Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All things Sport(s)

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    The only team in all four divisions to have not won a game yet.

And Norwich was the perfect opportunity to break that duck, I see.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Cricket’s greatest rivalry has recommenced in Brisbane. Australia v England.
    Aussies on top but England showing some fight in the second innings

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I saw Barcelona went out of the Champions League in the group stages, how the mighty have fallen. It does show the influence of huge amounts of money in the modern game, the club ran into financial difficulties and they lost Luis Suarez, Messi and Griezmann, and suddenly a lot of the attacking threat vanished.

Currently Atletico Madrid look like a more credible Spanish league runner-up than Barcelona, which is a huge shift in power. How the mighty have fallen…

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You won't mind if I don't tell my husband, @Bunks... He's already grumpy enough as it is...

Last race of the F1 Grand Prix. Everything hangs on the results of this race. Hamilton doesn't have to win the race; he just needs to finish ahead of Verstappen... and he's lost Pole..

Bunks

@federica said:
    You won't mind if I don't tell my husband, @Bunks... He's already grumpy enough as it is...

Last race of the F1 Grand Prix. Everything hangs on the results of this race. Hamilton doesn't have to win the race; he just needs to finish ahead of Verstappen... and he's lost Pole..

Haha yes! The Aussies ended up steam rolling them so have gone 1-0 up. Still 4 games to go so not over yet.
    I had heard the F1 had gone down to the wire. Will be interested to hear how it ends up.

Verstappen got pole position, that should make things interesting.

BunksWalker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Could be interesting. Remember Senna and Prost last race action in '89 and '90?

In my family there are a few people who have been following the racing avidly all year, I suppose I will hear all about it from them.

Bunks

Leicester 4 Newcastle 0

:(

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Mercedes are not taking this lying down. This final race ended in a farce, and I think the decision was completely unfair and unacceptable.

Bunks

Good to see Max win his first driver’s Championship.

Bunks

Champions League round of 16 fixtures:

Salzburg v Bayern
    Sporting CP v Man. City
    Benfica v Ajax
    Chelsea v LOSC
    Atlético v Man. United
    Villarreal v Juventus
    Inter v Liverpool
    Paris v Real Madrid

A few mismatches, I expect Bayern will be a size too big for Salzburg. But a few very tasty ties, Atletico v Man United and Paris v Real Madrid should be interesting. Ajax got a fair draw, it could have been worse than Benfica.

BunksWalker

New Orleans Saints at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It was a tremendous performance by the Saints defense to hold the Bucs scoreless, they sacked Brady four times. The final score was 9-0, talk about a low scoring game, not one touchdown. The Bucs kicker did miss a couple of field goal attempts.

Bunks
    edited December 2021

I see England are thrashing Australia in the Ashes series. W.G. Grace must be high-velocity spinning in his grave... Come back Botham, all is forgiven!!

@federica said:
    I see England are thrashing Australia in the Ashes series. W.G. Grace must be high-velocity spinning in his grave... Come back Botham, all is forgiven!!

Haha, even we love Beefy and it takes a lot for an Australian to admit that.
    I think England will get better as the series goes on but by then it will be too late.

Saw that Newcastle took a beating from Man City, not entirely unexpected.

@Jeroen said:
    Saw that Newcastle took a beating from Man City, not entirely unexpected.

Yeah, they’re a class above. Give it three years and we will be nipping at their heals

On a brighter note - Arsenal! Yay! Husband is a happy chappie!

@federica said:
    On a brighter note - Arsenal! Yay! Husband is a happy chappie!

They’re doing quite well this season although there are still fans out there who want Arteta out!

Exciting penalty shoot out this morning between Liverpool and Leicester.

Liverpool got the chocolates 5-4

Walker
    edited December 2021

Ajax seems finally to have picked up a decent central striker in Sebastian Haller, who scored 10 goals during the Champions League group stages, joining Christiano Ronaldo, Robert Lewandowski, and Lionel Messi as the only players to have scored 10 or more. Not bad company. Haller had stints with Eintracht Frankfurt and West Ham United before joining Ajax last year, and is now 27 years old.

WalkerBunks

Yeeeeeeessssss! Good times for Australian cricket ❤️😃

Wow, that’s kind of shocking for an Ashes tour.

