Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What movies are you watching?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Erin Brockovich. Just a fabulous film. No sex, no violence, and such a feelgood movie!

Bunkslobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica

Rebel is loosely based on Erin Brockovich. Also feelgood.

Bunks
  • yagryagr Veteran

We can't watch movies. Currently, we're on episode 174 of 208 in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic line-up. This is our eleventh time thru. Had hoped, you know, with 'ten' being a round number and all, that we might stop there but....no.

BunksShoshin1federica
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:
    @federica

Rebel is loosely based on Erin Brockovich. Also feelgood.

I'm slightly fogged as to why Erin Brockovich would sanction and produce a movie "loosely based" upon her life, when Julia Roberts' earlier eponymous film was so spectacularly successful... still, where there's muck, there's brass...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Rebel is a tv series, not a movie…

lobster

Ok, well... ditto...

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I liked the Hulu series Devs, interesting stuff that ties into a topic that comes up here now and then.

And if anyone is into the Marvel stuff I thought the new Loki series was really good, far better than the other two new ones.

lobster

@yagr said:
    We can't watch movies. Currently, we're on episode 174 of 208 in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic line-up. This is our eleventh time thru. Had hoped, you know, with 'ten' being a round number and all, that we might stop there but....no.

They call you Bronies. I've never watched it myself but I've actually heard really positive reviews about the show.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

This looks good, don’t know when I will get to see it

• Ooh … new Suicide Squad film.
    Such fun if you like gratuitous dark comedy violence … fortunately I do …

It’s about time that someone made a TV series of Asimov’s Foundation books. Really looking forward to this, coming to Apple TV+ on 24 September.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I don’t get the whole Marvel comic / superhero stuff.

I work in IT and have to listen to grown men discuss the latest Star Wars / Avengers etc films.

I’m polite but I am always tempted to remind them they’re not 9 years old anymore.

Anyways, each to their own…..

Shoshin1FleaMarket

@Bunks said:
    I don’t get the whole Marvel comic / superhero stuff.

I work in IT and have to listen to grown men discuss the latest Star Wars / Avengers etc films.

I’m polite but I am always tempted to remind them they’re not 9 years old anymore.

Anyways, each to their own…..

To a certain extent I agree with you, it’s a kind of nostalgia. I rarely read fiction these days, and the non-fiction I read tends to be self-development and spiritual stuff. That’s where I spend most of my time, but sometimes I like a little entertainment and I diverge for a few hours into things I used to like when I was younger.

But for proper sci fi I make an exception. Science fiction broadens the mind, as long as it doesn’t become a backdrop for some kind of horror tale. Interstellar, The Martian, Ex Machina, every once in a while a good film comes along. And I hope Foundation belongs to that list as well.

Bunks
  • @Bunks said:

The Suicide Squad is not suitable for 9 year olds. It has the same humour as Deadpool. Very dark humour. Just for the record.

Not everyones cup of tea for sure.

Bunks

@Bunks said: I’m polite but I am always tempted to remind them they’re not 9 years old anymore.

My Mum once said to me -
    "It doesn't matter what job they have, how much they earn, what car they drive, whose clothes label they wear or what kind of house they live in; They're NINE years old. Always."

You obviously didn't get the memo, @Bunks ...

JeroenBunkslobster

I watched this the other day, Terry Gilliams latest film The Man Who Killed Don Quichote. With Adam Driver and a host of other well-known faces. I quite enjoyed it.

Bunks
    edited October 2021

Just watched the new documentary 15 minutes of shame. I've been on about internet shaming culture and social media driven outrage for a while and this one did a really good job of getting at the roots of the problem that is polluting pretty much every cultural circle.

My favorite quote was from Tristan Harris:
    "We're more profitable if we're addicted, outraged, irritable, disinformed and polarized than if we're a human being."

I will say that I did have some kind of disagreeable feeling when they briefly talked about section 230 of internet regulation in the US. There wasn't any discussion of how much content regulation already does happen and to my mind didn't show much caution regarding mucking about with it. As much as outrage mobs and disinformation have become a real problem I wouldn't want to lose all the positive aspects of the internet. Like could a site like this survive if Linc and Brian could be sued for something someone posted on it? And would they have the time to sort through all the posts and keep a sense of openness or would they rather shut down anything remotely questionable just to be safe? Anyway, it didn't feel like there was enough temperance on the issue to me.

Trailer

Excerpt

Jeroen

To be honest, I think much of this behaviour is coming from Facebook. If they were to fix that, it would go a long way towards fixing the problem in general.

