Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Non-self and suffering

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

It struck me while I was reading Adyashanti in Falling into Grace, that thinking of yourself as an independent self causes us to feel separation from everything, it introduces the concept of enemies, it creates otherness and thus suffering. Non-self on the other hand strongly inclines one to experiences of unity and oneness.

I got a little excited, some of the pieces were fitting together…

BunksDavidShoshin1FleaMarket

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    It struck me while I was reading Adyashanti in Falling into Grace, that thinking of yourself as an independent self causes us to feel separation from everything, it introduces the concept of enemies, it creates otherness and thus suffering. Non-self on the other hand strongly inclines one to experiences of unity and oneness.

I got a little excited, some of the pieces were fitting together…

It’s a beautiful thing….I highly recommend you read “Seeing yourself as you really are” by HHDL. Read it more than once if you need to 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

DavidShoshin1
  • Non-self and suffering

Thus have I heard

Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya Nothing whatsoever should be clung to...

In other words...To cling is to suffer....(Tell me about it ;) )

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Yes, this is one of the insights that arise out of an understanding/experience of dependent co-arising and not-self, or what Thich Nhat Hanh called inter-being. It's also found in places like Spinoza's conception of God/Nature.

Bunks