Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

They're an endangered species in the UK and there's a huge drive to conserve them.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    They're an endangered species in the UK and there's a huge drive to conserve them.

<3

Unfortunately when humans arrived in Australia and NZ from Europe and the Pacific Islands, they brought with them animals that have devastated the flora and fauna that had evolved over millions of years. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Crazy isn't it? Pests in one place, treasured in another. Pigeons are a menace to buildingsin London. In some locations, sparrow hawks are deployed to keep their numbers in check. In Venice, they congregate by their thousands in St. Mark's Square, where they are protected...

• Apparently the new tenants of the flat I used to live in received a letter requesting me to pay 150euros due to an error in the rent bills they sent to me during the last 12months of my contract. The water was miscalculated...

Not happening though. Smells shady to me and I know those landlords are of that kind sadly...

lobster
  • Also, hedgehogs are amazing creatures. I think of them as people who had a very solitary practice and, having obtained all jhanas and knowledge, fell into arrogance...and inevitably obtained this karmic sentence and becoming these cute little spikey creatures <3

Notice all the huffing! Hermits <3

Shoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2021

Yes, they are in the habit of raiding ground nesting bird's nests and eating the eggs and some native insects...It's possible there's a family of them (hedgehogs) living by the garage...

And around mid morning I was making a cup of tea, and spotted a family of Pukeko having a feed on the drive...The baby ones are so cute...they dart into the bush when they see me...

WalkerlobsterFosdick
  • @federica said:
    What makes you think it's a "miss"...?

I don't... but miss had a nicer ring to it at that particular moment in time, when I posted the video....

federica
  • @コチシカ said:
    Apparently the new tenants of the flat I used to live in received a letter requesting me to pay 150euros due to an error in the rent bills they sent to me during the last 12months of my contract. The water was miscalculated...

Not happening though. Smells shady to me and I know those landlords are of that kind sadly...

Did the landlord send you a printout showing where the miscalculation occurred?

Assume you're watching the Red Sox @Jeroen ?

0-0 middle of the 1st

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:

0-0 middle of the 1st

Yeah I watched the game… the batting lineup was sharp today and the pitching managed to keep the Yankees in check, it was a deserved 6-2 victory in the end.

@Jeroen said:

@Bunks said:

0-0 middle of the 1st

Yeah I watched the game… the batting lineup was sharp today and the pitching managed to keep the Yankees in check, it was a deserved 6-2 victory in the end.

Yep, good win. Have to get over the Rays next which will be no easy task

• @Shoshin1

No, they did not :( Also, the end of lease agreement indicates that I left the property without any debts and having paid the rent fully during my stay.

They were not very good landlords -very greedy, never attended any of our requests when something was broken, etc- and I live in a different country now; so I hope they take this experience as an opportunity to meditate upon the three poisons :)

Shoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Yep, good win. Have to get over the Rays next which will be no easy task

Indeed, they have been the best team in the American League this year. But the postseason is different, it’s just one series while everyone is at their sharpest, and anything can happen.

We should open up a sport thread under general Banter, 'cos' most sport leaves me absolutely cold....

BunksJeroen

I like it @federica - will do

Jeroen
  • @コチシカ said:
    @Shoshin1

No, they did not :( Also, the end of lease agreement indicates that I left the property without any debts and having paid the rent fully during my stay.

They were not very good landlords -very greedy, never attended any of our requests when something was broken, etc- and I live in a different country now; so I hope they take this experience as an opportunity to meditate upon the three poisons :)

Yes, it does sound a bit dodgy, especially with them not providing you with any proof of the error/miscalculation...

Once a client of mine kept getting notices from the owner of a container storage place where the client had some furniture and other odds & ends stored, the notices said that my client owed ex amount of money for storage...I requested proof so they sent me all the statements and when the client and I went through them, it turned out the owner actually owed the client around $400 for over payment...
    The client had been paying a regular amount every month for quite a few years ...

BunksWalker
  • @Walker said:
    Making a trip to Saskatchewan. MIL went back into hospital. She had gone through treatment for breast cancer (chemo, radiation and surgery), had broken a hip and arm due to a fall and had spent about 4 months in hospital, being released just before this Covid madness all started.

She's been having problems with infections, and her recent bout with Covid has seemed to exasperate things. Not sure yet, but her oncologist seems to suspect that her cancer may have spread to her bones.

We were planning on going Friday, but Mrs Walker is going to see if she can get tomorrow off and leave after I get my third vaccine shot.

Hope it all goes well for your MIL and your third jab @Walker ....

Walker
    edited October 2021

@Walker said:
    Making a trip to Saskatchewan. MIL went back into hospital. She had gone through treatment for breast cancer (chemo, radiation and surgery), had broken a hip and arm due to a fall and had spent about 4 months in hospital, being released just before this Covid madness all started.

