolk, stormy weather choppy seas and a lone surfer makes he's way into the surf...

Bunks
  • Omar the Zealot left me quite intrigued regarding this Nichiren. So I found an interesting anime film :D

JeroenShoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Aaaah, it's so peaceful though...!

@federica said:

Given the result in the football this morning fede, I would've thought it was a little noisy in your neck of the woods? :)

• Beautiful sunrise this morning...

Bunkslobster
    edited July 2021

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

Given the result in the football this morning fede, I would've thought it was a little noisy in your neck of the woods? :)

Naaaah.... what makes you think that...?!

Bunks

I seem to have developed a weird connection with the time 7.42am.
    Many years ago I worked at a place and the standard starting time (we had Flexi time) was 7.42am.
    Then recently I seem to look at the time most days when it’s 7.42am.
    Strange…

Me. it's 11:11. Night or day. Very peculiar...

Bunks
  • Me. It's 3.33. It means something is wrong!

• For me NOW is my special time...

Bunks
  • This morning's jolk..
    The sunrise on the road up from Owhanake Bay

On reaching Oneroa beach...

An hour and half later on home stretch up from Owhanake Bay

Bunks

THat's a beautiful part of the world....

Shoshin1Bunks
  • It is @federica, I appreciate every day...No doubt other members have Mother Nature's beauty on their doorstep or close by ...

Bermondsey the suburb where I grew up/lived for 16 years before moving to Oz then Aotearoa ....

It's funny Bermondsey is hardly ever mentioned on overseas news, but the other night it was on our local news, about the (I guess you could say) fanatical England supporters, the news clip was of this estate ...

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Buddhas in my garden. All is well. B)

Bunks

Your nasturtiums are poppin' @lobster ... so delicious in salads...

lobster
  • lobster
    edited July 2021

I think you can safely say England took their eye off the ball.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Yeah, well, just goes to show, one goal is never enough in football.

@federica said:

Yeah, tough way to lose....I assume you have a foot in both camps fede?

It was really close though. England won the first half and if they had kept up the pressing game in the second and gotten that second goal, it would have been enough to see them through, I think. Losing on penalties is never ideal but I reckon Donnaruma was the better goalkeeper and on that it was deserved that Italy won.

Bunks

@Kerome said:
    It was really close though. England won the first half and if they had kept up the pressing game in the second and gotten that second goal, it would have been enough to see them through, I think. Losing on penalties is never ideal but I reckon Donnaruma was the better goalkeeper and on that it was deserved that Italy won.

It wasn't helped by the fact that our strikers were really a poor choice. Who the hell ever imagined that a guy who's not even old enough to vote, would have the experience and expertise to save England's hopes of the world cup?? He's 17 fer chrissakes! Boy doing a man's job! Southgate made some poor choices at the most crucial stage of the Games. His decisions made no sense.

edited July 2021

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

Yeah, tough way to lose....I assume you have a foot in both camps fede?

I did indeed... very torn... but I think Italy won because of England's faults, not because of their brilliance. England handed it to them on a plate. The euphoria of that first goal, within 2 minutes of the game beginning, should have been enough to spur England on, and carry the game. Frankly, it was an opportunity missed. Literally.

Very good Wimbledon Final too. Novak Djockovic played brilliantly but his mettle was suitably tested by his Italian opponent, Matteo Berrettini. The match was a real nail-biter, and both players were excellent. Loved watching it, superb sportsmanship and a really entertaining battle!

Bunks

@federica said:
    Southgate made some poor choices at the most crucial stage of the Games. His decisions made no sense.

I was more impressed with Mancini, he made adjustments and made good substitutions which got Italy back in the game. Kane did a lot of good work, but mostly in the midfield and with his back to goal, and Sterling was kept well shackled. I think there was room for Southgate to be brave and bring on extra attacking options, but he didn’t and that was it.

@Kerome said:

@federica said:
    Southgate made some poor choices at the most crucial stage of the Games. His decisions made no sense.