Bunks

Yes! The inquisition into the woes of test cricket in England have begun.
    They’ll come back again I’m sure

It’s the tail end of the NFL season in the US, and the last few games are deciding the remaining places in the play-offs. Quite a few exciting matches with a few upsets. The New England Patriots have managed to secure a spot but with a rookie quarterback nobody is expecting them to get very far.

BunksJeffrey
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@Jeroen said:

Sadly, it's only the beginning of the torture for anyone who hates cricket in Australia (IE me). It is the one thing that ruins Summer for me. I long for the days of AFL and NRL :anguished:

Bunks

@SuraShine said:

@Jeroen said:

Sadly, it's only the beginning of the torture for anyone who hates cricket in Australia (IE me). It is the one thing that ruins Summer for me. I long for the days of AFL and NRL :anguished:

I always felt sorry for my Mum who loves tennis but was never allowed to watch it in Summer as she shared a house with four cricket obsessed males! 😂

@SuraShine said:

@Jeroen said:

Who do you follow in the AFL and NRL @SuraShine ? I’m a Carlton fan (for my sins) but don’t really follow anyone in NRL. Just enjoy watching the game.

I saw that Newcastle lost in the FA Cup, commiserations @bunks

@Jeroen said:
    I saw that Newcastle lost in the FA Cup, commiserations @bunks

Haha yep. We fielded pretty much our best 11 and lost to a team 40 places below us at home!

The new owners must be wondering what on earth they’ve got themselves in to.

@Bunks said:

Who do you follow in the AFL and NRL @SuraShine ? I’m a Carlton fan (for my sins) but don’t really follow anyone in NRL. Just enjoy watching the game.

Hehehe I actually detest both Port and the Crows. I'm a St Kilda fan (blame my Mum I suppose). I'm also a Manly fan so I'm often ridiculed for that too :awesome:

@SuraShine said:

@Bunks said:

Hehehe I actually detest both Port and the Crows. I'm a St Kilda fan (blame my Mum I suppose). I'm also a Manly fan so I'm often ridiculed for that too :awesome:

Ah yes! I believe Manly are the Collingwood of the NRL.
    As for the Saints, I’d describe that as child abuse but that’s just me. :p

@Bunks said:

Ah yes! I believe Manly are the Collingwood of the NRL

Only with more teeth :awesome:

As for the Saints, I’d describe that as child abuse but that’s just me. :p

Surely not sour grapes LOL

2021 AFL Ladder

Ouch! Low blow…..one of my best mates is a Saints fan. We thought we might go to Darwin to watch them play during the season (if they’ll let us in!)

SuraShine
  • Klay Thompson returned after 941 days away from the court. The Golden State Warriors Splash Brother, who hadn't played in an NBA game since the 2019 Finals due to ACL and Achilles injuries, made his much-anticipated season debut with 17 points in 20 minutes during the Warriors' win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Sunday.

I've been waiting for his return and glad he had a good night considering that it's been a long time away from actual NBA game time competition. He is a guy who is easy to be a fan of and he says:

"I will never forget the reception that Warriors fans gave us, especially myself," Thompson said. "Gosh it was fun and it was worth every single day of being away and in that squat rack or on that shuttle board and all the conditioning days. It was worth every single moment.

Bunks

@Jeffrey said:

Klay Thompson returned after 941 days away from the court. The Golden State Warriors Splash Brother, who hadn't played in an NBA game since the 2019 Finals due to ACL and Achilles injuries, made his much-anticipated season debut with 17 points in 20 minutes during the Warriors' win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Sunday.

I've been waiting for his return and glad he had a good night considering that it's been a long time away from actual NBA game time competition. He is a guy who is easy to be a fan of and he says:

"I will never forget the reception that Warriors fans gave us, especially myself," Thompson said. "Gosh it was fun and it was worth every single day of being away and in that squat rack or on that shuttle board and all the conditioning days. It was worth every single moment.

