Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ajahn Brahm inspirational quotes - Make Peace, Be kind, Be gentle

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Day 1 - Now is the only time you ever have.

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Day 2 - Suffering is asking from the world what it can never give you.

lobster
  • aahhh … two days in one day, I am daysed …

Make Peace, Be kind, Be gentle
    Seems like a plan …

BunksWalkerJeroen

Haha yes @lobster - I actually started yesterday so just catching up :)

lobsterWalkerJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Seems like a fine idea, we get to know Ajahn Brahm a little better through his quotes…

“Love is not liking somebody. Anyone can do that. Love is loving things that sometimes you don't like. ”
    ― Ajahn Brahm

WalkerBunks

Day 3 - Everyone makes mistakes. The wise forgive themselves and learn from their mistakes.

WalkerShoshin1lobsterAlex
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited November 2021

Day 4

“Silence is so much more productive of wisdom and clarity than thinking.”
    ― Ajahn Brahm

AlexBunks
    edited November 2021

Day 5 - if you want a happy life, lower your expectations!

Shoshin1

“We all deserve to get away and have some peace; and others deserve the peace of us getting out of their way!”
    ― Ajahn Brahm, Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung?: Inspiring Stories for Welcoming Life's Difficulties

+1 for his playful book title

BunksWalkerFleaMarket
    edited November 2021

Day 5 redux

“Fear is finding fault with the future.”
    — Ajahn Brahm

Bunks
    edited November 2021

Day 6 - Real generosity is giving, expecting nothing in return

Shoshin1lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Day 7

Why seek Revenge? Karma is going to get the bastards, anyway.

BunksJeroen
    edited November 2021

Day 7 part 2

“The quieter you become the more happiness you have.”
    ― Ajahn Brahm

Hmm “someone” edited my joke date reversal…

Day 7 - where I am, is where I want to be. This is good enough.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Jeroen said:
    Hmm “someone” edited my joke date reversal…

Yes, I did. I thought you'd made a mistake... It's easily done.

I’m sure there must be an Ajahn Brahm quote about it somewhere…

@Jeroen said:
    I’m sure there must be an Ajahn Brahm quote about it somewhere…

Let me know if you find it...

Bunks
    edited November 2021

Day 7 part 2 (really)

“Any place you don’t want to be is a prison.”
    — Ajahn Brahm

Just to clear up any confusion from my side as the OP. I have a pack of thirty cards, each with a quote. I’ll be adding a quote each day with the relevant number (being yesterday + 1) regardless of what anyone else posts. =)

Day 8 - it doesn’t matter who is right and who is wrong: you’re both wrong if you argue

FleaMarket
    edited November 2021

@Bunks said:
    Just to clear up any confusion from my side as the OP. I have a pack of thirty cards, each with a quote. I’ll be adding a quote each day with the relevant number (being yesterday + 1) regardless of what anyone else posts. =)

So really, we should omit mentioning a day, because we're just following on from you. The only one who should mention any day, is you.
    Got it.

Bunks

“The secret of life is ... everything is out of control.”

Bunks
  • @Bunks said:
    Day 5 - if you want a happy life, lower your expectations!

I find this one resonates well with me... Great expectations can often lead to great disappointments ...
    So...

BunksWalker

Day 9 - When you cultivate a beautiful mind throughout the day, you will have a beautiful mind when you meditate.

Day 10 - Thinking about it is the hard part. Doing it is easy!

Shoshin1

Day 11 - Never allow anyone or anything to control your happiness

“What is the essential difference between banknotes, coins, and chicken shit? None.”
    ― Ajahn Brahm

BunksWalker

Day 12 - Instead of having a fault-finding mind, develop the beautiful attitude of gratitude.

lobsterFleaMarket

“Sir, if someone took a Buddhist holy book and flushed it down my toilet, the first thing I would do is call a plumber!”
    ― Ajahn Brahm

WalkerBunksShoshin1

Day 13 - Don't get angry and upset when things go wrong. Expect that to happen.

Shoshin1
  • @Bunks said:
    Day 13 - Don't get angry and upset when things go wrong. Expect that to happen.

Yes I expect to get angry and upset. Not sure it is a right? Wait … don't get angry and upset when things go wrong? When is the best time? Wrathful fuming meditation anyone? 🤪

Bunks
    edited November 2021

Day 14 - “I want peace” is an oxymoron. Peace happens when wanting ends.

Shoshin1lobsterJeroenFleaMarket

“If you know how to let go and be at peace, you know everything you need to know about living in the world.”
    ― Ajahn Brahm

Bunks

Day 15 - Life is never perfect. Have the courage to rest your mind in the midst of imperfection.

Walkerlobster

Day 16 - We cannot change the world. But we can change our attitude towards it.

WalkerJeroen
  • Day 16 - We cannot change the world. But we can change our attitude towards it.

A plan! I knew there was one …
    Which attitude is best for ourselves, others and the universe?
    Who said - Make Peace, Be kind, Be gentle …

Easy to say, a lifetime to practice …
    Where are the tools? Everywhere …
    https://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/12-simple-ways-you-can-build-positive-attitude.html

BunksJeroen

Day 17 - When you stop complaining, you stop suffering.

marcitko

Day 18 - Love things the way they are, and your love will be like the sun, making the flowers grow.

Shoshin1Walker
  • @Bunks said:

Not that bloody quote again... ;)

WalkerJeroenBunks

@Shoshin1 said:

@Bunks said:

Not that bloody quote again... ;)

I see what you did there... :D

Day 19 (slight pause there for my birthday celebration and subsequent food poisoning) - you can never fix up the past, because the past is gone forever!

lobsterJeroenWalkerShoshin1

“The quieter you become the more happiness you have.”
    ― Ajahn Brahm

BunksWalkerfedericalobster

Day 20 - Don't take your non-self so seriously!

Shoshin1federicalobsterJeroen

Day 21 - Ask yourself: are you prepared for old age, sickness and death?

Jeroen
  • @Bunks said:

Why ask? Isn't old age, sickness and death something to not take seriously? See Day 20. o:)

Bunks

@lobster said:

@Bunks said:

Why ask? Isn't old age, sickness and death something to not take seriously? See Day 20. o:)

The paradox of Dhamma hehe

lobster

Day 22 - What you see in others, is what they will show you back.

“You understand that the defilements promise you so much but that they never actually deliver.”
    ― Ajahn Brahm, The Art of Disappearing: Buddha's Path to Lasting Joy

Bunks
  • @Bunks said:
    Day 22 - What you see in others, is what they will show you back.

Tee Hee.
    Indeed. Not only that but others are a revelation of our show.
    Fortunately the woke are made of stranger/stronger stuffing. They know what to reveal and what to hold back. So in that sense:

• In action is activated backward. In other words you can not back away from all as self.
    • What we don't see is not beyond being.
    • Do we reflect on what is unseen?

Are we done yet?

“FORGIVENESS MIGHT WORK in a monastery, I hear you say, but if we give that sort of forgiveness in real life, we’ll be taken advantage of. People will walk all over us — they’ll just think we’re weak. I agree. Such forgiveness rarely works on its own. As the saying goes, “He who turns the other cheek, must visit the dentist twice, rather than once!”
    ― Ajahn Brahm, Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung?: Inspiring Stories for Welcoming Life's Difficulties

WalkerBunksAlex