Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• @federica Buf....But! My girlfriend is also Ukrainian! Competitive mentality? Welcome to Germany! You will do great here.

@how

Let's see how the VISA issues goes.... in the worst case I will request a 12month work-holiday VISA or have to accept Alberta / Yukon.

For Canada!

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

• @Bunks said:
    @Shoshin1 - he’s kinda cute for a cockroach

They are nice looking creatures, adapt well, and carry out a beneficial service as one of Mother Nature's recyclers, but sadly they tend to get a bad rap because of their 'habits'....

• @コチシカ said:
    1. Work was getting a bit difficult unless your German is superb (C1-C2) or you have an IT / Engineer background. If not you are limited to Customer Service.

1. Germans are not particularly warm and open.. perhaps I'm not being fair to them because I'm using my "Spanish standards" to compare... I made great acquiantances and friends in the last years here... and they were mostly foreigners. Only 1 was actually German and from Berlin...

2. Berlin was fun when I was a bit younger and wilder, all this meditation has made me fond of solitude, reading and small gatherings. I blame NB and How for this (Haha).

3. Rent was getting crazy expensive. I mean, I left Madrid because it was crazy expensive and now I get the same but with worse much more expensive groceries and harsher, colder weather. Nein danke!

I will miss their forests though and all the friends I made here :( Sorry if it was too long.

Remember @コチシカ

Wherever 'you' go...There 'you' are

BunksKotishkalobster
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited August 2021

@Shoshin1

Quite right! Funny enough I met a German man two days ago from the DDR and we are now talking and watching the birds in the lake eat. Hahaha! Timings in life can be curious...

Shoshin1
  • Just thought this was worth sharing...

(Health) food for thought...

Kotishkalobsterhow
  • Beautiful rainbow this afternoon....

BunksFosdick
  • THe hummingbirds like our frees.

BunksShoshin1lobster
  • Hmm where would you end up if you tunnelled straight down...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin1 said:
    Hmm where would you end up if you tunnelled straight down...

In the drink, a few nautical miles off the Island of Moto Ipuhuku (Campbell Island).

• In the south of Spain not too far from Olvera, Olvera has a similar population to the island too....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:

I follow the Colorado Rockies.

Sox are having a bit of an up and down season... they just went 4-11 in 15 games but then swept the orioles and are now playing the yankees

Bunks

@Kerome said:

@Bunks said:

I follow the Colorado Rockies.

Sox are having a bit of an up and down season... they just went 4-11 in 15 games but then swept the orioles and are now playing the yankees

I must admit I haven’t taken much notice this year. The play offs must start soon yeah?
    Good to see the EPL back. I follow Newcastle but have a soft spot for newly promoted Brentford. I played cricket there when I lived in London

• Beautiful rain cloud on this afternoon's walk... ready to drop its load....

lobsterJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    I must admit I haven’t taken much notice this year. The play offs must start soon yeah?

Beginning of October usually. There are another 50 or so games in the regular season. I do hope the Sox hold on to a play-off spot, they had such a good start to the season but they are now slumping. They lost both games of yesterday’s double header against the Yankees.

Good to see the EPL back. I follow Newcastle but have a soft spot for newly promoted Brentford. I played cricket there when I lived in London.

I have to say there is a big difference between the EPL these days and when I was following it intensely back in the 1990’s. The pressing, the tackles, the ball control… standards have improved massively.

@Kerome said:
    I have to say there is a big difference between the EPL these days and when I was following it intensely back in the 1990’s. The pressing, the tackles, the ball control… standards have improved massively.

So true! We have the A-League in Australia and I try to follow it as I think it’s important to have our own football competition.
    But a lot of football lovers here say they can’t stomach it because they follow the EPL and the skill levels between the two comps are chalk and cheese.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

12 new members approved within the last month. Not a single peep from any one of them. sigh

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Can you tell if they at least lurk or are these just membership collectors?

Bunks

I find that so odd. You wouldn’t go to the trouble of setting up a membership if you didn’t want to actually do something with it.

Bunks
    edited August 2021

@how said:
    Can you tell if they at least lurk or are these just membership collectors?

I can see "Who's online"... that is to say, members who don't actually log out, but just pop in and out without having to sign in every time... so I should be able to 'see' any member who's in. No new names have cropped up at all.
    ETA: Ironically, as I write, I'm the only member who's in!

@Kerome said: I find that so odd. You wouldn’t go to the trouble of setting up a membership if you didn’t want to actually do something with it.

I know...Right?!

Bunks
    edited August 2021

I might write them all emails, saying

"So glad you've joined, but we haven't seen you come in! Please take the plunge and get to know the regulars - we're really nice and friendly, of course! Pop in and introduce yourself - is there anything you'd like to talk about? Happy to help!"

Bunks

I smell a rat…

Shoshin1

@federica said:
    I might write them all emails, saying

"So glad you've joined, but we haven't seen you come in! Please take the plunge and get to know the regulars - we're really nice and friendly, of course! Pop in and introduce yourself - is there anything you'd like to talk about? Happy to help!"

I did this! And @Relentlessseeker replied! How great is that?!

BunksRelentlessseeker
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2021

@riverflow said:
    I AM OUT OF TOILET PAPER!!!!11!!1!!!!!!

posted in 2013 before the pandemic …
    Welcome @Relentlessseeker

BunksShoshin1Relentlessseeker
  • RelentlessseekerRelentlessseeker Dallas New
    edited August 2021

Hello all and thank you. My apologies for being idle, it is beautiful to be here.

BunksShoshin1

@Relentlessseeker said:
    Hello all and thank you. My apologies for being idle, it is beautiful to be here.

Hi @Relentlessseeker, nice to have you here among us. We’ll be happy to help.

