Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism/Paganism Combined

If I remember rightly Paganism is anything outside of the main religions but could Paganism be combined with Buddhism. Not so much the idol/goddess worship and spells but herb knowledge and meditation, surely it’s the flip side of the same coin?

BunksShoshin1

Comments

• I think you'll find there are Buddhists who practice Paganism and vice versa...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Buddhism combines very well with all sorts of beliefs, although it also has its share of traditionalists. It really depends on where you go, temples are likely to adhere to their own streams, while circles of practitioners tend to be quite open to a variety of beliefs and practice.

• … but could Paganism be combined with Buddhism

Sure. You could combine Buddhism with anything. Because you have an interest in fairies, herbs or muggles does not mean you can not have an interest in butter, Buddha or other beings …

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Considering this further, I think the most fertile part of this combination is the Buddha’s reasonable view of the inner compared with the intuitive approach of paganism. As far as the goddess worship goes, you could take the Tibetan approach as a guide, viewing the goddess as an aspect of the properties of the mind. Spells are more troublesome because the Buddha spoke out against such things in the community of monks, personally I would just leave them out altogether. Certainly herbal knowledge and respect for nature are a good fit with Buddhism.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The saying goes that you can practise Christianity with heavy Buddhist influence, but you can't practise Buddhism with heavy Christian influence.

Perhaps you can incorporate the two Callings, but decide what is sound and reliable, and what is "New-Age Woo-woo" and omit that, and leave it 'aside'...

how
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

Many years ago I combined Buddhist and Pagan (Wiccan) practises quite successfully.I believe you can do so (in my experience) because of the flexibility in Paganism. To be completely frank, Paganism is completely disorganised when it comes to any structure or heirachy so anything goes really. I agree to a degree with what @federica said above about cherry picking (my words) what works and what doesn't. But most of the cherry picking with me was to do with the Pagan side and not the Buddhist side.
    Just my 0.02......

JeroenShoshin1
  • Which witch is best for a Buddhist fanatic fanboy?

The wicked white witch of the west, no doubt.