Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All things Sport(s)

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I was surprised to see the Dodgers winning one more against the Braves but I think that series is just a question of time.

Bunks
  • As we know, or maybe should, sport is largely a form of substitute warfare.
    That is why I prefer more direct sports that involve killing … simulated of course:

• Tai Chi Chuan (grand ultimate fisting)
    • Taekwondo (the art of knocking people off horses and attacking defenceless wood)

I don't like:

• boxing, hitting people with hard hand cushions :dizzy:
    • professional wrestling, theatrical posturing :skull:
    • MMA (uses caged apes) :bawling:

meanwhile …

• Dancing … all those killer moves … wait that may be simulated sex … ah well, useful fitness :mrgreen:
    • Synchronised swimming … what the hell is that … O.o

and now back to team efforts

WalkerBunksJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It’s funny, I have a friend who studied law but found he was too soft-hearted for practice and instead decided to teach. He plays flamenco guitar with tremendous sensitivity and is one of the top players in the Netherlands. But he is also an avid boxing fan, watching old matches hundreds of times on YouTube. He particularly likes Sugar Ray Leonard.

Red Sox went out of the playoffs last night, close game but the Astro’s won 5-0, meaning they won the series 4 games to 2. The writing was on the wall after the Astro’s managed to take those two crucial games in Boston, they had the better pitching in the end.

Bunks
    edited October 2021

Amazing that Mohammad Salah became the first opposing player to score 3 at Old Trafford. You’d think it would have been done before.

And Ajax beat perpetual title rivals PSV by 5-0 in the Dutch Eredivisie. They’re in fine form at the moment, scoring pretty freely against most defenses.

And Max Verstappen won the US Grand Prix, a close race against Lewis Hamilton. A few more points towards the drivers championship which he richly deserves.

Walker
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    Amazing that Mohammad Salah became the first opposing player to score 3 at Old Trafford. You’d think it would have been done before.

And Ajax beat perpetual title rivals PSV by 5-0 in the Dutch Eredivisie. They’re in fine form at the moment, scoring pretty freely against most defenses.

And Max Verstappen won the US Grand Prix, a close race against Lewis Hamilton. A few more points towards the drivers championship which he richly deserves.

Ajax manager and director of football been linked to Newcastle as a double act

Really… I suppose you could do worse, but I think the richest vein of talent out there is not Dutch football. The thing is, it has gotten harder to create a superstar squad with all these multimillionaire owners. They’re all trying to find the best young players.

It used to be that you could pick up an up-and-coming talent like Ngolo Kante for 15 million, picking from the French League, but no longer. The money from the Champions League means that there are quite a few rich clubs looking for the best talent.

Where you get your manager and director of football from matters a lot. Ajax typically starts very young with Dutch and foreign talent, relying on youth and a few mature foreign players who aren’t too expensive. I’m not sure that’s the right approach for building a star squad, if you look at how Man City did it it’s with proven players, just a couple a season.

BunksWalker

@lobster said:
    As we know, or maybe should, sport is largely a form of substitute warfare.

It is one of the few refuges of tribal identity, that’s true. Perhaps you would like Ice Skating as seen on the Olympics which is pretty close to dance.

BunksWalker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Tonya Harding excepting of course. ;)

JeroenBunks
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Shoshin1Bunks

Looked good on the weekend @Jason and I suspect will make the Toon look second rate this weekend

World Series game 1, woo. Go the Braves!

Bunks
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@Bunks said:
    Looked good on the weekend @Jason and I suspect will make the Toon look second rate this weekend

One can hope. They look great this year. My fantasy team, Lord of the Ings, isn't doing so hot though.

Bunks

@Jeroen said:
    World Series game 1, woo. Go the Braves!

World Series game 2, hurrah. Boo the Astros!

Bunks

I must admit I am “rooting” for the Astros. I used to work with a chap who was a Braves fan who was an arrogant, racist pratt.

So would be quite pleased to see them lose =)

WalkerJeroen

There you go! There are always good and bad sides to any discussion, it just doesn’t pay to become too hung up on any one outcome, it is clinging and clinging leads inevitably to dhukkha. Sports seem to be a way to practice, after all.

