Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All things Sport(s)

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi all

This thread is for my fellow sport(s) enthusiasts to discuss what's happening in the wide world of sports.

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

This has me a little bit excited.

After some years of negotiations, it looks like my beloved NUFC can finally get out from under the ownership of Mike Ashley. Not a popular figure.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-takeover-live-latest-21783334

Alex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said:
    Hi all

This thread is for my fellow sport(s) enthusiasts to discuss what's happening in the wide world of sports.

Well done mate! Up the Bunks!!

Bunkslobster

@Bunks said:

After some years of negotiations, it looks like my beloved NUFC can finally get out from under the ownership of Mike Ashley. Not a popular figure.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-takeover-live-latest-21783334

Glad to see the Newcastle fans not getting ahead of themselves....hehe

Hopefully St Louis will get over the LA Dodgers in the MLB today......

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Well, if you're a native @lobster , then I guess it's ok for you to be roaming around. Otherwise they'd have to track down whoever released you and fine them. :p

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited October 2021

I follow sports a bit, and will happily contribute…

@Bunks said:

Not much chance. I saw a little of the game but the pitching was good and the offences were locked down tight, so very low scoring. So I went to bed after a couple of innings. But I did see the highlights this morning, close 1-3 victory for the Dodgers.

But then the dodgers had been something like 15 games better than the Cardinals during the regular season, that’s quite a gap in class between a team winning 100 games and a team winning 85.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:

Aha so you are a Newcastle United fan! I follow a few English teams because of the Dutch players, like Liverpool with Virgil van Dijk, and some golden oldies, Manchester United with Jaap Stam and Ruud van Nistelrooy, Chelsea with Ruud Gullit, Arsenal with Dennis Bergkamp and Marc Overmars. There’s some rich history of Dutch players being in the Premier League.

And also I like to keep tabs on Southampton because I lived there for a while.

@Jeroen said:

@Bunks said:

Aha so you are a Newcastle United fan! I follow a few English teams because of the Dutch players, like Liverpool with Virgil van Dijk, and some golden oldies, Manchester United with Jaap Stam and Ruud van Nistelrooy, Chelsea with Ruud Gullit, Arsenal with Dennis Bergkamp and Marc Overmars. There’s some rich history of Dutch players being in the Premier League.

And also I like to keep tabs on Southampton because I lived there for a while.

Yes, I’ve followed the Toon since the early 90’s. I had taken an interest in Liverpool before that but when Peter Beardsley moved across to Newcastle I went with him.
    It’s been a lean couple of decades but things may be about to get better. Apparently if this deal with new owners go through they’ll be the richest club in the Premier League. We will wait and see.
    Speaking of Dutch footballers, Guus Hiddink is held in very high regards in this part of the world. Got Australia into the second round of the 2006 World Cup. Something we’d never done before or since. “Aussie Guus” I think we call him hehe

Jeroen

@Jeroen said:
    I follow sports a bit, and will happily contribute…

@Bunks said:

Not much chance. I saw a little of the game but the pitching was good and the offences were locked down tight, so very low scoring. So I went to bed after a couple of innings. But I did see the highlights this morning, close 1-3 victory for the Dodgers.

But then the dodgers had been something like 15 games better than the Cardinals during the regular season, that’s quite a gap in class between a team winning 100 games and a team winning 85.

Yeah, walk off homer in the bottom of the ninth.
    I don’t like the Dodgers but in fairness they were the better team during the regular season so deserve to go through.

Amazing though that the starters were both such old guys. Wainwright for St Louis was 40, Max Scherzer for the Dodgers was 37. You hardly ever see that. I can only remember a couple of pitchers who stayed active beyond their age-36 season… Bartolo Colon, Randy Johnson, CC Sabathia.

Bunks

@Bunks said:
    It’s been a lean couple of decades but things may be about to get better. Apparently if this deal with new owners go through they’ll be the richest club in the Premier League. We will wait and see.

