Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Buddhist Quotes

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Touch the earth lightly when you walk.

— North American Indian proverb

WalkerDavid
  • "An act of kindness is love in action"
    ~Lailah Gifty Akita~

lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it."

-Rabindranath Tagore

Shoshin1lobsterJeroen
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2021

"If you follow reason far enough it always leads to conclusions that are contrary to reason"
    ~Samuel Butler~

David
  • It is reasonable to have perfection in our eye that we may always advance toward it, though we know it can never be reached.
    Samuel Johnson

Shoshin1
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

"Fear is the path to the dark side.
    Fear leads to anger,
    anger leads to hate,
    hate leads to suffering."
    -Yoda

Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“Keep quiet, undisturbed, and the wisdom and the power will come on their own. You need not hanker. Wait in silence of the heart and mind. It is very easy to be quiet, but willingness is rare. You people want to become supermen overnight. Stay without ambition, without the least desire, exposed, vulnerable, unprotected, uncertain and alone, completely open to and welcoming life as it happens, without the selfish conviction that all must yield you pleasure or profit, material or so- called spiritual.”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

WalkerDavid
  • "Skin colour is little more than an adaptive trait for living on a rock that orbits the Sun. It may absorb light but it certainly does not reflect character."
    ~Angela Koine Flynn~

lobsterWalker
  • “Don’t get confused between my personality and my attitude… my personality is who I am, and my attitude depends on who you are.”
    Donald Duck
    https://kidadl.com/articles/best-donald-duck-quotes-the-whole-family-will-love

WalkerShoshin1
  • "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"
    ~John Lennon~

WalkerDavid

“Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what we are meant to become.”

— Steve Jobs

Walker

“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.”

— Steve Jobs

WalkerDavid
  • "When an inner situation is made conscious, it appears outside as fate"
    ~Carl Jung~

• "Knowing your own darkness is the best method of dealing with the darknesses of other people"
    ~Carl Jung~

WalkerDavid
  • “The real meditation is how you live your life.”
    ~Jon Kabat-Zinn~

lobsterDavid

“Christianity is one way of putting words together and Hinduism is another. The real is, behind and beyond words, incommunicable, directly experienced, explosive in its effect on the mind. It is easily had when nothing else is wanted. The innards created by imagination and perpetuated by desire.”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

Walker

“Recorded religions are mere heaps of verbiage. Religions show their true face in action, in silent action. To know what man believes, watch how he acts. For most of the people service of their bodies and their minds is their religion. They may have religious ideas, but they do not act on them. They play with them, they are often very fond of them, but they will not act on them.”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

Walker

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

― Nelson Mandela

Walker

“It is enough to know what you are not. You need not know what you are. For as long as knowledge means description in terms of what is already known, perceptual, or conceptual, there can be no such thing as self-knowledge, for what you are cannot be described, except as except as total negation. All you can say is: ‘I am not this, I am not that’. You cannot meaningfully say ‘this is what I am’. It just makes no sense. What you can point out as 'this' or 'that' cannot be yourself. Surely, you can not be 'something' else. You are nothing perceivable, or imaginable. Yet, without you there can be neither perception nor imagination. You observe the heart feeling, the mind thinking, the body acting; the very act of perceiving shows that you are not what you perceive. Can there be perception, experience without you? An experience must ‘belong'. Somebody must come and declare it as his own. Without an experiencer the experience is not real. It is the experiencer that imparts reality to experience. An experience which you cannot have, of what value is it to you?”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

Walker

“Desire is the memory of pleasure and fear is the memory of pain.”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

Shoshin1
  • "Food particles become woven into our body, just as memory becomes woven into our self"

~Swedish scientist whose name I forgot~

lobster
    edited November 2021

“Mankind comes from love and exists to make love blossom again. Hate comes from trauma, from believing that someone external has damaged your ‘i’ past the capacity of forgiveness to bear. It is love laid bare, it’s counterpart. It stops when you realise your ‘i’ cannot be damaged, and others are just passing on their own trauma in never-ending cycles.”

“For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”

― Nelson Mandela

“Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.”

― Nelson Mandela

“As I have said, the first thing is to be honest with yourself. You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself... Great peacemakers are all people of integrity, of honesty, but humility.”

― Nelson Mandela

“It is said that no one truly knows a nation until one has been inside its jails. A nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens, but its lowest ones.”

― Nelson Mandela

Shoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited November 2021

"Never a dull moment"
    ~One of Roshi Rod Stewart's album~

Jeroen
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Heard a new Marcus Aurelius quote the other day.

Then I started looking through a few more and am reminded how much stoicism and Buddhism have in common.

JeroenWalkerShoshin1lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Shoshin1Walkerlobsterperson
  • "When you realize nothing is lacking, the whole world belongs to you"
    ~Lao Tzu~

Walker

“Q: When I see something pleasant, I want it. Who exactly wants it? The self or the mind?
    M: The question is wrongly put. There is no 'who'. There is desire, fear, anger, and the mind says — this is me, this is mine. There is no thing which could be called 'me' or 'mine'. Desire is a state of the mind, perceived and named by the mind. Without the mind perceiving and naming, where is desire?”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

• "It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they are being fooled"
    ~Mark Twain~ (Well maybe not his exact words)

“It is impossible to transmit religious truth. If I give you my truth, the moment you receive it it turns into falsehood. What happens is, you create your own bondage, and you will have to find your freedom.”

— Osho

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin1 said:
    "It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they are being fooled"
    ~Mark Twain~ (Well maybe not his exact words)

Close enough for Jazz...

• "The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don’t tell you what to see."
    ~Alexandra K.Trenfor~

Walkerlobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

WalkerShoshin1Jeroen
  • "Loss is nothing else but change, and change is nature's delight"
    ~Marcus Aurelius~

Bunks

“Most people are busy serving their body or their mind, there is no room for actual religion.”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

Bunks
  • "...I already did it." Harry Potter

“The essence of life feels like love, appears like beauty and sounds like truth.”

— Christina von Dreien

Walker

“Peace is not a state that simply arises all of a sudden. Peace is a decision - made by every single person, extending to all countries.”

— Christina von Dreien

“Receding only means to go within, your normal inclination is to come out through the five senses and see the world. Now reverse; I am not the body, I am not the mind, I am not the senses; now you are stabilised in consciousness. After being stabilised in consciousness everything else will happen automatically.”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

edited November 2021

@Lionduck said:
    "...I already did it." Harry Potter

This is priceless. I mean, you try saying it. This guy has a point!

Shoshin1LionduckBunksJeroen
    edited November 2021

“Move over, Mister Hoffman. Step aside, Albert Einstein. What about Joseph Goebbels as someone who has shaped the 20th century? By understanding propaganda, marketing, the power of the lie, he showed a path to many of the less scrupulous.”

— Terence McKenna

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited December 2021

Someone recommended this as a line a holy player could use in a game of D&D, I found it quite deep.

"If we do not make the Light welcoming, can we really blame them for choosing Darkness?"

Bunks
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited December 2021

One you know, you've flew, boo.
    Don't sniff the glue.
    Hear it from a janky crew,
    the sky's blue and not you.

— a very silly man

Bunks

“At linga-deha level, when you worship your guru, you are the expression of guru, in so many ways. You will be experiencing so many things on so many levels, but all of this has emanated out of you, out of your love and devotion for guru, and finally as you evolve, all of these things merge back into you. This is very important, this is the consummation of devotion, or saghuna bhakti.”

— Nisargadatta Maharaj

Bunks