Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2022

Wow, that's hot @Bunks

Mrs Walker's uncle and his family used to live in Karratha. (He passed away a few years back and his wife, kids and grandkids are in Perth now.)

Meanwhile, it's warm here. Freezing rain this morning. We had about three weeks of very cold weather over Xmas and New Years.

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

That minister is a bit of a clown… if the courts decided, it seems fair to let that stand and let Djokovic play.

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited January 2022

Well the internet is down on the property has been since Tuesday, so I can only access the internet on my phone when I'm out and about...A technician won't be out to fix it until the 18th...So I've been reading a book and listening to the radio on my phone...
    I must admit the first evening there was a sense of loss and craving...however it soon passed...My neighbour lon the otherhand has gone to stay with her friend for a few days, she found it quite hard not having access to the internet...
    Also cyclone Cody is on its way arriving later day or tomorrow, plus heard that a tsunami warning has been issued for some area of the Pacific, due to an underwater earthquake not sure if it will affect Aotearoa too ...
    Never a dull moment... down under🙃

BunksWalker
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Take care @Shoshin1 - my daughter starts panicking when the wifi goes down for fifteen minutes so I think I’d be packed up and moving out if we lost connection like your neighbour 😂

Shoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Sounds like a bit of a raw deal @shoshin maybe you can set up your phone as a wifi hotspot and then connect your other devices?

Shoshin1
  • Most of the time when the internet has been down I can't use my phone's data unless I'm away from the property, the reception is not the best even when it's up and running... I'm on the ferry on my way to Auckland to do some shopping, so while I'm away I have internet access...
    Well they are saying that the tail end of cyclone Cody will hit tomorrow and also to expect big waves from the underwater earthquake near Tonga, the Tongan islands have already been hit by huge waves, not sure of what the damage is, hopefully no lives lost.....

BunksJeroen
  • Correction it was an underwater volcanic eruption and not an earthquake, however it cause a tsunami, and volcanic ash and for a time communications in Tonga were down...I think NZ is sending a plane with supplies plus a navy ship...

BunksJeroen

@Shoshin1 said:
    Correction it was an underwater volcanic eruption and not an earthquake, however it cause a tsunami, and volcanic ash and for a time communications in Tonga were down...I think NZ is sending a plane with supplies plus a navy ship...

Hope all are ok <3

Shoshin1

Any sign of a tsunami in your part of the world @Shoshin1 ? I don’t know anyone who lives closer…

BunksShoshin1
  • @Jeroen said:
    Any sign of a tsunami in your part of the world @Shoshin1 ? I don’t know anyone who lives closer…

Not at the moment....the tsunami warning for Aotearoa (NZ) has been cancelled.... for now....Phew...

BunksWalker
  • @Kotishka said:
    @Bunks
    No worries, Lanzarote :D

Wow Lanzarote
    Heard it's a beautiful island..no doubt like all the Canary islands...
    Had a cousin who lived there back in the mid 80s early 90s he was from the UK...
    My son and his wife visited Tenerife last year...

Bunks
  • @Shoshin1 Though vegetation sometimes is missed -really dry here in Lanzarote and Fuerteventura- the view of the Atlantic Ocean and the feeling of "eternal" Spring makes up for it :)

Don't you feel islands have this magical hermit feeling sometimes?

Also, glad to know no tsunamis are coming your way. I didn't know tsunamis occurred there...!

BunksShoshin1
  • @Kotishka said:
    @Shoshin1 Though vegetation sometimes is missed -really dry here in Lanzarote and Fuerteventura- the view of the Atlantic Ocean and the feeling of "eternal" Spring makes up for it :)

Don't you feel islands have this magical hermit feeling sometimes?

Also, glad to know no tsunamis are coming your way. I didn't know tsunamis occurred there...!

We tend to have lots of earthquakes in this part of the world and tsunami warnings depend a lot on the size of the quake or in this case volcanic eruption... there hasn't been a big tsunami for quite some time here (Aotearoa NZ) but plenty of quakes...

Island life for me( well most of the time) is like one big retreat...for the most part the island has a laidback feel to it, mind you back in the late 60s through to the late 90s most island residents were hippies and hermits ..just tiny one/two bedroom cottages no massive multimillion dollar houses 'normal' people didn't want to live here it was to remote for them...then it all changed when the fast ferries arrived (35 minutes ferry ride to Auckland city centre, instead of 2hours)...more mainlanders started to buy up land and build houses...

