Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Shoshin1 said:

@Kotishka said:
    I want to buy an hourglass. Any ideas? One hour to 30 minutes timer. Yes, meditation purposes, but also studying :)

Have you looked online ?

Amazon has quite a nice selection…

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Hourglass&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

• On the news last night there was a segment where they explained the blood red colour appearance of the moon...It was something to do with rays of light reflecting off the moon from the sun, and the reason why the moon looked red was because the red coloured rays were longer than the other colours, it would seem that in this still shot, my phone camera eye was trying to bring it altogether, capturing the flashes of colours of the sun's rays bouncing off the moon...

...Or it could just be a dirty lens ;):)

Bunks
  • @Shoshin1 I found it! Etsy.com <3

Shoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Etsy is a nice site, especially if you like to prefer smaller manufacturers and hand-crafted items. Amazon can be cheaper but it’s all mass-produced.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

This is the view out my back door today. Temperature has been within 2 degrees of 0 F. day and night for 10 days and counting. It is a mystery to me how the birds survive during these cold snaps - they stop coming to the feeder. Maybe they go to other, more richly endowed feeders in the area.

WalkerShoshin1Jeroenlobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Wow! So beautiful @Fosdick - getting hot and dry here. Hard to imagine being in the snow.

• What's snow ??? ;)

WalkerJeroenKotishka
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited November 2021

Amazing ....Your garden looks like a winter wonderland @Fosdick.. very picturesque...

Went on a long walk today in the area of the river IJssel, where there used to be the Hanseatic League cities.

WalkerBunkslobsterShoshin1

Lovely @Jeroen

Jeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The Hanseatic League: For those unaware:
    What was the main purpose of the Hanseatic League?
    Hanseatic League, also called Hansa, German Hanse, organization founded by north German towns and German merchant communities abroad to protect their mutual trading interests. The league dominated commercial activity in northern Europe from the 13th to the 15th century.

Bunks
  • Animal companions are for many, part of the family and when they pass, grief and the sense of loss can be just as strong...

"Transient alas; are all component things
    Subject are they to birth and then decay
    Having gained birth, to death the life flux swings
    Bliss truly dawns when unrest dies away"

The cycle of life

WalkerBunkslobster
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Yes, he was very much part of our family. He will be greatly missed, but we will have many wonderful memories of him.

BunksShoshin1

WalkerShoshin1federicaJeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • Put the babies in charge @federica … oh they are (explains a lot) B)

BunksWalkerShoshin1

Sounds like you’re having a bit of a cold blast in England?

Jeroen

We watch the BBC news most evenings so are well up to date with how England is faring, we hear about all kinds of things such as storms over Edinburgh, red weather alerts, people cueing to climb up Mt Snowden and the immigrants attempting to cross the channel.

Bunks

BunksWalker

Getting our first real hint of summer
    30, 29 and 28 next three days

Walkerlobster

@Bunks said:

Of course, now is the ideal time to begin taking those cold showers... ;)

Bunks

I have rejoined the hordes of gym-training proletarians.

BunksShoshin1
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    I have rejoined the hordes of gym-training proletarians.

I have too but am still nervous about my fellow indoor exercising deep breathers and that only about 30 % are wearing masks.

BunksWalkerShoshin1
    edited November 2021

Around 10 turned up for Monday evening's Buddhism on the beach and from what I gather all fully vaxxed..

We finished just as it got dark...It was nice catching up with Dharma friends IRL..

BunksWalkerlobsterFosdick

@federica said:

@Bunks said:

Of course, now is the ideal time to begin taking those cold showers... ;)

Oh yes! I must re-visit our chat <3

I'm with you @Bunks! In spirit, I hasten to add... I don't want anyone round here getting ideas, adding 2 + 2 and making 37...!

Bunks
    edited November 2021

@federica said:
    I'm with you @Bunks! In spirit, I hasten to add... I don't want anyone round here getting ideas, adding 2 + 2 and making 37...!

Hahaha

Just finished shower - did about 5 seconds fully cold.