@Jeroen said:
    To be honest, I think much of this behaviour is coming from Facebook. If they were to fix that, it would go a long way towards fixing the problem in general.

Its not just Facebook though, it needs a more systemic fix.

The question is how to pass a law or improve a regulation that doesn't also destroy the positive aspects. Often tougher regulation just means that only the largest companies can afford to comply and actually increases their market power. What buttons do you press to avoid the unforeseen side effects and get the outcome you actually want?

Watched this today, it was good… The Year the Earth Changed on Apple TV

Shoshin1

Saw this over the weekend… mostly by accident… it was… fast…

edited October 2021

The new Dune was really good. Though I'm not sure it was all that much of an improvement over the 1984 version. Visually it was pretty amazing, storywise it followed pretty closely. The Harkonnen were super creepy in this version. Also this is just part 1, the second half is coming later.

marcitkoJeffrey

Mandela: The Long Walk to Freedom

edited November 2021

Memoirs of a Geisha

One of my all time favourites, Chinatown.

Made with entirely free and open source software Blender…

Hubby went out and bought a brand new, State-Of-The-Art Telly (No, I didn't know, until he had...!) and we're looking forward to watching the new Ryan Reynolds/Wayne Johnson film, 'Red Notice' and the last Daniel Craig as 007 Bond movie, 'No Time To Die'. over Christmas.
    There is also a new John Wick film to come out, and another Matrix film too. They will be absolutely 'Spacktecular' as my daughter used to say (aged 3... although we all still say it now she's 38!)

Bunks

Television technology is in such a state of flux. All the manufacturers have moved to 4K and some are eyeing 8K resolution, although there is very little source material available. In terms of colour, normal Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) has given way to High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Dolby Vision, and many set makers have their own marketing twist on these. Then on the horizon we have Mini LED technology which means the brightness of the image is going to go up a lot and when you’re looking at the sun you will actually notice the tv scorching your eyeballs…

Kudo’s to your hubby for finding his way through the tech labyrinth to a buying decision!

Well apparently (and I don't understand this; I may not even have understood this correctly...) The television can detect the composition of the image and make trees more tree-ish, grass more grass-ish, satin more satin-ish, velvet more velvet-ish... you get the picture. Apparently, so will the TV... John Logie Baird must be spinning like a fekkin' dynamo... "Hoots mon, WTF...?"

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Have watched "Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs 2" and "Home Alone 6" with the kids this week.

Neither a classic but entertaining enough for us.....

I watched the above film several months ago. Have now seen it twice.
    A little disappointed that the memoirs of Tony Vallelonga's family are at a diametrically-opposite one to that of Donald Shirley's... There is some controversy over content and portrayal...

• We have a 4k TV and fast broadband, I had it installed just before the first lockdown.

You can find 4k walks, drives, train journeys etc

Films and nature progs, yoga, tai chi routines, talks by monks etc

We are cybernautic Buddhists?

The last film I saw was:

Jeroen
    edited December 2021

My tv is a rather pedestrian non-4K but still kinda ok 1080p Samsung model. It doesn’t do any of the fancy things, for that I have a couple of little boxes hanging off the HDMI ports. I was thinking of maybe upgrading but really want to wait until Mini-LED comes as standard on 450 euro TV sets.

We do have 300 mbps down / 30 mbps up cable broadband though.

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited December 2021

I watched this on Netflix last night "Passing"

The director Rebecca Hall and the actor and actresses talking about the film...

Post on Fb from our esteemed and beloved Boss, Brian:

"I finished "Brand New Cherry Flavor" (Netflix). It's been a long time since I've seen something so visually striking, so riveting, so jaw-dropping and stylistic. I fucking LOVED it.
    One of the plot devices is a short film that they only hint at for most of the story. The idea is that the short film has an ending so shocking, so incredible that people who watch it go agape, their mouths open, and they can't believe what they're seeing.
    My imagination filled in the gaps, which usually makes it better than anything the storyteller could come up with, but in this case, I realized after a few scenes that, indeed, I was sitting there, staring at the screen, mouth open, pausing so I could catch my breath. I could truly relate to the characters in the story over this.
    If you can stand extreme gore, body horror, slow-drip psychological tension, revenge, and other horror nonsense, definitely, definitely watch this series. It's not for the faint of heart, but it IS absolutely phenomenal."

Not my cup of tea, but some of you might like to watch it and review it!