Always nice to see someone return from a long term injury....wish him every success <3

edited January 2022

This weekends schedule of NFL playoff games:

Sat: Raiders v Bengals 19-26
    Sat: Patriots v Bills 17-47
    Sun: Eagles v Buccaneers 0-17 (playing now)
    Sun: 49ers v Cowboys
    Sun: Steelers v Chiefs
    Mon: Cardinals v Rams

Bunks

@Jeroen said:

Sun: Eagles v Buccaneers 0-17 (playing now)
    Sun: 49ers v Cowboys
    Sun: Steelers v Chiefs
    Mon: Cardinals v Rams

Who do you think wins it @Jeroen ?

The Aussies complete another comfortable win against England in the Ashes down in Hobart last night.

Ended up winning the series 4-0 out of five. Would have won the fifth but we batted 30 mins too long on Day 4 in Sydney.

England have some soul searching to do......

• Different sport, but I like the All BLACK =)

@Lionduck said:
    Different sport, but I like the All BLACK =)

Well I don't ;)

SuraShineShoshin1Lionduck
  • @Bunks said:

@Lionduck said:

Well I don't ;)

...and neither do the Wallabies ;);)

SuraShine

@Shoshin1 said:

@Bunks said:

@Lionduck said:

Well I don't ;)

...and neither do the Wallabies ;);)

Don’t start! Haha

Shoshin1
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited January 2022

Well, @Bunks, we could share a pint or two at the local accompanied by good natured razzing over the scrims. But, there is a wee bit of water in the way.
    the brief time I was with the Aussies in Viet Nam, it was quite clear they liked their beer and their teams the same way - LOCAL. =)B)
    Since then, in addition to tracing my family roots from England via Australia, I have had a fondness for Australians but have not to date been able to travel Down Under. :3
    As for the All Black, years ago, I was casually meandering the sports channels when the All Black caught my attention. I began watching them and thus gain a liking for Rugby.

Enjoy your Summer.

Peace to you

Shoshin1SuraShine
    edited January 2022

I’ve always had a soft spot for the All Blacks as well. I once worked on a piece of software relating to the Rugby World Cup, so had to do a bit of research and that was the point where I got into contact with Rugby. I thought that every small country should be dominant in one sport, and New Zealand’s All Blacks seemed ‘plucky’. Plus I liked the haka.

@Jeroen said:
    I’ve always had a soft spot for the All Blacks as well. I once worked on a piece of software relating to the Rugby World Cup, so had to do a bit of research and that was the point where I got into contact with Rugby. I thought that every small country should be dominant in one sport, and New Zealand’s All Blacks seemed ‘plucky’. Plus I liked the haka.

Yeah, they have clearly been the best Rugby team in the world for the past couple of decades.
    We respect them through gritted teeth.
    Tbh I don’t even like Rugby haha. But each to their own

@Lionduck said:
    Well, @Bunks, we could share a pint or two at the local accompanied by good natured razzing over the scrims. But, there is a wee bit of water in the way.
    the brief time I was with the Aussies in Viet Nam, it was quite clear they liked their beer and their teams the same way - LOCAL. =)B)
    Since then, in addition to tracing my family roots from England via Australia, I have had a fondness for Australians but have not to date been able to travel Down Under. :3
    As for the All Black, years ago, I was casually meandering the sports channels when the All Black caught my attention. I began watching them and thus gain a liking for Rugby.

Enjoy your Summer.

Peace to you

Who knows! Maybe you’ll get back here one day and we can share that pint. Make sure you look me up if you come down.

Lionduck
    edited January 2022

@Jeroen said:

Sun: Eagles v Buccaneers 15-31
    Sun: 49ers v Cowboys 23-17
    Sun: Steelers v Chiefs 21-42
    Mon: Cardinals v Rams 11-34

Just to complete the lineup. The Green Bay Packers and the Tennessee Titans got byes as the strongest team in each league, and so they are added to the winners of the above six wildcard matches.

This weekend we have…

Sat: Bengals v Titans
    Sun: 49ers v Packers
    Sun: Rams v Buccaneers
    Mon: Bills v Chiefs

I think we will have a Buffalo Bills v Green Bay Packers meeting in the Super Bowl, and the Packers to win it. But you know, every team that’s playing now has a squad with genuine strengths and few weaknesses, and a claim to a title shot. It wouldn’t surprise me if we see a Chiefs v Buccaneers rematch in the Super Bowl instead.

They say defenses win Super Bowls, and on that front you’d think the Bills would win it. We will have to wait and see, some good matches still to come.

Bunks