Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Speed of thought

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

Recently I have come to suspect that the speed by which you think about, consider and react to an impulse may be a factor in how mature you are. If you think quickly and make a lot of snap judgments, then you are unlikely to be able to express a lot of wisdom because you are often relying on the surface impressions of your mind.

In order to come to a more considered response to an impulse, you need to slow down a little, to bring your deeper considerations into sync. Even then, you may find that some of your thinking is so slow that it takes days for you to truly know what you think about a certain subject.

Have you ever encountered any of this?

Lionduck

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Catch-22, dukkha. An action is needed, time is passing, what to do? Act thoughtlessly on the first impulse, think about it until the issue becomes moot, or try to take the middle way within the limitations of time.

I suppose the first order of business would be to slow down just enough to really understand what the time frame is.

lobsterKotishkaJeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Sorry, this reminds me of:-

Light travels faster than sound. That’s why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

lobsterBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Slow down … iz plan …

BunksKotishka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Even then, you may find that some of your thinking is so slow that it takes days for you to truly know what you think about a certain subject.

Well Now …

I don't think any subject is certain and I am not interested in what I think, which is just malleable clouds across the Sun. However when a degree of clarity and stillness exists, focus and concentration is in place, then maybe I might take up thinking … is it painful? 🤪

Bunks
  • @lobster said:
    Slow down … iz plan …

** On the Birth of a Son**
    By Su Tung-Po
    Translated by Arthur Waley

Families when a child is born
    Hope it will turn out intelligent.
    I, through intelligence
    Having wrecked my whole life,
    Only hope that the baby will prove
    Ignorant and stupid.
    Then he'll be happy all his days
    And grow into a cabinet minister.

LionduckShoshin1Bunks
  • Favorite human pastime - Inserting foot in mouth.
    we keep getting ot wrong until we accidentally get it right.

Peace to all

lobsterBunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Fosdick said:
    Catch-22, dukkha. An action is needed, time is passing, what to do? Act thoughtlessly on the first impulse, think about it until the issue becomes moot, or try to take the middle way within the limitations of time.

I suppose the first order of business would be to slow down just enough to really understand what the time frame is.

That’s right. You rarely see Buddhist monks answer a question with speed or impetuosity, I think they understand this phenomenon very well. It’s more than just think before you speak, it’s wait for the answer to emerge before you open your mouth. Adjust to your own speed of thinking.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Kerome said:

@Fosdick said:

That’s right. You rarely see Buddhist monks answer a question with speed or impetuosity, I think they understand this phenomenon very well. It’s more than just think before you speak, it’s wait for the answer to emerge before you open your mouth. Adjust to your own speed of thinking.

I spoke to a certain monk online for about 10 minutes yesterday morning for the first time.

His pause before responding to a question or comment was a little disconcerting at first until I realised he was actually considering his response before giving it.

May be a lesson in there for me! :)<3

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Measure it twice Lad; you'll only be cutting it the once."

Bunksyagr
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Kerome said:
    Recently I have come to suspect that the speed by which you think about, consider and react to an impulse may be a factor in how mature you are. If you think quickly and make a lot of snap judgments, then you are unlikely to be able to express a lot of wisdom because you are often relying on the surface impressions of your mind.

In order to come to a more considered response to an impulse, you need to slow down a little, to bring your deeper considerations into sync. Even then, you may find that some of your thinking is so slow that it takes days for you to truly know what you think about a certain subject.

Have you ever encountered any of this?

Reacting to impulses is often an intuitive thing, not involving thought. So maybe it's more about awareness, not getting caught up in the moment.
    Sometimes people make a big thing about thoughts, and the absence of thoughts, but I regard thinking as the most superficial level of experience, and not actually that significant. To me thinking is just a sort of inner commentary, which reflects the state of one's mind.

lobster