• If you can stand extreme gore, body horror, slow-drip psychological tension, revenge, and other horror nonsense, definitely, definitely watch this series. It's not for the faint of heart, but it IS absolutely phenomenal.

Ah thanks to Brian <3
    Strangely enough I have a taste for this sort of nonsense. I am sure it prepares me for hell realm picnic and barbecue excursions.
    Is it cathartic to watch such? For me, yes.

edited December 2021

On BBC2 tomorrow afternoon, Doctor Zhivago, directed by David Lean, starring Omar Sharif and Julie Christie, it was one of the big films of its time, winning six Oscars… something to do during the lockdown.

I'm a big fan of Kevin Costner's current TV series, Yellowstone. Its about an American West (Montana) cattle ranch. A bit of a modern western. Its on season 4 right now.

SuraShine
  • "I finished "Brand New Cherry Flavor"

Me too now. Binge watched. Quite engrossing but not for the squeamish. Outstanding acting. Just draws you in …

@Jeroen said:
    On BBC2 tomorrow afternoon, Doctor Zhivago, directed by David Lean, starring Omar Sharif and Julie Christie, it was one of the big films of its time, winning six Oscars… something to do during the lockdown.

The scene when they're in a snow-filled abandoned house, you'll notice there's no breath-fog. That's because the snow, was actually salt, in the studio. Both Omar Sharif and Julie Christie needed Hospital treatment when they inhaled a lot of salt dust, as did some of the film crew and props people...

edited December 2021

Watched Matrix Ressurections last night. I thought the story tied in with the previous movies well. The fight scenes weren't as good, more chaotic and jumpy. And much of the plot line was similar to the previous films. Overall, as a big fan of the Matrix films I enjoyed this new installment, though it didn't really break any new ground. I'd say it was a similar experience for me to watching The Force Awakens as a Star Wars fan.

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@person said:
    I'm a big fan of Kevin Costner's current TV series, Yellowstone. Its about an American West (Montana) cattle ranch. A bit of a modern western. Its on season 4 right now.

I LOVE that series

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

This is a Xmas Eve ritual for me

@SuraShine said:

Deep philosophical question... Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2021

Watched two movies recently. The first was Don't Look Up, which David Sirota had big hand making. I very much agree with this review of it:

And I'll just say that the comet can represent anything that people are ignoring that others are trying to warn them about. Climate change. COVID. Fascism. Economic collapse. Etc.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2021

The second was Being the Ricardos, which made me super annoyed at all the references to the terrible things the communists did to Desi's family when, in fact, it was not the communists that exiled his family and took their mansions at all. What happened to his family happened more than 20 years before the communists ousted Batista, who himself was a part of the 1933 coup that was responsible for the above. But of course, American media propaganda can't help but malign communists any chance they get, deserved or not.

And I'm sure most people won't be familiar with the actual history and context and just assume the evil communists kicked poor Desi out of Cuba and killed all of his animals. Makes me so angry when movies and TV and even history books play fast and loose with the truth in order to support a particular narrative and save time. Like, there's literally a 26 year difference between the coup that made Desi's rich, aristocratic family flee Cuba and the revolution led by Castro. Completely different people behind it, fuelled by a lot of political and economic instability, corruption, and exploitation. Also, the president they overthrew and who was connected to Desi's family was seen by the people to be authoritarian, and the Great Depression didn't help matter, so soldiers and students basically started the 1933 revolution to reform the country, which eventually led to Batista (a more right-wing military officer turned politician) becoming president after one or two others, who himself was the one who was ousted in the 50's by the communists. So the communists were pretty far removed from what happened to Desi et al. But they were like, hey, let's just blame them for it so we don't have to go into the actual, complicated history of Cuba.

Beyond that, it was ok. Some other historical fudging to make a couple of years in their live into one week, but entertaining enough. I thought Don't Look Up was better, though.

Walker

Casablanca was on tv the other day. Another Christmas ritual, which the elderly over here enjoy. I think it was the Queen (the English one, not the Dutch) who recently said “Christmas is an excuse to see the films that you already know the endings of.”

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2021

@person said:

@SuraShine said:

Deep philosophical question... Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

Tee hee.
    I think it is more suitable for Easter. The time when Baby Jesus dies hard on a peace of wood and comes back as the Easter Bunny or some such sequel. A great story.

I like the one about wrathful Buddha Voldemort and … wait think I have gone wrong again. :3

Finding some great documentary films on Iplayer. For example The Accountant about an autistic … eh wait think that is an action film … ah well … <3