Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Recent thinking on the evolution of man is advancing apace, did you know there are now about 1000 primitive man and early ape fossils? Just saw a fascinating docu on the subject.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

We just had an earth tremor! Think I was the only person who didn’t feel it haha 😂

WalkerShoshin1
  • Yes @Bunks, I'm just watching the news now, a 5. something quake hits Melbourne, with some buildings being damaged....

Bunks

@Shoshin1 said:
    Yes @Bunks, I'm just watching the news now, a 5. something quake hits Melbourne, with some buildings being damaged....

Yeah so far it appears the damage was minimal and no one hurt which is good. Messaged my friend who lives near the epicentre and all ok there too 🙏❤️

WalkerShoshin1Jeroen
  • Any aftershocks yet ? Or tsunami warnings?

@Shoshin1 said:
    Any aftershocks yet ? Or tsunami warnings?

Aftershocks yes but tsunami warnings no

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I had a dream last night in which I was cutting up a dead human body, putting it in plastic bags and hiding it in a hotel. Gruesome.

BunksWalkerShoshin1
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Note to self - don't go out for drinks with Jeroen!

JeroenShoshin1
    edited September 2021

It’s strange, because normally I never have dreams like that. On a certain level, I found it stressful and distressing. But my dreams are often adventurous, which is also stressful in a more pleasant way.

But I can see how some people might find it offputting. Don’t worry, I’m not about to turn into Dexter.

Still I wonder if I would have reacted in the same way to cutting up a dead animal. I rather suspect it wouldn’t have been that different.

WalkerBunksShoshin1
  • Don’t worry, I’m not about to turn into Dexter.

That's what Dexter said ;);)

WalkerBunksJeroenlobster
  • Well lots of rain early this morning and now the wind's picking up...Plus the power went out, came back on a couple of hours later, but only yo certain parts of the dwelling....Now waiting for the landlord to fix it...

WalkerBunks

@Jeroen said:
    The Red Sox are managing to stick around in the playoff spots of the AL, much to my surprise. It's a close race but they might make it to one of the Wild Card places.

Just watching them now against the Mets. 2-0 up bottom of the first.

What’s with the yellow tops today?

Never change a winning colour, I’m told. But not such a fan of the canary yellow myself.

Bunks
  • Hello Spring...This afternoon's walk along the beach....

It bucketed down as I was walking home, as I got to my door, it stopped and the sun was trying to break through the clouds...

BunksWalker
  • Summer is just around the corner...It's been quite warm today, this morning was around 18C when jolking...(Sorry for the poor quality... taken with my old jolking phone camera)

WalkerBunkslobster
  • Walked into the village to buy some chocolate (I'm trying to shrink my clothes)...
    Anyhow I walked pass what use to be the old police station...

It's now a boutique...
    When my sister and cousin came to visit me back in 2005 (It was still a police station back then) we were walking pass and I pointed it out to them and they cracked up laughing, because on the door was a closed sign...It was open from 8am to 4pm...that when the crooks were active ;);)

BunksWalker

Apparently in Germany there was an attack om atm machines and when the police wanted to go take a look they found the crooks had locked the main gates to the local compound and no cars could get out…

Has anyone seen the trial episode of Foundation on Apple TV+? I thought it was rather good…

• if you have any concerns regarding the current capacity of your ship (aka: Earth), please contact Station Z-23058yx in the Western quadrant via substation Alpha C.
    the number is 765 876n 4564 876 9765 97 432 76 9 on the GalWeb.
    Be advised, you need to pack a lunch as it takes some time for a response due to procedural and routing requirements. Upon contact, you will be provided and required to complete and sign12 to 18 forms in triplicate, in the proper order.
    Upon completion, the forms will be forwarded to the remedial application/assessment dept. Expect a swift reply of 7 to 9 months. Expect further delays if the Dept has any corrections or questions.

Your local sanitation department looks forward to your continued patronage.

It has been a pleasure doing business with you.
    Have a nice day.

Yah. some days seem like that.

Peace to all

• @Jeroen said:
    Has anyone seen the trial episode of Foundation on Apple TV+? I thought it was rather good…

I fell asleep.
    They intend to do an 80 hour series … It would be quicker to read the original Asimov trilogy a few times …

@lobster said:

@Jeroen said:

I fell asleep.
    They intend to do an 80 hour series … It would be quicker to read the original Asimov trilogy a few times …

It was a bit slow-moving, but good sci fi is focussed on ideas rather than action. I would like to see the rest of it sometime though, so I think I will end up paying for a few months of subscription.

• Some years ago I had a lucid dream where I was a bird of prey flying over a desert, I could feel the wind, see sand dunes, sandstone buildings and people and animals moving around ...It was an amazing experience which is etched into my memory...

This short video clip I found on youtube.... reminds me of the experience...

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Hi, I'm back.

As you were.

@federica said:
    Hi, I'm back.

As you were.

