Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Three week Daily Awareness Course

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hello dear Dhamma friends

Today is the beginning of a three week daily awareness course being undertaken with another online Sangha.

Each day I'll paste "homework" for you to focus on for that day.

Feel free to join in each day or whenever time permits.....

Shoshin1SuraShineDavidJeroen

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Day 1

Through out the day, please practice doing "one thing at a time" and focus only on that during the activity OR choose at least 5 separate activities / actions, each of which you intend to do with continuous, mindful awareness.

SuraShinelobsterRen_in_black
  • Ah ha!
    Thought I might join for day 22 B)
    by watching the documentary video meditating Medicating Normal
    https://medicatingnormal.com/

As Sunday is a day of rest, I am mindfully going out for my homework …

One step beyond …

BunksKotishka
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Thanks for these @Bunks, a little extra encouragement to be mindful cannot go astray.

Bunks
    edited October 2021

Day 2

Appreciate at least 5 "good things" that you already have right now AND be thankful for 5 other "good things" that you will receive today.

For me, the things I already have::

1. My health
    2. My children's health
    3. The Dhamma
    4. Economic stability
    5. Spring

And I will receive today:

1. The opportunity to serve my employer (and clients)
    2. Good food
    3. My car being serviced
    4. The benefits of my Nianfo practice
    5. Conversations with my friends and family
    Shoshin1lobsterWalker
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2021

I have so many things to be thankful for...

Daily Dharma Practice (including meditation)
    Roof over my head
    Food and clean water to drink
    Relatively good health
    Shared love of family and friends

The benefits which come from having a daily Dharma Practice (including meditation)
    The benefits which come from having a roof over my head
    The benefits which come from having food to eat and clean water to drink
    The benefits which come from having relatively good health
    The benefits which come from having the shared love of family and friends

BunkslobsterWalker
  • @Bunks said:
    Day 2

Appreciate at least 5 "good things" that you already have right now AND be thankful for 5 other "good things" that you will receive today.

Ah ha …
    Easy ones first …

5 good things

1. Ipad and techno
    2. Health and life
    3. Food, shelter and heating. Winter she creeps forward.
    4. Me, I think I have me … wait … maybe not … 🤪
    5. Nature. Went to Nymans (National Trust) yesterday. Saw many rare flowers, European hornets …

5 other "good things" that you will receive today

Wot? What am I, a profit/prophet?

• No idea
    • Change
    • Surprise
    • Ah ha
    • Metta <3
    WalkerShoshin1Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said:
    Day 2

The Good things:
    My family,close to me.
    A husband who, although trying at times, gives me the opportunity to be my own boss...
    My precious dog
    Some really good friends,seen and unseen,
    I'm upright, breathing and above ground...

5 Good things I'll receive:
    Running water for my shower;
    Light & heat at the flick of a switch;
    Rain and wind, which mark the changes of seasons and days;
    Time. Time to proceed in my day and do things that need doing;
    A cup of tea.

Walker
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited October 2021

@Bunks said:
    Day 2

What I have…
    1. My trusty iPad with which to surf the net
    2. My father, who I am visiting
    3. The sunlight which is warming me
    4. My socks
    5. The pdf copy of Chögyam Trungpa’s Cutting through Spiritual Materialism which I am reading

What I will be receiving…
    1. My coffee
    2. The company of my fathers good friend Barend and his music
    3. A short beachwalk in the afternoon
    4. The fresh air I will breathe all day long
    5. The dharma

BunksWalker

Day 3

As you go through the day, try impartially observing the mind to see what kind of emotions come up (as automatic responses) as you perceive sounds, images, news or interacting with people. Pay particular attention to the things that bother you.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said:
    Day 3

As you go through the day, try impartially observing the mind to see what kind of emotions come up (as automatic responses) as you perceive sounds, images, news or interacting with people. Pay particular attention to the things that bother you.

Funnily enough, this was something I practised today... it now being 19:45 here in the UK. (No, not the year, the time...I know we're a backward lot, but even so...)
    Something bothered me today, and after examining why it was bothering me, I stopped being bothered by it. Felt satisfying...

Bunks
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

The guy that drives the fart-can equipped Honda triggered extreme annoyance today. But then I remembered at least I don't live next-door to him. lol

BunksShoshin1

See? There's always a plus side!

