Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Teaching from lived experience

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

Those of you who teach, how have you found it to teach from lived experience? In those areas of my life where I have taught, I have always found that it’s massively more powerful when I do so. There is much more of a connection.

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2021

When I was teaching IT or computer science or whatever it is called these days, some observations come to mind:

• Some people are so bright, they tell you how to teach. They end up with less tuition.
    • Some people do not learn. Near zero capacity.
    • Aspects of dharma can be transmitted whatever the format.

When I taught yoga, I had to call it keep fit because I was working within a Christian framework and they thought yoga involved possession by Hindu deities.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It was advice once given to Adyashanti, and I think for a spiritual teacher it is key. If I look at the kind of experiences I have had in meditation and in sleep, to teach from those experiences is a radically different proposition than teaching from a textbook. Not that I have yet tried to do so. But I kind of think lived experience of these things is key.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

If individuality is just the habituated denial of our true insignificance amidst an endlessly unfolding chaos, a teaching by example (which partakes of all the data sense gates) offers a wider avenue for approaching an uncomfortable idea than by just asking a myopically compromised mentality alone to change it's directed viewings.

lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I have never really taught but it makes sense. If we can show the practicality in the way we present the theory, not only will we be able to explain it better, the audience will be able to understand it better.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2021

I have taught.
    I have held and run Feng Shui workshops and given consultations.
    All very rewarding and great experiences.
    I also (as many of you will already know) taught Qi Gong and Zham Zhong.
    Had the time of my life.

Bunks
  • A difference between college and university is not necessarily the subjects, but the presence of ongoing research at the site.

Memorizing a didactic and then reciting it (say, to students) is different from recalling an experience and relating it, even if the actual material is the same.

Bunkslobster
  • What do we embody and cause others to learn? We are all teachers by example. A sort of asymptomatic transferring agent …

Not only is example the best way to teach, it is the only way
    Albert Schweitzer

Bunkshow