Welcome! I hope you had a nice break mate.

• After work I did my supermarket shopping and came across these new plant based
    burgers, (there are quite a few on the market, however I haven't tried these)...

so I'm just having a burger for dinner...

Bunks

Yes, I have found as far as trying to replicate meat, plant based burgers are usually pretty good.

If anyone can find plant based minced meat (can’t recall what Americans call it?) or sausages that are half decent I’ll be impressed.

Shoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited September 2021

Well the burger was quite yummy...
    Have you tried these @Bunks ..

If anyone can find plant based minced meat (can’t recall what Americans call it?)

Do you mean Textured Vegetable Protein mince made from soy beans ?

@Shoshin1 said:

If anyone can find plant based minced meat (can’t recall what Americans call it?)

Do you mean Textured Vegetable Protein mince made from soy beans ?

Yes, I believe that's the one

Shoshin1

I quite like tofu fried in a little olive oil and soy sauce. Not meat like but delicious.

BunksShoshin1

@Jeroen said:
    I quite like tofu fried in a little olive oil and soy sauce. Not meat like but delicious.

Same - some people despise tofu though!

Mrs Walker really enjoyed the Kirkland Garden Burgers that Costco used to sell. I don't know why they discontinued them. We buy the Dr Praeger's brand now. She also likes Field Roast brand sausages.

I use the burgers as a base for a meatless shepherd's pie for her, just cut them up and fry like you would brown lamb or beef. I use the Field Roast sausages in meatless chilis and stews, just cut them into chunks and brown them to get a crust to form on the outside so they don't fall apart while stewing.

Shoshin1

Quorn can be quite nice too, and they do a mince.

Shoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said:
    Yes, I have found as far as trying to replicate meat, plant based burgers are usually pretty good.

If anyone can find plant based minced meat (can’t recall what Americans call it?) or sausages that are half decent I’ll be impressed.

I make my own with gluten flour and other ingredients. My brother who has been vegan for a year now, nearly fainted with delight at how delicious my fake steak was.

Shoshin1

@Bunks said:

@federica said:
    Hi, I'm back.

As you were.

And yes, thanks, @Bunks, I had a very nice time, visiting a buddy down in Cornwall. Swam in the chilly sea and thoroughly enjoyed it!

lobsterShoshin1

@federica said:

@Bunks said:

@federica said:
    Hi, I'm back.

As you were.

And yes, thanks, @Bunks, I had a very nice time, visiting a buddy down in Cornwall. Swam in the chilly sea and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Cool! I like Cornwall.

I have ancestors from that part of the world (Dunstan/ Trevillien). I found a cottage near Redruth that one of them was born in around 1830.

I recall visiting Newquay and Mousehole (pron. Mao-zel) as well.

Shoshin1
  • @federica said:
    Hi, I'm back.

As you were.

You mean I can start misbehaving again? Hooray!

I rather like the look of the 'death cafe' at my local wisdom centre. Sadly may not be able to attend due to commitments …
    https://jamyang.co.uk/what-we-do

Glad you enjoyed your break. Most I can manage is watching travel videos in 4K from youtube. Some are most relaxing …

I noticed that Chögyam Trungpa’s book Cutting through Spiritual Materialism is now available as a pdf through various internet archives.

KotishkaBunks
  • A flame tree, lighting up....

BunksWalkerlobster

@Shoshin1 said:
    A flame tree, lighting up....

Shoshin1Walker

New extreme close up photography mode on the new iPhone (which I don’t have yet, but am tempted to get). I’ve been paging through other people’s photographs, it’s pretty interesting what the tiny world looks like when it’s close and personal…

BunksWalkerShoshin1Kotishka
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2021

Well it was rainy, overcast, warm and quite humid on my jolk this morning...

I saw a random act of kindness on my journey...as I approached the top end of my road, which leads down to the beach, a mother duck and her babies where slowly making their way across the road and there was a young guy who had stopped his vehicle on the road got out and took on the role of lollypop man and patiently waited to make sure no other cars would drive pass while the duck family were crossing...
    It's funny because when I saw the duck family, it was my intention to do the same thing, be the lollypop lady, but this kind young man beat me to it...

BunkslobsterWalker

Of course, you guys are coming into your Spring, aren't you?

Bunks

@federica said:
    Of course, you guys are coming into your Spring, aren't you?

Yes, we just put the clocks forward an hour on the weekend. Bring on summer! Feels like it’s been a long, cold, lonely winter.

edited October 2021

Speaking of changing clocks...

Municipal elections are on October 18th. The province is also posing two referendum questions the same day, one of which is whether Alberta should remain on daylight savings time year-round.

I'd rather be on standard time year-round, but it's not an option I can vote for. I think I'll vote in favour anyways, I really don't like making the adjustment twice a year. Just leave the damn clocks alone!

BunksShoshin1

I love that hedgehog. Very sweet animals.

Shoshin1

What makes you think it's a "miss"...?