Relentlessseeker
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited August 2021

Yes I/we have no hot water...I/we have no hot water today...

When travelling through South East Asia I got use to having a Mandy ...a bucket of water and a ladle to scoop the water out and pour it over my head...
    So this morning after my jolk, I had to boil water in a couple of pots put into a bucket and had a Mandy...
    The landlord's attempting to find and fix the problem...The hot water for my place is from a gas cylinder connection, he's trying to figure out what the problem is....

edited August 2021

Beautiful 'lockdown' full moon this evening and it's quite cold...

Good news the landlord's fixed the hot water...

lobsterBunksKotishka

It's strange, all of a sudden all these people change what they do, the picture on the streets completely changes, and its basically in response to what's in the mind. People have been so drastically affected by the covid pandemic, but the numbers who have actually had covid are quite a bit lower than those who have gone out of their way to avoid it.

@Shoshin1 said:
    Yes I/we have no hot water...I/we have no hot water today...

When travelling through South East Asia I got use to having a Mandy ...a bucket of water and a ladle to scoop the water out and pour it over my head...
    So this morning after my jolk, I had to boil water in a couple of pots put into a bucket and had a Mandy...
    The landlord's attempting to find and fix the problem...The hot water for my place is from a gas cylinder connection, he's trying to figure out what the problem is....

Sabotage, by Wim Hof. You're welcome!

Shoshin1Bunks
  • It's funny how thankful for the little creature comforts we can become....like a refreshing cold shower on a hot summer's day, or a hot warming shower on a cold winter's day...

Fortunately we are adaptable creatures and can for the most part adapt to new situations...Survival instinct kicks in ....

Change is inevitable...Suffering optional

Bunkslobster
    edited August 2021

The village this afternoon, a few people out exercising, walking along the beach...The village itself was relatively empty...

Home now and just waiting for the latest news from Jacinda (the PM) to see how long we'll be in level four retreat lockdown for...

Well just heard NZ will be in level four until Friday the 27th August, however Auckland will be stay at level four until Tuesday the 31st...

Bunks

Stay safe @Shoshin1

Shoshin1
  • Thanks @Bunks ...no doubt the lockdown will be extended again as the numbers rise...

Bunks
  • Well for part of my jolk, I've started to run backwards, only for around half a km, on a quiet stretch of road going towards Owhanake bay with hardly any traffic, (humans or vehicles) ... I just like a change of scenery...seeing where I've been

Anyhow this morning I passed a couple walking in the opposite directions...the guy laughed and said "When I first saw you in the distance I thought my wife and I were walking really fast and catching up to you...until we got closer"...😄

I guess I must look quite strange going backwards, but then I'm a weirdo...often I'll read a book when walking .. which attracts lots of strange looks from passers-by....

lobster
  • @Shoshin1
    I knew the world champion backward jogger. Never seemed weird. Seems a useful skill, I sometimes walk backwards a few steps to see what is behind. Some joggers run sideways for a while, tried that, to use different muscles.

meanwhile …
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotan_Baba

Shoshin1Bunks
    edited August 2021

Yes I've found it beneficial for both body and mind...and because it's a quiet stretch of road I don't look behind me when I run backwards I just look at the lines on the centre of the road to keep on track...
    And I haven't looked back since ;);)

Bunkslobster
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Ah, inspiration! Maybe my own bloody knees will work better in reverse gear.

Shoshin1

I have enough trouble with forward motion, let alone trying it backwards! Really miss having 2 good legs! Ah well, I suppose it's better than having just the one! :D

Shoshin1BunkslobsterFosdick
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited August 2021

Preliminary results seem to indicate that going backwards is even harder than going forwards. Going sideways looks more promising, but I'll have to test it over a distance greater than the length of the hallway.

Shoshin1Bunks
  • When I first started going backwards I was doing 20/30 metres at a time, this was all I could handle, but after a while I became more comfortable/confident and began to stretch the distance...This morning I did around a km, not all in one go, split into three parts...

I think people are starting to think I'm a bit backward 😉 🙃

• Found Perry the Platypus sequestered in the cubby. Those budget cuts are fierce.

edited August 2021

Lockdown lunch, carrot, mushroom, tomatoes, red and green capsicum, olives, sunflower and pumpkin seeds...washed down with home made fruit tea...made with dates, cranberries, ginger, sultanas, raisins & goji berries ...

lobsterKotishka

Looks far too healthy for me @Shoshin1 :)

Please enjoy

Shoshin1
  • @Bunks said:
    Looks far too healthy for me @Shoshin1 :)

Please enjoy

Thanks @Bunks ...it was yummy, I also had a square of Whitakker's dark (72%) fruit & nut chocolate....to round things off...

Bunkslobster

Nice.

I have put on about 5 kgs since lockdowns started last year. The fridge has become my best friend :)

• Your worst enemy could be your best friend
    and your best friend your worst enemy

~The late great Bob Marley~

Bunks
  • We had reduced sugar ice cream. With nectarine and satsuma. It was lovely. Not had ice cream for a couple of years … what a treat!

Very impressed with @Shoshin1 dietary intake. <3

Just for the record:

• breakfast: bircher muesli with fresh raspberries, cinnamon, organic oats etc
    • lunch: rice with mixed veg stir-fry. I had small portion [good lobster] but seconds and … thirds [bad lobster]
    • tea: salad with ice cream mentioned above

In other exciting news: My sister brought some flowers and bulbs for the garden. Already planted half … Cyclamen, winter pansies, chrysanthemums, daffs.

Shoshin1

Thanks for the inspiration @lobster :)

edited August 2021

Our Covid-19 response minister Chris Hipkins is pretty laidback....

Perhaps a little too laidback 😁 😁

federicaBunks