She's been having problems with infections, and her recent bout with Covid has seemed to exasperate things. Not sure yet, but her oncologist seems to suspect that her cancer may have spread to her bones.

We were planning on going Friday, but Mrs Walker is going to see if she can get tomorrow off and leave after I get my third vaccine shot.

That's not good news. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that you and your family are in our thoughts.

BunksWalkerlobster
  • Be strong. Be supportive @Walker

… in other announcements …
    I risked my life today for some pansies. Dereck Jarman would be pleased ;) My mask broke as I was entering Lidl. Luckily only about half of customers are wearing masks in shops. So now I have 20 healthy winter pansies to plant, less than £4. Excellent value.

Watching Dan Browns 'The Lost Symbol' series.

Walker
  • nothing really
    Just be happy

BunksShoshin1
  • I laughed
    Until I cried
    I cried
    Until I smiled
    I walked the crowded path
    And lost my way
    I walked the lonely path
    And found a friend

RC 10/08/2021

As you step out your door, may you find many friends.
    Peace to all

BunkslobsterKotishkaShoshin1
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Happy Thanksgiving, eh!

Mrs. Walker and her Dad have gone into Saskatoon to visit her Mum, and I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

Have a good day, all.

KotishkalobsterShoshin1

@Walker said:
    Happy Thanksgiving, eh!

Mrs. Walker and her Dad have gone into Saskatoon to visit her Mum, and I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

Have a good day, all.

You celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada?? I just thought it was an American thing.

Walker

@Bunks said:

@Walker said:
    Happy Thanksgiving, eh!

Have a good day, all.

For some bizarre reason best known to themselves, some people in the UK have started celebrating it as well! I do tell these folk that emigration to the USA is a prerequisite, but then I think, is it fair to dump these doofuses on the USA? I mean, Trump amply demonstrated they have enough of their own, already...

BunksWalker

@federica said:

@Bunks said:

@Walker said:
    Happy Thanksgiving, eh!

Have a good day, all.

For some bizarre reason best known to themselves, some people in the UK have started celebrating it as well! I do tell these folk that emigration to the USA is a prerequisite, but then I think, is it fair to dump these doofuses on the USA? I mean, Trump amply demonstrated they have enough of their own, already...

Really? I get Halloween as it’s fun for the kiddies and they get to eat chocolate etc.

But why would British people celebrate Thanksgiving?

Actually Wikipedia suggests that a number of countries celebrate thanksgiving or something similar (including the UK and the Australian island Norfolk Island).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

You learn something new every day

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

@Bunks said:

@Walker said:
    Happy Thanksgiving, eh!

Have a good day, all.

Really? I get Halloween as it’s fun for the kiddies and they get to eat chocolate etc.

But why would British people celebrate Thanksgiving?

..."Good riddance"...?

WalkerBunks

Our version is slightly different.

Our Thanksgiving is celebrated in October, and doesn't have Black Friday tagged on to it. (Although many stores do have Black Friday sales here.). It's more of a early autumn holiday, and not the start of the Christmas season the way it is in the States.

Bunks

It was a bit of a mess this year. Provinces had different gathering limits, which many people are ignoring anyway (idiots gotta idiot, I guess). Some families had disputes between vaccinated and unvaccinated members. Some people told their unvaxxed relatives to stay home, or refused to attend a dinner if people in the host house were unvaxxed.

We were only three people here, and all of us were fully vaccinated. (I actually had my third dose just before we drove down.)

BunkslobsterShoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2021

Well apart from the vineyard being sprayed this morning, (I still have eye and throat irritation from the spray drift)

I've had a lovely day, it was like a summer's day...Leaving for the morning jolk, there was a postcard from Vienna from my son, actually he lives in Berlin, but was in Vienna for work anyhow the postcard took almost two months to get here...
    Drove out to Church Bay road for a picnic lunch with a few close friends Me Myself & I,

after which I drove to Palm Beach lookout,

did a bit of reading (one of Thomas Cleary translations...Instant Zen)
    Then headed home, and when I arrived, there was a package by my door, a lockdown prezzie from my daughter who lives in Wellington...

Now I'm home with doors and windows open and fans going to get rid of any pesticide particulate matter lingering inside...

BunksfedericalobsterWalker

Nice @Shoshin1

Shoshin1Walker

Looks like a beautiful place to live @Shoshin1

Meanwhile, here in the Great White North, rain turned into snow overnight. Winter is giving us her first lashing. Gonna tell Mrs Walker and her dad to be extra careful on the roads today!