With rich owners usually good things come to football clubs. Look at what happened to Manchester City, once the poor relations of Manchester United, now competing for the highest honours of the champions league every year with a new stadium, stellar team and possibly the best manager in the world.

Speaking of Dutch footballers, Guus Hiddink is held in very high regards in this part of the world. Got Australia into the second round of the 2006 World Cup. Something we’d never done before or since. “Aussie Guus” I think we call him hehe

Yeah Guus has quite a cv, he managed a lot of countries and always got them to do well. Like when Korea were hosting, I think he managed them to the semi-finals which for an Asian country is a massive achievement. He is highly regarded in Holland as well.

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2021

Arsenal. A weird season ofups and downs.

An' that's awl I'm gonna say 'bout that.

@federica said:
    Arsenal. A weird season ofups and downs.

An' that's awl I'm gonna say 'bout that.

Yeah they haven’t had a great start to the year. Are they your team Fede?
    I’m still celebrating over here….
    https://www.themag.co.uk/2021/10/yasir-al-rumayyan-and-amanda-staveley-release-statement-after-newcastle-united-takeover/

Those bloody Tampa Bay Rays man. I’ve got a bad feeling about this series, they have been our kryptonite all year long.

Bunks

Someone just sent me this! Haha. Crazy

Jeroen

@Bunks said:

Classic! Maybe Newcastle will soon be the new Paris St Germain. But it will take a few years to build up a good team, that didn’t happen overnight for Manchester City either.

@Jeroen said:

@Bunks said:

Classic! Maybe Newcastle will soon be the new Paris St Germain. But it will take a few years to build up a good team, that didn’t happen overnight for Manchester City either.

Yeah, definitely patience required. But I think fans understand that.

Most of them just happy to see the back of Mike Ashley and get someone in with some ambition!

@Jeroen said:
    Those bloody Tampa Bay Rays man. I’ve got a bad feeling about this series, they have been our kryptonite all year long.

Good game unfolding here. 5-5 top of the 5th

edited October 2021

@Bunks said:

@Jeroen said:

Quality game (which I am still watching the replay of). 14-6 win, starters lasting just an inning or two, you don’t see such a high scoring game very often, props to Tanner Houck and the Boston bullpen for keeping the Rays under control.

But by winning a game in Tampa, sox have given themselves a chance to wrap things up at home in Fenway Park. The next two games in the series are in Boston so we will see.

Bunks

@Jeroen said:

@Bunks said:

@Jeroen said:

Quality game (which I am still watching the replay of). 14-6 win, starters lasting just an inning or two, you don’t see such a high scoring game very often, props to Tanner Houck and the Boston bullpen for keeping the Rays under control.

But by winning a game in Tampa, sox have given themselves a chance to wrap things up at home in Fenway Park. The next two games in the series are in Boston so we will see.

Yeah they played well….

@Jeroen said:

So far so good. Sox won the first game in Boston by the skin of their teeth. Walk off home run in the 13th inning, with a bullpen game next. But the sox used a starter, Nick Pivetta, to cover all the extra innings, so I think sox manager Alex Cora will be happy.

Bunks
    edited October 2021

So Red Sox managed to win the series 3-1 against the Rays, who looked very disappointed. But again a walk-off win, they managed to manufacture a run in the bottom of the ninth with a little small ball, bunts and a sac fly.

Next they go against the Astros, who are a pretty intimidating team loaded with talent. Then if they win that, a World Series against the best of the National League. Honestly I’m not so convinced of a good outcome, I think the Astros are the stronger team and pretty experienced, but you never know, take it one game at a time.

Bunks

My life has been consumed by the NUFC takeover in the last week.... :)

Jeroen

@Bunks said:

Yeah, I heard a few not-very-complimentary things about the new owners. But I think it has to be good for the club, we will see what they do over the coming years to rebuild the team and upgrade the facilities.