I was more impressed with Mancini, he made adjustments and made good substitutions which got Italy back in the game. Kane did a lot of good work, but mostly in the midfield and with his back to goal, and Sterling was kept well shackled. I think there was room for Southgate to be brave and bring on extra attacking options, but he didn’t and that was it.

He shouldn't have brought on the subs he did. I think it was to give them a chance to play in The Final, but it was, to my mind, a gross tactical error. And it cost him the Cup.

• Well it looks like Italy gave England the boot...no pun intended...well just a little one ;);)

BunksfedericaKotishka
  • This morning I had to run the gauntlet of duck...but it was they who ran/ducked for cover...

Bunks

@federica
    He shouldn't have brought on the subs he did. I think it was to give them a chance to play in The Final, but it was, to my mind, a gross tactical error. And it cost him the Cup.

Certainly to bring the young guys on so close to the end just for the penalties wasnt right. But I think they could have done more to win it in the regulation 90 minutes, by bringing on those extra attacking players. He brought on no subs, compared to Mancini, who brought on a number of very succesful subs.

• Beautiful cloud formation this morning...

A warm dry evening...but bad weather is on the way...

Bunks

Beautiful @Shoshin1

Shoshin1

Did you know @shoshin1 that most camera’s have an editing feature which will allow you to adjust the straightness of the horizon after the photo has been taken? It’s one of the key distinguishing features between pro photographers pictures and amateurs, a straight horizon…

lobsterShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Shoshin You can even edit the saturation and post smaller images …

Shoshin1Bunks

Here endeth the first lesson...

Shoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    Your nasturtiums are poppin' @lobster ... so delicious in salads...

Yes thank you, here is one of the flowers. Very pleased with them.

Shoshin1Bunks
  • Thanks for the tips/reminders guys... I have on the odd occasion used the editing feature, but for the most part...I take a lot of photos on the run(whilst jolking) the phone camera capturing what is as is ...I just thought the cloud formation looked pretty right in that moment...

I'm home and dry now (you could say I was blown home...it was quite strong winds...in fact it was mind blowing)...it's just started to rain, it's meant to become heavier during the day...

Bunks
  • Severe flooding in the South Island and parts of the lower North island and at the same time, severe flooding in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany...AKA Climate change...

Bunks

Many, many years ago, the late, great, irreplaceable and much-missed loonigan Spike Milligan, wrote this account:

"There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But the holes are small
    That's why rain, is thin."

It's a long time since he wrote that, and over time, the sky has lost some of its elasticity, and has begun to sag, which is why the clouds seem closer, and the holes have become bigger. Hence your rain, @Shoshin.

This climate change stuff is utter nonsense.

Bunks

On a more serious note, abandoning levity, it is time to confront the climate change naysayers with the catastrophic results of this tragic phenomenon, lay the statistics at their feet, and ask them to logically, scientifically, sensibly explain any other possible reason there could be as to why the recent victims have died.

Bunks

@federica said:
    On a more serious note, abandoning levity, it is time to confront the climate change naysayers with the catastrophic results of this tragic phenomenon, lay the statistics at their feet, and ask them to logically, scientifically, sensibly explain any other possible reason there could be as to why the recent victims have died.

It’s god punishing us for our sins =)

Kotishka
  • This morning I decided to go the whole hog and deliberately tilt the camera to either side

Both Intriguing and disturbing at first glance...until the mental adjustment... .

Reception...then perception

The morning sun bursting through the haze... a new clear explosion...

• @Bunks said:

It’s god punishing us for our sins =)

I thought her/his son took one for the team 🙃😇🙃

Bunks

Now I’m dizzy @Shoshin1 - need a lie down

• @Bunks said:
    Now I’m dizzy @Shoshin1 - need a lie down

Yes the photos can make you feel a bit dizzy, it's amazing really...

Bunks

I’m just horrified to see the principles of good photography so thoroughly abused. I shudder to think what the teacher of my photography course would say. If she were dead, I’m sure she’d be turning in her grave, lol.

Shoshin1Bunksfederica
  • This morning downunder ...
    Hmmm

That's a bit better...

That's even better still

About right....

And this afternoon after work...a beautiful full moon...

BunksKotishka