Walker
  • As you go through the day, try impartially observing the mind to see what kind of emotions come up (as automatic responses) as you perceive

sounds,

can hear plane … now that you mention it. Emotion? … mmm … indifferent

images

All mirages. We all have an image not worth projecting. Emotion … mmm … indifferent

news

not watched yet. Emotion … bound to be anger, mirth at ridiculous behaviour

interacting with people. Pay particular attention to the things that bother you.

ah ha … they generate strong emotion, ranging from for to against.

JeroenShoshin1Bunks

Haha @lobster

By coincidence, I have just been watching the wonderful Catherine Tate in the American version of The Office.

Day 4

As you go through the day today you will encounter situations and things you do not like. Choose 3 to 5 of these and look for their "bright side" i.e. when you look closely can you see anything "good" or useful within the things you do not like?

Shoshin1

I know for me these situations and things are fuel that keep me coming back to my practice. If life were easy and no suffering existed, then would there be any need for the Dhamma? Would I be interested?

Jeroen
    edited October 2021

The interesting thing @Bunks is, there are those who only practice when a heavy dose of Dukkha hits the fan and when it passes ( nothing is permanent) so it would seem does their practice...

Thus have I heard the best frame of mind to practice is when in the best frame of mind...In other words...it's important to be diligent and not to slacken off when life seems pleasant...

Which reminds me of Goenka's little rhyme...

"It's easy to smile and be pleasant when one's life flows along like some sweet song
    But a person worthwhile is the one who can still wear a smile when things in their life go all wrong"

From what I gather there's always something to be learnt from any situation deemed wholesome or unwholesome, so that's a positive thing...

Bunkslobster
  • Well said @Shoshin1

… strangely enough adversity is a blessing … and ease is a curse

However do not search for adversity, she is around every corner as is the smoothing path of the Middle Way.

BunksShoshin1

@Bunks said:
    I know for me these situations and things are fuel that keep me coming back to my practice. If life were easy and no suffering existed, then would there be any need for the Dhamma? Would I be interested?

It’s inherent in being alive I think. Even animals have goals in their behaviour, and so have the dhukkha of unsatisfactoriness.

Bunks

Day 5

Practice accepting things as they are without overreacting, complaining or pushing them away with these two types of experiences:

1. When you face something unpleasant (practice with at least 3 different situations / things), and;
    2. when any negative feelings or thinking arises within you (try to practice with at least 3 different moments that this occurs).
    federica

Today I will both work full time plus try and home school two kids.

So the unpleasant experiences will definitely arise....already feeling them just contemplating it :)

federicalobster
  • Practice accepting things as they are

• How are they? No idea … wait that is an over reaction. I am over it …
    • There are things? Quite possibly … wait that might be a reaction … Come to that … Existence might just be reaction …
    • I accept Nothing.

Another successful day of existence (allegedly)

Day 6

Today, in at least three different actions or instances aside from what you do regularly, try filling your heart with the happiness of helping others, sharing happiness with those around you or doing something for the public good.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2021

Daze 6

1. Please send me metta enabling metta, puja blessing, dedication of merit. This is a lobster special service. Ok that's number one done.
    2. My heart is full. I am sending it to everyone who has done the first servicing.
    3. I am going to share a joke … you lucky people …

BunksWalker

Day 7

Today, try "eating mindfully" by eating and slowly and deliberately without rushing and setting aside and not engaging in other tasks while eating. When you get lost in thoughts, just recognise it quickly and bring your attention back to eating so "where your body is, your mind is there too" continuously. Try and eat in this relaxed way at least once or perhaps several times today.

Shoshin1
  • Thanks @Bunks ...

Bunks

Day 8

Today, try offering a "welcoming smile" for whatever happens including things you don't like (eg traffic jams, loud noises, hot / cold weather, the news, work, etc).
    Then compare what kind of responses you do more smiling or complaining about (complaining either out loud or just internally).

Shoshin1

This is a nice set of "Things to do" and I look forward to new and daily 'challenges'...