I thought the Giants v Dodgers finale, a deciding game 5 which was tied 1-1 going into the ninth inning, was a very tense affair. The giants can feel hard done by for losing 2-1 on a poor umpiring call when they had a man on base… anyway now Dodgers v Braves to decide the NL.

Bunks

@Jeroen said:

@Bunks said:

Yeah, I heard a few not-very-complimentary things about the new owners. But I think it has to be good for the club, we will see what they do over the coming years to rebuild the team and upgrade the facilities.

Yes! Saudi Arabia has a poor human rights record. And the Chairman of the investment fund is believed to have ordered the murder of a journalist a few years ago.

That said, with globalisation, if we scratch the surface you could argue we are all connected to countries and regimes with unsavoury practices.

Attacking Newcastle fans (as some human rights campaigners have done) is kind of ridiculous. We had no say in Mike Ashley being the owner (14 years of misery) and we have no say in the Saudi PIF being the owners.

@Jeroen said:
    So Red Sox managed to win the series 3-1 against the Rays, who looked very disappointed. But again a walk-off win, they managed to manufacture a run in the bottom of the ninth with a little small ball, bunts and a sac fly.

Next they go against the Astros, who are a pretty intimidating team loaded with talent. Then if they win that, a World Series against the best of the National League. Honestly I’m not so convinced of a good outcome, I think the Astros are the stronger team and pretty experienced, but you never know, take it one game at a time.

Wishing the Red Sox luck today! One of my best mates is a big fan. He'll be tuning in no doubt. Should be a good series.

• Hard weekend when you have to try o keep up with the All Black (maybe), English-Euro FB, American FB and Baseball and still get the chores done. Keep my beer cold and my BBQ Hot.
    Oh, did I mention Motocross, Sailing and Surfing?
    Decisions, Decisions Decisions..... =)

Just have fun and don't tear up the neighborhood too much.

BunksJeroenlobsterKotishka
  • I'm awaiting the NBA regular season and I want to see Steph Curry break the NBA record for career 3 pointers which he should do so long as he is not injured. Go Steph!

@Jeffrey said:
    I'm awaiting the NBA regular season and I want to see Steph Curry break the NBA record for career 3 pointers which he should do so long as he is not injured. Go Steph!

Not a huge follower of the NBA but Ben Simmons gets a lot of press over here as he was born and raised in Melbourne. Sounds like he is not very popular though hehe

@Lionduck said:
    Hard weekend when you have to try o keep up with the All Black (maybe), English-Euro FB, American FB and Baseball and still get the chores done. Keep my beer cold and my BBQ Hot.
    Oh, did I mention Motocross, Sailing and Surfing?
    Decisions, Decisions Decisions..... =)

Just have fun and don't tear up the neighborhood too much.

All Blacks? Rugby?

• @Bunks
    Yes, Rugby.
    That begs the question: Is there more activity in a good Ruby scrim on or off the field?
    We already have a clear answer for off the field with Soccer, of course. =)=)

Bunks

@Bunks said:
    Wishing the Red Sox luck today! One of my best mates is a big fan. He'll be tuning in no doubt. Should be a good series.

A couple of grand slams were enough to help the Red Sox take the series to 1-1 all square, with three games in Boston coming up. The Astros are a tough team but we’re not going to make it easy for them, especially not if the well-timed home runs keep coming.

It’s anybody’s guess who will start game 3 for the Sox, Pivetta or even Houck.

Bunks

Up at 1am (ridiculous!) to watch the new era of Newcastle!

Howay the lads <3

Not as bad as me… waking up at 2 am after 5 hours of sleep to catch a bit of the Sox.

It ended up being Eduardo Rodriguez for the game 3 start. And the Sox became the first team in postseason history with 3 or more grand slams in one series, that’s pretty good news.

Bunks

@Jeroen said:
    Not as bad as me… waking up at 2 am after 5 hours of sleep to catch a bit of the Sox.