Bunks
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2021

I was amazed to hear about the Braves pitcher in the first game pitching with what turned out to be a broken leg. About a month ago I slammed my finger in the door which resulted in a sore but bendable, flexible finger. I cannot imagine having a broken leg and playing a sport.

BunksWalker
  • Go team Buddha. Light those candles. Gain that Enlightenment.

Hear we go. Here we go. Here we … gone again … o:)

BunksWalker

@lobster said:

Go team Buddha. Light those candles. Gain that Enlightenment.

Hear we go. Here we go. Here we … gone again … o:)

Which team would the Buddha support? I have my suspicions.....

Alex
  • Or perhaps this team...

Bunks
  • or … none of the above

Sangha to develop …

JeroenBunksWalker

World Series game three, it was a nail-biter, came down to just the two runs scored by the Braves, for the rest it was pitchers on top. Series now 2-1 to the Braves.

Bunks

In the end the Braves won the World Series 4 games to 2. I think it came down to pitching, the Astros batting lineup is very tough but the Braves pitchers were able to shut them out in a couple of games, and that made the difference.

Looking back on the Red Sox performance, I think the batting lineup was as good as any in the game, but a bit streaky, and the pitching wasn’t quite there. They did well to beat the Yankees and the Rays, but against the Astros they had two stellar games with the bat and then the bats went quiet for three games in a row and the pitching wasn’t able to keep the games tight. You can’t lose three games in a row in the postseason.

Bunks

The Newcastle manager merry go round continues……

So Australia and New Zealand find themselves in the T20 World Cup Final to be played Sunday night (Dubai time).

It amazes me how much NZ punch above their weight when it comes to sport.

Rugby I can understand to some degree as it is their national sport and, for all the other countries that play it, it's generally the second, third or fourth most popular football code.

But cricket! They are the reigning Test champions, went within a whisker of winning the 50 over World Cup recently and have now made the World Cup final in T20. Amazing really.

• AlexAlex UK Veteran

Hey @Bunks Newcastle are my team, I was born there, 51 years ago ! Great top 👍

Bunks
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

This thread caught my interest, not only because of the Toon content !

I was pretty ill this year - I watched a lot of sport and read books about football while I was resting and recovering. I discovered that there is some comfort and solace in the arms of sport, an absorption. There’s also a form of sangha !

Most interesting 🙏🏻😂

BunksShoshin1WalkerJeroen

@Alex said:
    Hey @Bunks Newcastle are my team, I was born there, 51 years ago ! Great top 👍

Oh wow! Very cool.

One of my best mates is from Whitley Bay. He lives back there now. He and I shared a house in London when I was over there many years ago.

I've become completely obsessed with football and Newcastle again since the takeover.

Alex

@Alex said:
    This thread caught my interest, not only because of the Toon content !

I was pretty ill this year - I watched a lot of sport and read books about football while I was resting and recovering. I discovered that there is some comfort and solace in the arms of sport, an absorption. There’s also a form of sangha !

Most interesting 🙏🏻😂

Hope you get well soon mate...hang in there.

Alex

@Alex said:

There is definitely a kind of kinship in shared affection for a sports team, which can be very comforting. But to call it a sangha I think it would need some idea of higher development, and that is often missing.

Still good to hear you are resting and recovering!

Alex
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

@Jeroen thank you my friend 🙏🏻 I was slightly joking about sangha, but I can see absorption in sport, for sure. One gets interested in a sport or team and then throws oneself into watching, watching old games or clips, understanding the city they are from, the local culture, the players. There’s a lot of information to absorb oneself in. I’ve done it with cricket this last summer, I got into watching the Indian league and getting to know the teams, players and areas they are from

JeroenBunks

@Alex said:
    @Jeroen thank you my friend 🙏🏻 I was slightly joking about sangha, but I can see absorption in sport, for sure. One gets interested in a sport or team and then throws oneself into watching, watching old games or clips, understanding the city they are from, the local culture, the players. There’s a lot of information to absorb oneself in. I’ve done it with cricket this last summer, I got into watching the Indian league and getting to know the teams, players and areas they are from

I have been doing that with Newcastle recently. Even learning a little "Geordie speak". :)

Alex
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

@bunks whyaye man ! That’s canny, like 😁

Bunks

Australia beat New Zealand overnight to claim our first T20 World Cup! We pride ourselves on our cricketing tradition and ability (it’s our only truly national sport) so everyone pretty happy here.