Bunks

Yeah I’m enjoying it too! Took the kids out today and I needed quite a few welcoming smiles! Haha bless em

Shoshin1

Day 9

In yesterday's exercise, if you found that your response to things you don't like was smiling less than complaining, please today continue to practice a "welcoming smile" so you can perhaps smile more than yesterday (including just smiling internally in the heart). The more you can smile than complain the better!

Shoshin1lobster
  • Like this..

Bunks
  • On a more serious note....

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2021

tee hee …
    Glad the smile was extended by the monkery …

Had a day out at Claremont Gardens
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/claremont-landscape-garden

Visited the grotto. One of the attractions. Bit muddy. Luckily I was wearing my working boots. So went in to get a picture of the lake. First steps in, not too muddy at all. In deeper. The fearless crustacean ended up sinking into orange coloured mud and laughing all the way back to the safe path. :mrgreen:

Adversity, muddy trousers and boots. I can not smile, laughter has overtaken me …

Today, try "eating mindfully" by eating and slowly and deliberately without rushing and setting aside and not engaging in other tasks while eating.

Pah! Was trying to feed health cake to a friendly robin, when it was pointed out that we should not feed the wildlife … Let them eat worms?

Walker
    edited October 2021

Day 10

Give your body and mind a rest by making today a "day of mindfulness": live mindfully, do things with awareness in a relaxed way. Do not rush or get lost in thoughts.

WalkerShoshin1

We're going to start building a wheelchair ramp today.

Being mindful is good advice when using power tools!

federicaBunksShoshin1lobster

@Walker said:
    We're going to start building a wheelchair ramp today.

Being mindful is good advice when using power tools!

Measure it twice lad; You'll only be cutting it the once....

BunksWalker

Ha ha.

Like my Grandpa used to say, 'I cut this damn board twice, and it's still too short!'

BunksShoshin1lobster
  • Give your body and mind a rest

I won't bother. Job done!

Bunks

Day 11

Today, try and fill yourself with inner happiness by looking for "good things" around you as you go through the day. Look for at least 10 "good things".

Shoshin1
    1. The dark (it is early morning)
    2. Light
    3. Time
    4. numbers
    5. fingers
    6. goats (none about but they make me smile)
    7. letters (put together we have words)
    8. breakfast
    9. fox (she is doing her morning call)
    10. nature

Another day of spiritual perceptions/practices done!

BunksWalkerShoshin1
    1. Wife
    2. Father-in-law
    3. Mother-in-law
    4. cat
    5. warm house
    6. good food and fellowship over Thanksgiving
    7. chance to enjoy a daily walk
    8. birds (blue jays and robins in the backyard and geese congregating for their migration)
    9. brother (today was his 60th birthday)
    10. technology (bit of a double-edged sword that one, but I do see the benefits)
    Shoshin1Bunks
    1. Coffee
    2. Father
    3. Sunlight
    4. Breakfast
    5. The morning evacuation of the bowels
    6. iPad
    7. Family
    8. Shower
    9. Apple presentations
    10. Fresh breeze
    BunksWalker

Day 12

Today, set your intention to practice “mindful speaking”. Refrain from talking about things that have no meaning or importance, refrain from ignoring listeners, try not to speak from strong emotions and refrain from saying things you may regret later.

Day 13

Yesterday you practiced mindful talking, so today, practice “mindful listening” by listening with your full attention and trying not to allow your mind to wander off. Do not do other things while listening (e.g. looking at phone, texting etc)

edited October 2021

This morning the ocean and Mother Nature spoke to me and I listened carefully/mindfully to what was on their mind...occasionally my thoughts would try to butt in, but I paid them no mind...

Bunks

@Shoshin1 said:
    This morning the ocean and Mother Nature spoke to me and I listened carefully/mindfully to what was on their mind...occasionally my thoughts would try to butt in, but I paid them no mind...

You’re on form today @Shoshin1 !

Bunks

Day 14

Today, please spread happiness to the people around you by smiling. Start at home with your family and then with friends, coworkers, along with other people you encounter e.g. cashiers etc

Shoshin1
  • Day 14

Wot another week of practice?
    I'll do Know/no more …

Another failed practitioner! Hooray! Back to the beginners corner with me … =)

BunksWalkerShoshin1

Day 15

There will be numerous good things things that you encounter today. Choose 10 and make a note of them.

Shoshin1lobster