BunksWalkerKotishka

Sounds like a nice day @shoshin1

Shoshin1
  • It was nice @Jeroen....almost perfect day

There have been quite a few complaints about the chopper noises lately..as they come and go from private helipads on the island ..

I often see one or two choppers taking off or landing, the owners wealthy business men and woman, who see the island (well large parts of the island which they now own) as their private getaway retreat....

BunksJeroenWalker
  • On this morning's jolk...is it a bird is it a plane..

...no it's a celestial body ...
    It's a beautiful day so I went for a skinny dip, (getting the dips in before Omicron makes its presence felt-they say within a week it will be making its way through Aotearoa)....

It was like stepping into a warm bath...The ocean is much warmer than usual, more tropical than sub tropical....

BunksJeroenlobsterWalker
  • This morning's jolk, cat scratches across the blue sky

Then amazing clouds on my way up from a sun soak & skinny dip...

Walker

Morning all! Another hot and humid one today. A bit of a heatwave at the minute.

Shoshin1Walkerlobster
  • Nice sunrise @Bunks ...
    We had a drop in temperature here today, plus it is overcast and rainy...and tomorrow more rain to come...mind you we need it...

BunksWalker
    edited January 2022

Thunderstorm last night, I could hear the thunder rolling in with flashes of lightening...I was standing on the deck and a one stage and it shook as the thunder clapped overhead...Which reminds me....

My youngest boy was an exchange student in Peru when he was at high school, (I think he was 17 at the time, he taught himself Spanish) he was staying with a family who lived in the city of Iquitos it's known as the "capital of the Peruvian Amazon" , from what I gather the only way to reach the city was either by boat or plane...
    Anyhow one day he visited the mighty Amazon river and was standing at the bank of the river, when an almighty thunderstorm hit and the whole earth shook violently beneath his feet, he said it was an amazing experience...

Well it wasn't quite like that here last night, but some locals did say their houses shook....

This morning it was quite humid on my jolk, now it's hot and sunny, but more rain is forecast for later today....

BunksWalker

Still bloody hot here! Make sure I get all my outdoor chores done by lunch time. Don’t want to be outside in it….

Shoshin1Walker
  • Wow, we think it's bloody hot when it's in the high twenties here @Bunks ...It's in the high twenties today, but I'm guess in Vic it's much warmer...

edited January 2022

@Shoshin1 said:
    Wow, we think it's bloody hot when it's in the high twenties here @Bunks ...It's in the high twenties today, but I'm guess in Vic it's much warmer...

Yeah, 36 at the moment. The thing I can never get used to is that the heat peaks at about 5pm.
    I got caught out in Auckland a few times going out at night after a warm day with shorts and tshirt on and it got cool at night. Over here it stays warm all night.
    Auckland is more humid than here though which surprised me. Almost tropical.

WalkerShoshin1
  • We do get quite a few hot and humid nights here too @Bunks ..the last couple of nights has been hot and humid...

Bunks

Too hot and too cold are both unsatisfactory,
    But all we can do is accept and endure.
    In this way, can we avoid the second arrow?

Bunks
  • Which reminds me
    Whether the weather is cold, whether the weather is hot
    We will weather the weather whatever the weather whether we like it or not

BunksJeroenWalker

Shoshin1
    edited January 2022

At the moment the weather is hot and the ocean is warm ( lukewarm)...so I'll weather the weather whatever the weather and have a well deserved plop ...🙃🙂

Bunks
  • On my way home from the beach I saw an unusual sight for the island ...a group of fundies were standing on a corner in the village holding billboards which said "Jesus is coming soon"

I was tempted to wind down the window and ask them if he has his vaccine pass or a negative Covid test...He won't be allowed on the island without one ;)

BunksWalker

What’s a fundie?

edited January 2022

@Bunks said:
    What’s a fundie?

religious fundamentalists of any religion or denomination, although it is primarily directed towards fundamentalist Christians.

Bunks

@Shoshin1

religious fundamentalists of any religion or denomination, although it is primarily directed towards fundamentalist Christians.