Commiserations to NZ. They’ve now lost 3 World Cup Finals in six years. Hope it’s not becoming a habit.

Shoshin1

Well the Red Sox won 5 World Series up to 1918, when they traded star slugger Babe Ruth to the Yankees. What followed was an 86-year championship drought until 2004. This period was typified with the ‘curse of the bambino’ superstition.

Bunks

@Jeroen said:
    Well the Red Sox won 5 World Series up to 1918, when they traded star slugger Babe Ruth to the Yankees. What followed was an 86-year championship drought until 2004. This period was typified with the ‘curse of the bambino’ superstition.

Still haven’t forgiven you for 2007 😞

Jeroen
    edited November 2021

England confirmed qualification for the 2022 Qatar World Cup this morning with an emphatic 10-0 win over San Marino.

Jeroen

Holland is also going to Qatar, after a 2-0 victory against Norway on Wednesday. They could have qualified last weekend but only managed a 2-2 draw away to Montenegro, would you believe.

Bunks

Canada beat Mexico 2-1, and are leading in the Concacaf qualifying table.

JeroenBunks

Wow @walker do you think you will make it to Qatar? I can’t remember the last time we saw Canada at a World Cup finals.

We might. 1986 was the only time Canada appeared at a World Cup.

Bunks
    edited November 2021

Though you might be in automatically in 2026 as one of the three host countries — Mexico, the USA and Canada, if my eyes did not deceive me trawling through Wikipedia. You might be able to get tickets to a game, even.

Bunks

Yeah, Edmonton might host a couple of games. We foolishly replaced the grass at Commonwealth Stadium with artificial turf a few years ago. Now it'll have to be changed back if we want to host World Cup matches.

Bunks
    edited November 2021

Ajax is playing tonight in the Champions League, but I think they are already through to the next round. Saw Chelsea yesterday completing a comfortable win over Juventus.

Bunks

@Jeroen said:
    Ajax is playing tonight in the Champions League, but I think they are already through to the next round. Saw Chelsea yesterday completing a comfortable win over Juventus.

Yes, I am watching Liverpool and Porto this morning. I believe Liverpool are already through to the next round.

I'll watch Man City v PSG after this.

It’s interesting, there is this new thing called the UEFA Conference League or summat. It’s a whole bunch of lesser teams that wouldn’t otherwise get European football playing together. From Holland it’s Feyenoord, Vitesse and AZ Alkmaar, playing teams like Union Berlin who finished well down the Bundesliga table last year.

So instead of seeing the most skillful teams you get to see some lesser but still good teams who play with a lot of passion. The defending is not as good so there are some simpler goals.

WalkerBunks

Newcastle v Norwich about to kick off. Must win for the Toon.
    Howay the Lads <3

I have been watching some NFL, it’s good fun in 15 minute chunks. Not sure if I would want to watch three hours of it if I wasn’t involved in the teams though. Still follow the Patriots a bit, and currently the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because of the Tom Brady - Gronkowski connection.

Bunks

@Bunks said:
    Newcastle v Norwich about to kick off. Must win for the Toon.
    Howay the Lads <3

1-1 draw
    Looks like we will be the richest team in the world stuck in the second tier of football next season =)

Jeroen

I didn’t know Newcastle were in the relegation zone, let alone at the bottom. Sad for a team with such a rich history.

@Jeroen said:
    I didn’t know Newcastle were in the relegation zone, let alone at the bottom. Sad for a team with such a rich history.

The only team in all four divisions to have not won a game yet.