Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to walk

During Lockdown walking was a high risk activity. Now I am doing more. Trying my best to avoid those coughing. Quite a few in London. I have had vaccine shots but not the flu jab.

Interestingly I can feel I need to straighten up. Basically shoulders back, head up and speed walk. Great exercise.

maybe this might come in handy … eventually …
https://prepareforchange.net/2016/07/09/the-lung-gom-pa-runners-of-old-tibet/

Any walking tips?

BunksShoshin1

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Yeah - try using two canes instead of one. It balances the stride, and you can stand up nearly straight instead of hunching over and being all lopsided.

Bunkslobster
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Also, the lamer one becomes, the more walking at all seems to become an unpleasant ordeal, weighing heavily upon the mind whenever it must be practiced. Better to regard it as an end, a practice in itself, and not at all as a means of getting from point A to point B. Don't struggle, and rejoice in the mastery of what you can do.

BunksWalkerShoshin1lobster
  • Walking sticks, mmm … sounds like a plan

Shoshin1Jeroen
  • Any walking tips?

Most important tip....Enjoy it...

Perhaps you could try spicing it up by throwing a bit of backward walking into the mix...

sharpens the senses and mental clarity.
    improves coordination.
    boosts body consciousness.
    adds variety to your training.
    strengthens less used leg muscles.
    decreases lower back pain.
    puts less strain on the knees.
    speeds up the body's metabolism.

WalkerJeroenlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited November 2021

@lobster said:
    Any walking tips?

I often go for longer walks in the Dutch countryside, it’s very enjoyable if you have the better part of a day to spare. Here is what I do…

• Choose a train or bus station to start walking from, and choose one to walk to. Often others will have already mapped out decent walks online. Try https://www.ramblers.org.uk/ for a British resource.
    • Make a printout of the walk you have chosen, including map and description. Take it with you in a transparent plastic cover.
    • Take a smartphone for emergencies, navigation and taking the odd photograph en route. For the very safety conscious, you can buy walker’s emergency kits with first aid materials, flares and so on, but those are really meant for the mountains.
    • Choose a smartphone walking app that supports OpenStreetMap and topographical maps and overlay routes from .gpx files and live GPS view, this is very handy for when you’ve downloaded a route from the net but later you’re not quite sure if you’re still on your track. Try OsmAnd, which is good and not expensive.
    • Allow yourself a good hour per 4 km that you are walking, more in very hilly terrain. Four hours is a good long walk, more becomes more strenuous than is pleasurable.
    • Choose a good day for walking: not too hot, not too cold, and not rainy. Dress in layers and take a waterproof jacket just in case of showers, because weather forecasts are not perfect. Good walking shoes are a nice extra.
    • A packed lunch and enough drinking water are recommended.
    KotishkaWalker
  • I have to go when I am not needed and safe. So sometimes it is dark and raining. No one about, just me and urban foxes. Maybe a few die hard joggers, night shifters, graffiti artists … that sort of thing.

It is interesting walking through wooded areas which can be very dark.

WalkerJeroenFosdick
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2021

Perhaps you could try spicing it up by throwing a bit of backward walking into the mix...

Tee Hee!
    I sometimes, when appropriate, turn around and take a few reverse steps to see what is behind me, if anything.
    Quite happy to go forward.

Had a great walk today, warm breeze, greets to, park garbage bagger, jogger with torch headband …

I wear green fluorescent hand bands. I practice:

• breathing, mostly relaxed nasal
    • relaxing, who needs tense shoulders to walk
    • being in the walk rather than mind chatter
    • being aware of sense gates, surprising how much bird song is about in the dark. I think they are singing to the warm spring like weather, moon behind clouds or path lamps.

Walk on bonus track

Walker
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

So you walk for pleasure in the dark @lobster? It seems a shame that you can’t see the wildlife in the morning.

Some wildlife I occasionally encounter while walking out and about…

In a nearby nature park the numbers of deer have been getting a bit out of hand, and so the athletes among the deer have been jumping the fences and coming into town in order to look for a snack. No garden or planting of shrubs in the middle of roundabouts has been safe…

WalkerShoshin1FosdickBunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

When there are delectables to be had
    our adult deer think a 7 ft fence is little more than a breakfast appetizer while the young ones perfect the limbo shimmy for passage through ridiculously small spaces at a fence's base.

lobsterJeroen
  • How to walk?
    Walk with purpose
    But enjoy the view
    Walk with pride
    But be humble
    Walk with certainty
    But be willing to question.
    Walk tall
    But be ready to stoop
    That you may help another
    Walk with your eyes open
    As allow yourself to dream

Peace to all

JeffreylobsterKotishka
  • Went for a family walk yesterday. We drove into the country. Sunny winter day. We stroked ponies. We saw grazing animals. Flowering winter plants. Clear sky. Oh sure one of us can barely walk … but they did. At least two are crazy and I may be seven of those two. We sat outside to have tea and pastries. We bought second hand books, one on Hygge.
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hatchlands-park

BunksJeffreyWalkerLionduck
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Found this happy chap on my morning walk recently.....

JeffreyShoshin1WalkerJeroen
  • @Bunks said:
    Found this happy chap on my morning walk recently.....

Very trippy @Bunks

Bunks
  • Why was walking a high-risk activity in London? And why would anything have changed, in view of the fact, that an even more highly communicable variant of Covid is at large? I'm trying to understand your situation, OP. In the US, walking has been one of the few "safe" and permissible activities. Walking and bicycling. With or without masks, depending on the recommendations or requirements at any given time.

I took a class once, that included instruction and a group practicum on walking meditation. It was very interesting. It involves maintaining the deep breathing technique that one uses during everyday meditation at home, and arm movement while you walk, along with a meditative mindfulness. It transforms the walking experience. You could experiment with it.

Bunks
  • Walklng in London, or New York for tha matter, is always High Risk =)
    But is is also very interesting.
    London is one of the most fascinating cities in the World.
    At this time, as always, as elsewhere, just be mindful and take precautions to protect yourself and others.

Peace to all

BunkslobsterShoshin1Walker
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Take care @lobster <3

I thought it had something to do with being run down by crazy cabbies…

BunksLionduckShoshin1
  • If you want crazy cabbies, New York takes the prize.
    Crazy drivers: Perhaps Paris, Athens, Rome, Bangkok, all of China..
    Insane drivers - Nope! Too traumatic. But you could tempt fate with some folks who love to drive around in overloaded pickup trucks, flying weird flags, playing obnoxiously loud music, doing donuts on the street, tossing their empty beer cans and bottles as they go. (And calling everyone else crazy).

Yep! The world is a crazy serious-funny place. But take it with a grain of salt and don't ever be afraid to laugh - especially at yourself.

Peace to all

JeffreyBunkslobster
  • First I thought I had to walk to the destination. Then I discovered the destination may be the walk itself. Now what kind of walk? And how do I remember to walk that way always?

lobster
  • Then I discovered the destination may be the walk itself.

Ah ha!
    mmm … it may indeed.

You can learn different formal walking methods. Try Vimeo, youtube or just headphones on your phone aural guidance.

I walk aerobically. Fast.
    The other day used nasal in breath and mouth out breath focus. No watching environment. Other possibilities:

• mala in pocket for mantra whilst moving …
    • looking skyward, rather than on ground
    • meta bhavna on the move

Good luck!
    https://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/44209024040/i-and-i-and-the-flying-spaghetti-monster

FleaMarketBunks

Bunks