Well you learn something new every day

edited January 2022

I didn’t know either… thanks @shoshin1

If jesus is coming soon, what has he been doing all this time? The world has gone to hell in a handbasket…

Shoshin1

I’d be asking them to be a bit more specific

Hasn’t Jesus been here all along?

BunksShoshin1
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a bunch of fundies at a major intersection pronouncing the same message @Shoshin1 They were waving their signs and playing some music.

I remember my mom, who got into the all 'end times' stuff in the seventies. She was big into the prophetic narrative by people like Hal Lindsay.

BunksShoshin1

@Shoshin1 said:
    In the mid eighties early nineties my ex brother in-law became a born again Christian preacher, anti this, anti that, Jesus loves the sinner not the sin and so on...Used to get an earful when visiting my sister and her husband when him and his wife turned up...

Then in the early 2000s, I was having a catch up chat with my sister and she told me that he came 'out' had left his wife, moved in with his 'boyfriend' and was into partying and heavily into drugs and booze ...

Fortunately after a while he saw the light, he and his boyfriend are still together, however he stopped the drug taking and booze and is now a Zen Buddhist...

The moral of this story....Miracle do happen, change is inevitable.......suffering optional...

Sounds like my ex wife. I was always waiting for what her next crusade would be! Knowing full well it would be dropped in six months for another.

Hard to take people like that seriously.

WalkerShoshin1
  • Tee hee!
    Dharma is not a fad, a fade to grey but a move towards real conscious being. That reminds me of craft orientated mindfulness @Shoshin1. Used in Sufism … but all around when we open to it.

BunksJeroen

@Shoshin1 said:
    In the mid eighties early nineties my ex brother in-law became a born again Christian preacher, anti this, anti that, Jesus loves the sinner not the sin and so on...Used to get an earful when visiting my sister and her husband when him and his wife turned up...

Then in the early 2000s, I was having a catch up chat with my sister and she told me that he came 'out' had left his wife, moved in with his 'boyfriend' and was into partying and heavily into drugs and booze ...

Fortunately after a while he saw the light, he and his boyfriend are still together, however he stopped the drug taking and booze and is now a Zen Buddhist...

The moral of this story....Miracle do happen, change is inevitable.......suffering optional...

How funny! You never know, he may have found enlightenment, after all Angulimala did…

Shoshin1
    edited January 2022

On my jolk this morning, first I saw the rainbows in the water as the waves reached the shore, next I could smell and taste it, then I felt a bit of a headache...

Quite a bit of fuel from a boat had reached the shore, then further along the beach there was flotsam and jetsam, bits of the boat's furniture and lots of plastic had washed up...

I picked up quite a bit of plastic from the beach and others were moving the larger washed up stuff to higher ground...

I must admit my first thought when I saw the rainbows, smelt the fuel and saw the first bit of furniture part of a lounge, was bloody careless boaties, partying it up over this long weekend, but on seeing more debris, I wasn't too sure, then someone on the beach said a boat must have sunk... and the thought that followed was I hope those onboard are safe...

Well actually my very first thought when seeing the rainbow patterns on the water was that's a pretty pattern...then the other thought kicked in when the smell came...

BunkslobsterWalker
  • @Jeroen said:

How funny! You never know, he may have found enlightenment, after all Angulimala did…

Come to think of it, my ex brother in-law's experience reminds me a bit of the 2001 movie Samsara, where a young monk leaves monastic life to explores worldly things...

Bunks
  • I like that noticing that @Shoshin1 expresses. A form of attention.

Shoshin1
  • Here's the culprit of the fuel spill and flotsam and jetsam ...

Also a couple of large dead fish the gulls were feeding on/recycling, not sure what species of fish they are/were...

BunksWalker
  • On this morning's jolk I saw the main part of the boat had washed up...

There were a couple of small trucks parked up from the beach, not far from the wreckage...not sure if they were salvage people...

BunksWalker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Like you, @Shoshin1, I am hopeful that there were no casualties... but also like you, no doubt, I have with those feelings, the mixture of anger and frustration at the pollution caused and the clearing up that is needed, in the wake of what simply amounts to having a bit of fun at Nature's expense...

Shoshin1BunksWalker