Think I should watch the breathing video as it literally took my breath away and I couldn't breathe. Maybe need to work on that :)

• Think I should watch the breathing video as it literally took my breath away and I couldn't breathe. Maybe need to work on that :)

Try a mantra out breathing to start. ('Jesus Christ, why is there no hot water' is mostly not a mantra). Or how about feeding the hell realms with your pain? Can you relax whilst in a state of no breath?

Bunks

The breathing is key though, if you get that started it doesn’t feel so cold.

Bunksfederica

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will try again tomorrow morning.

• @how said:

I have too but am still nervous about my fellow indoor exercising deep breathers and that only about 30 % are wearing masks.

I carry a mask when I'm jolking, because I use a narrow bush track, arched with low hanging branches which leads down to the beach (bearing in mind I'm puffing and panting by the time I get there)...Some track users are mindful of how narrow it is and also wear or carry masks at the ready when using the track, but on a number of occasions I've come across people without masks, however for the most part they do try to get out the way as much as possible by turning away from me as I 'puff' pass them...wearing my mask...

I guess it's difficult to tell if a person is exempt from wearing one (for medical reasons), forgot to bring one, or is anti mask wearing or a Covid denier... We have our fair share of Covid deniers on the island...

BunksJeroen

@Bunks said:
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Will try again tomorrow morning.

I do really recommend you get hold of a n inexpensive thermometer; one you can hold in the flow of water (nearest the shower head) to gauge the temperature of the flow. something like a small Greenhouse thermometer, with easy-to-read numbers.. I think you'll be surprised...

Bunks
  • Isn't nature dukkhaish? @Shoshin1 Anyone would think the butterfly hell realms are Nirvana.
    Here is me dreaming I am a flutterby or vice versa …

https://www.philosophy-foundation.org/enquiries/view/the-butterfly-dream

Bunks

That’s a worthy milestone @shoshin1 … I hope you’ve got something to treat yourself with?

Shoshin1
    edited December 2021

@Jeroen said:
    That’s a worthy milestone @shoshin1 … I hope you’ve got something to treat yourself with?

Yes, with another run in the morning ;)

Bunkslobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2021

Victoria BC's version of Mad Max meets Christmas

Spent some of last night with some other kids watching the Santa truck parade barrel through the streets of Victoria. This is where 80 or so Santa's in the biggest trucks/mobile cranes/ cement mixers/ stone slingers etc who have spent the previous week attaching as many Christmas lights/musical horns/laser displays/soap bubble makers as possible to portable generators that they are also carrying, get to race around on police cleared main streets. It is madness for sure but the locals all turn out for the show.
    Ear protection is definitely advisable. It was Covid cancelled last year and this years race seemed a bit saner and slower than previous years where it looked like various Santa's were all competing in who could get their own mammoth's to do the best drifts around street corners.
    What could possibly go wrong?

WalkerBunksShoshin1Kotishka
  • The island will be having a Santa parade this coming Saturday...

"Bah Humbug"

WalkerBunks

Yawn...

lobster
  • @Bunks said:
    Yawn...

Well demonstrated. Yawning is related to pranayama, getting energy/life/spirit/prana into the system. I'll see your yawn and raise it to [dramatic pause - too late] … zz zzz zzzz

Bunks

I propose we organise our own "parade" here, and post photos of any type of "Christmassy feel" pictures, just to show willing to be jolly, if not actually participating in the standard, annual Yuletide madness!
    I'll open a thread in "General Banter" and anyone who wants to join in The season of Goodwill to all Men, can do so!

Bunks

I must admit I've become more hesitant to swim in the sea these days.

This happened about 20 minutes away from where I live.

https://www.3aw.com.au/teens-taken-to-hospital-after-bellarine-peninsula-shark-attack/

Shoshin1
  • Oh how I miss the adrenaline rush when I used to go body surfing in Coogee and the shark siren goes off, it's quite amazing how fast one can move to get out of the water..

BunksJeroen

@Bunks said:
    I must admit I've become more hesitant to swim in the sea these days.

This happened about 20 minutes away from where I live.

https://www.3aw.com.au/teens-taken-to-hospital-after-bellarine-peninsula-shark-attack/

Snakes, spiders, sharks... However chilly and morose the weather, however mundane the wildlife, I think the UK is safer!

JeroenBunksWalker