Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Buddhist Quotes

As we know, the Buddha was an original.

But what of others illuminating our whey and why?

For example:

• Be in the world, not of the world - Christian Gnostics (ah ha! Perfect for lay Buddhists)
  • “No one will reap except what they sow.” - Quran 6:164 (ooh sounds a bit karmic)
  • Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.
    Terry Pratchett

No know quotes please?

Bunks

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I think, therefore I think I am (I think). 😋

Mary1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“I will give you everything that you are, and take away everything you are not.”
    — The Buddha (dubiously attributed)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2021

The Catechism according to Saint Dawkins:

• Who made me?
    • Evolution made me.

• Why did evolution make me?

• To annoy Catholics. 😝
    BunksJeroenKotishkayagr
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up. This is the trick. This is what all these teachers and philosophers who really counted, who really touched the alchemical gold, this is what they understood. This is the shamanic dance in the waterfall. This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering it's a feather bed.”
    ― Terence McKenna

lobsterFleaMarket
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and renders the present inaccessible.

Maya Angelou

lobsterrocala
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

If you knows of a better hole, go to it.

FleaMarket
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

“You have to learn to look at the whole of something, not just the parts.”
    ― Marie Lu, Warcross

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

There is only one guarantee in life: change.

• The Universe
    lobsterDavidJeroen
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

"Try not to pay me too much attention"
    -- anonymous

Bunkslobster

"See if you can catch yourself complaining, in either speech or thought, about a situation you find yourself in, what other people do or say, your surroundings, your life situation, even the weather. To complain is always nonacceptance of what is. Leave the situation, change the situation, or accept it. All else is madness."

~ Eckhart Tolle

lobsterBunks
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

~Not actually Mark Twain

BunksDavid
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Shoshin1 - that deserves both a LOL and Insightful

Shoshin1lobsterFosdick

This body and mind is but an aspect of what I am just as your body and mind is but an aspect of what I am.

Anonymous

"There is a trillion-dollar industry dedicated to limiting human free will."

• Douglas Rushkov

"Now that nearly all companies are dedicated to delivering shareholder value, there is no longer a common interest in human development."

• Douglas Rushkov

"The internet in its current form is intended to direct people into the most extreme and predictable versions of themselves."

• Douglas Rushkov

"Internet hate has proved to be more addictive and better at motivating people even than cat pictures."

• Anonymous
    Bunks
  • "I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned"

~Richard Feynman

lobstermarcitkoFosdickrocala
    edited August 2021

"It is impossible for one to learn what they think they already know.”
    — Epictetus (but with proper pronouns)

lobsterJeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel ... that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your Death and ask if that is so. Your Death will tell you that you're wrong; that nothing really matters outside its touch. Your Death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet'.

('Don Juan' by Carlos Castaneda.)

Jeroen
  • Everybody is in the same boat, but only some people feel it sinking
    My sister came out with this, she does not know the source?

BunksShoshin1Fosdick

@lobster said:
    Everybody is in the same boat, but only some people feel it sinking
    My sister came out with this, she does not know the source?

Jack Dawson, "Titanic".

Bunks
  • When one enters on the Path...Karmic creditors come to collect their debt

~Notsurewho Saidit~

Bunksyagr

“When you have become enlightened, it doesn’t matter if you read the Gita, the Bible, the Koran… they all confirm your experience.”

— Osho

yagrBunksKotishkarocala

“All Gods, all spirits, all beings are aspects of the divine.”

— Osho

“Whatsoever you have known, offer it to God. Open your heart to God, to your fellow seekers. But don’t offer your heart in the marketplace, you will be misunderstood. Truth can only be communicated to those who have some understanding.”

— Osho

Bunks
  • yagryagr Veteran

Better to have never started; once started, better finish. - Socrates from The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman

BunksShoshin1lobster

“One is enlightened only when one is not.”

— Osho

Bunks

“We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.”

― Terence McKenna

Bunks

“Western civilization is a loaded gun pointed at the head of this planet.”

― Terence McKenna

@Kerome said:
    “We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.”

― Terence McKenna

Well that was short and sweet....

rocala

“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.”

― Terence McKenna

Are you going to slowly quote the whole book, @Kerome ? Because I'm sure there are copyright laws against that...😁

You're right, im not going to quote the whole book, that would cause problems. Most of these quotes aren't even from books, most of his content is lectures which were recorded on tape. So I'm just slowly making my way through the goodreads.com quotes page to see what worthwhile things he said.

Bunks
  • In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.

Robert Frost

federicaBunks

"Until it doesn't."

• My Uncle
    Bunks
    edited August 2021

“Have you not watched, on a physical instrument, a material instrument, music arising that has nothing worldly in it?”

— Osho

“It is always the false that makes you suffer, the false desires and fears, the false values and ideas, the false relationships between people. Abandon the false and you are free of pain; truth makes happy, truth liberates.”

― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

“A quiet mind is all you need. All else will happen rightly, once your mind is quiet. As the sun on rising makes the world active, so does self-awareness affect changes in the mind. In the light of calm and steady self-awareness, inner energies wake up and work miracles without any effort on your part.”

― Nisargadatta Maharaj

lobster

“All you need is already within you, only you must approach yourself with reverence and love. Self-condemnation and self-distrust are grievous errors . . .”

“Your High opinion of me is your opinion only. Any moment you may change it. Why attach importance to opinions, even your own ?”

edited August 2021

"You and I are the same.
    What I have done
    Is surely possible for all.
    You are the self now,
    And can never be anything else.
    Throw your worries to the wind,
    Turn within and find peace."

― Sri Ramana Maharshi

“Look within,
    There is no difference between yourself, Self and Guru.
    You are always Free.
    There is no teacher, there is no student, there is no teaching.”

― H.W.L. Poonja

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

~Albert Einstein~

"Whenever you feel the need for a house of worship to commune with God, all churches and holy places are open to you."

— Osho

“Of course you are the Supreme Reality! But what of it? Every grain of sand is God; to know it is
    important, but that is only the beginning.”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

• "Darwinian man though well behaved a best is only a monkey shaved"

~Monkey Mind~

BunksKotishka