It ended up being Eduardo Rodriguez for the game 3 start. And the Sox became the first team in postseason history with 3 or more grand slams in one series, that’s pretty good news.

Good time for them to hit form with their offense!

edited October 2021

@Bunks said:
    Good time for them to hit form with their offense!

Exactly… this is the Boston team who were playing the first half of the season, then they had an extended slump in the second half. And now suddenly they look like the best postseason team! Alex Cora (the manager) is a wizard 🧙‍♂️

Bunks

I've been watching so many Newcastle United YT podcasts lately I have started to speak with a Geordie accent to myself.....

Howay the lads!!

Red Sox v Astros is all-square again at 2-2. The Red Sox blew the save from being 2-1 up in the eighth inning, and conceded 7 (!) runs in the ninth in pretty freakish fashion. There is no coming back from that, 9-2 the final score. Three more games in the series so they need to win one in Houston, where the final two games are played.

Arent you glad the postseason is only a few weeks every year?

@Jeroen said:
    Red Sox v Astros is all-square again at 2-2. The Red Sox blew the save from being 2-1 up in the eighth inning, and conceded 7 (!) runs in the ninth in pretty freakish fashion. There is no coming back from that, 9-2 the final score. Three more games in the series so they need to win one in Houston, where the final two games are played.

Arent you glad the postseason is only a few weeks every year?

Haha, sport is Dukkha!

Jeroen

@Bunks said:
    Haha, sport is Dukkha!

That’s not bad @bunks, not bad at all.

• @Bunks said:

@Jeffrey said:
    I'm awaiting the NBA regular season and I want to see Steph Curry break the NBA record for career 3 pointers which he should do so long as he is not injured. Go Steph!

Not a huge follower of the NBA but Ben Simmons gets a lot of press over here as he was born and raised in Melbourne. Sounds like he is not very popular though hehe

I'm also a fan (along with Curry and Warriors) of the Nets with Kevin Durant, James Harden, and Kyrie (if he ever gets vaccinated and allowed to play). On the Nets is a good Australian player Patty Mills who looked good in the first regular season game last night. I'm not sure what's going on with Ben Simmons (of the Philadelphia 76ers)? I guess the issue is he's a star player but doesn't produce much in the playoffs in the fourth quarter of games when they are on the line?

Bunks
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@Bunks said:

Haha, sport is Dukkha!

Especially for Toronto Maple Leafs fans. :p

edited October 2021

@Jeffrey said:

@Bunks said:

@Jeffrey said:

I'm also a fan (along with Curry and Warriors) of the Nets with Kevin Durant, James Harden, and Kyrie (if he ever gets vaccinated and allowed to play). On the Nets is a good Australian player Patty Mills who looked good in the first regular season game last night. I'm not sure what's going on with Ben Simmons (of the Philadelphia 76ers)? I guess the issue is he's a star player but doesn't produce much in the playoffs in the fourth quarter of games when they are on the line?

Yeah, Patty Mills is a legend in Australia! There were great celebrations when he and the team won the bronze at the recent Olympics.

Feel a bit sorry for Man Utd fans at the minute - they are like chalk and cheese right now! From dreadful to brilliant in the one game.

At least Newcastle are just dreadful....you know what you will get :)

@Bunks said:
    Haha, sport is Dukkha!

Certainly it’s looking that way for the Red Sox. They lost another crucial game last night and now trail in the series 3-2, giving the Astros two chances to clinch the series at home in Houston. Troppo malé, as they say in Italy. That bullpen is just giving up too many runs, I don’t see the Sox coming back for an upset win.

Champions League has also been quite interesting, Ajax won 4-0 against Dortmund yesterday.

Bunks

@Bunks said:
    Feel a bit sorry for Man Utd fans at the minute - they are like chalk and cheese right now! From dreadful to brilliant in the one game.

At least Newcastle are just dreadful....you know what you will get :)

And Man Utd to play Liverpool next Sunday, if they perform like in the CL I doubt whether the result is going to be as good.

Bunks