BunksShoshin1
  • Yes it is a beautiful place @Walker, but it would be even more beautiful if the council were to ban the use of pesticide close to residential dwellings....

Went for my first skinny dip of the season...The temperature was around 20C

the ocean was crystal clear and had a refreshing chill to it, ...

Then people and boats started turning up...

I didn't want to spend too long in the sun without sunshield on, so I headed off home...

WalkerBunks

Fortunately, the ground is still warm enough that last night's rain didn't freeze to the tarmac, and this morning's snow melted quickly. Roads were fine.

Mrs Walker and Dad went into Saskatoon to visit Mum. I went to Prince Albert to pick up a mobility chair. Should be good for Mum to get around the house and for outings, it turns on a dime. Mrs Walker and I are having fun riding it around and seeing what it can do. lol

Ramp is coming along, slowly. We'll have to put some more time in on it tomorrow. Mrs Walker is going to take a few more days of vacation time (she has quite a bit banked, and her employer was wanting her to use up some days anyways), so she can stay until the 24th. I'll need to do a quick run back to Edmonton next week on my own to be there when my medication is delivered, and to check on the house and make sure everything's OK there. It's nice to have some time to be here to support Mum and Dad through all they are going through right now.

Shoshin1lobsterBunks
  • @Walker said:
    Fortunately, the ground is still warm enough that last night's rain didn't freeze to the tarmac, and this morning's snow melted quickly. Roads were fine.

Yes you Northerners have had the sun for far too long for my liking, now it us Southerners turn ;)

Mrs Walker and Dad went into Saskatoon to visit Mum. I went to Prince Albert to pick up a mobility chair. Should be good for Mum to get around the house and for outings, it turns on a dime. Mrs Walker and I are having fun riding it around and seeing what it can do. lol

Ramp is coming along, slowly. We'll have to put some more time in on it tomorrow. Mrs Walker is going to take a few more days of vacation time (she has quite a bit banked, and her employer was wanting her to use up some days anyways), so she can stay until the 24th. I'll need to do a quick run back to Edmonton next week on my own to be there when my medication is delivered, and to check on the house and make sure everything's OK there. It's nice to have some time to be here to support Mum and Dad through all they are going through right now.

It's nice that you, your partner and her parents can have some quality and fun time together @Walker...

Walker
  • On this afternoon's walk I spied Miss Moon through the flame tree...

WalkerlobsterBunks
  • After carefully modifying my weekly online shop … The credit card would not go through. Que? Shopped at another online supermarket. Same thing.

Tried again after a 2 hour pause. Successful. Phew … Some glitch …

Appreciated breakfast more than usual. B)

JeroenWalkerBunksShoshin1

Samsara strikes @lobster where it hurts, in the real-life wallet…

@Jeroen said:
    I noticed that Chögyam Trungpa’s book Cutting through Spiritual Materialism is now available as a pdf through various internet archives.

I’ve been reading the first few chapters, and I’m not sure I’d recommend it. It talks a lot about how the ego seeks to harness spiritual concepts, without going into more depth about what the ego is supposed to be. So it doesn’t feel thoroughly thought through. It might not have withstood the test of time very well.

My thoughts are with you and your family @Walker <3

WalkerShoshin1lobsterJeroen
  • @Walker said:
    Well, things don't look good for Mum. :(

All the doctors who have been doing their tests had a meeting with Mum, Dad and Mrs Walker today.

'Several months' is the prognosis.

Hopefully, she'll be able to come home and be somewhat 'comfortable' here.

We all tried to ready ourselves for this news, but when it comes down, it's hard to hear.

I can image it must be a very trying time for you all, being present with feelings and emotions and not allowing the mind to wander is important right now @Walker ...

Wishing you all well and that you all have both mental and physical strength through these trying times...
    Metta <3

lobsterWalkerJeroen

Oh, that is not good news. But create a warm, loving, close nest at home, for her, and never hesitate to say what you want to say. Love to you all.

WalkerBunksJeroenKotishka

Take care @Walker

WalkerJeroen

@Walker said:
    Drove back to Edmonton today. House is OK except for the bread mould experiments we left on the counter. lol

Some positive news. Mum was very down and not eating last couple of days. Just spoke to Mrs Walker, and her mood has turned around completely today. Chatty and eating well. I'm going back down in a couple days. House is kinda spooky & lonely just me, no wife or cat around. Oh well, some quiet time is OK with me, I kinda like it.

"I was never less alone than when by myself."
    Edward Gibbon.
    (Although Cicero said something similar, a while before Gibbon did.)

Walker
  • Early evening's moon and a white Buddha sitting under it...

lobsterWalkerBunksFosdick

Great shot, @Shoshin1...

BunksShoshin1