Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Taoism ...Go with the flow "Be Like Water"

Hmm...Water makes up around 60 to 70 percent of our body weight...So...

So the next time somebody calls you a drip...take it as a compliment 😎

BunksJeroenlobster

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It's interesting, Bruce Lee's take on being like water is a lot more energetic than what most Taoists are portrayed as.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited September 2021

I just watched the Einzelgänger video on Taoism and being like water, I found it quite a good explanation of the passages in the Tao Te Ching, and very relaxing. It’s an interesting YouTube channel too with a good section on Buddhism.

People often mention that Ch'an (Zen) has a background of ideas from Tao, but this idea of being soft like water doesn't seem to have made it across. Same with a lot of the other ideas about nature which are in Tao.

Shoshin1
  • Another take....

Shoshin1
  • Sadly Bruce Lee was a mixture of mainly fire and air. Burning himself out.

More earthing, water and wisdom/spirit and we might still have the dragon with us … :(
    https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/the-mystery-of-the-five-elements-part-one

edited September 2021

Bruce Lee was actually a pretty unique individual as a martial artist and a philosopher. I always liked his wisdom a lot. I was watching some videos on his thinking, such as when he said that “the perfect technique is no technique” after fighting people from different traditions.

• 'Great Yin overcomes Great Yang’

Softness always yields. Who can do this? No one who is right. So how to be wrong in the right way? By allowing the water to flow from others rights …

Examples?

Shoshin1
  • At times @lobster you can be such a drip :)

lobster

I was thinking more of “the easy way is the right way.” But “be like water, my friend” is more than only that, it also includes the persistence of water. Water never stops.

A longer interview with Bruce Lee (restored footage):

Shoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited September 2021

The Shaolin monk training...

or is it...

But it’s the BBC, how could it not be real?

Shoshin1
  • It a shame, the BBC used to be the place to go for news....